Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What Jeremy Clarkson thinks of America and the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 AM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Peace brothers! - my ears are burnin!

You may recall my post 21/8/2007 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561587915

`Mr Clarkson has a remarkable talent that enables him, at the drop of a hat, to talk a load of old rubbish about absolutely any subject that you might care to choose.

Cars? - just the tip of the iceberg! - the culinary arts, politics, philosophy, economics, the evolution of life, the fate of the Universe - you ask him and he can do it.

Soon we are told, there is to be published a little Red Book of the great man`s thoughts - a volume whose contents in terms of its sagacity and vision will no doubt excel the previous efforts of a well known Chinese person [now deceased], in the quest to expand the realm of human consciousness.

Of course he looks impressive , and sounds impressive - but only because he is rather large and talks loudly.`

Not all of us on this side of `the pond` like, or for that matter believe what `Mr C` says - if i`d listened to him then I would never have bought a Z06

As for the rest of it - well, give us a break guys! - even Ben Franklin`s father was English, born in Ecton, Northants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by songman3; 08-27-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rms427
He lost a lot of credibility when he complained about the fuel use at the end of his review. The Z06 gets about twice the gas mileage of the 599 Ferrari he gushes about. I wonder how many folks use a 599 Ferrari as a daily driver?

Exactly!! I just drove from Michigan to Washington DC in my Z06 and got 27 mpg...

His statement only demonstrated that he really did not drive it... let alone know how to.

He was bad mouthing the Corvette last year too. I would bet he is on the payroll of Astin Martin or another who has a financial stake in smearing the Corvette.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by songman3
P
`Mr Clarkson has a remarkable talent that enables him, at the drop of a hat, to talk a load of old rubbish about absolutely any subject that you might care to choose.

Cars? - just the tip of the iceberg! - the culinary arts, politics, philosophy, economics, the evolution of life, the fate of the Universe - you ask him and he can do it.

Soon we are told, there is to be published a little Red Book of the great man`s thoughts - a volume whose contents in terms of its sagacity and vision will no doubt excel the previous efforts of a well known Chinese person [now deceased], in the quest to expand the realm of human consciousness.

Of course he looks impressive , and sounds impressive - but only because he is rather large and talks loudly.`

Not all of us on this side of `the pond` like, or for that matter believe what `Mr C` says - if i`d listened to him then I would never have bought a Z06

As for the rest of it - well, give us a break guys! - even Ben Franklin`s father was English, born in Ecton, Northants

Websters Dictionary

Jeremy Clarkson = Pompus arz

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Default Yes but..

We dont go around pretending our opinions are facts.

I thought the review went a little overboard with the whole "gasoline vs Z06" crap. How STUPID is that!

The 0-XXX in 5th gear was cool, but it makes more sense in 4th.

I was surprised he had anything to say about the NAV - but maybe except for a few, they're all marginal in terms of effectiveness at best.

Ideally they would have said something about the engine at least!

Hmm wow wish you guys could see this hot blonde sitting next to me
Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I enjoy Clarkson immensely. He is very entertaining, and I enjoy all of his stuff, whether I agree or not.

Although I think the car is a very comfortable and wonderful daily-driver, certain types of road surfaces (concrete in particular) make an awful loud howling noise, at least on GYs. Since asphalt is more common in my part of the world, it's a non-issue.

I can see why he would have drawn that conclusion if he only experienced it on a certain type of road surface.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

All I can say is the guy knows his cars, he has more experance in real exotic cars than I could ever hope to have.

As far as his america bashing, I guess Im not that sesitive. To me its just like when the viper guys start flaming about one thing or another, it just dosent matter. I love my Z06 and all the attention it gets just means that its a bench mark in the industry.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:49 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jfreez
All I can say is the guy knows his cars, he has more experance in real exotic cars than I could ever hope to have.

As far as his america bashing, I guess Im not that sesitive. To me its just like when the viper guys start flaming about one thing or another, it just dosent matter. I love my Z06 and all the attention it gets just means that its a bench mark in the industry.
Spoken like a true Democrat...........
Old 08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
JonnyC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted in an other topic, that the program is more pro-British.

The Z06 is a fine Corvette and the people know that
Old 08-27-2007, 01:39 PM
ZO6guy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgussin1
he is a better reviewer than ANY car reviewer in the US, period. He tells you how it is, sometimes you agree, sometimes you don't. After all he is sharing HIS opinion.
His opinion doesn't even count! You could see right through it! From the beginning of that video he stated he hates this country and everything about it! If that is not setting the tone than what is?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
I enjoy Clarkson immensely. He is very entertaining, and I enjoy all of his stuff, whether I agree or not.

Although I think the car is a very comfortable and wonderful daily-driver, certain types of road surfaces (concrete in particular) make an awful loud howling noise, at least on GYs. Since asphalt is more common in my part of the world, it's a non-issue.

I can see why he would have drawn that conclusion if he only experienced it on a certain type of road surface.
The howling noise on certain pavements is common with many cars.

I would agree that Clarkson thinks he is a comedian.. but he should concentrate himself on his strengths.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, nothing wrong with the review.

The Z is NOT designed as an everyday country club, cafe cruiser; Chev. has TWO other models for this.

He says the Z is likely an equal to the Ferrari 599 on the track at 1/3 of the price. How can you complain about this? Doesn't GM say the Z is for the "extreme performance enthusiast"? Lexus guys and gals should not buy this car.

Tire noise is bad. Same with tunnel heat. I added substantial heat and sound insulation to mine (I also have headers which ramps noise up considerably).

Interior is average -. Again, this is a performance car. Add some leather and carbon Fiber bits if you like.

Some of his other cracks on the USA are also true. Of course there is also a lot of good he overlooks. The brits, in addition to needing dental in a very serious way, also have a weight problem, just not as widespread as the US.

I believe Clarkson is the guy who took the Bugatti to 252 mph, so he does know what he is talking about.

TopGear or someone also did another review at some Euro Track which was quite favorable.

So, really not a bad review.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

The guy is a giant tool. If I bought him for what he's worth and sold him for what he thinks he's worth, I could bail out Ford and give it to GM.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
SAN_man
Drifting

So, most of you would rather watch Motorweek drive the Z06 around country roads at 35mph?

The Z06 is badass (I want one badly), but it's not a perfect car. Clarkson is just telling it like it is, and it's funny to see you all get your panties in a bunch because of it.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SAN_man

The Z06 is badass (I want one badly), but it's not a perfect car.

no car is perfect..

That being said, my Z06 is by far the best, most exciting and fun cars that I have ever owned.. 40 years worth..

When I just think about driving it.. I smile and feel like a young kid...

I have not experienced anything like it with the exception of sex.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
0A.Young
Former Vendor

I guess this makes him the Micheal Moore of the Brits, makes something up in his head and then tries to pass it off as fact without really caring if it is right or wrong. He just wants to make a statement and see how far people will believe what he says.

Any of you Z06 guys convinced yet?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

Default Seems much ado about nothing

Really, guys, why does this bother some of you so much? His statements are so over the top about America, etc., you know it's just a way to get big reactions.

He's got a few valid points strewn about in his little diatribe, and a lot of opinions that most people would find wacked out. But who cares?

British humor can be hard to grasp.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
But who cares?

British humor can be hard to grasp.
It is not humor... He thinks he is a comedian.. unfortunately he believes it... he was doing the same nonsense last year...

Get notified of new replies

To What Jeremy Clarkson thinks of America and the Z06

Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
car95
Intermediate

There's a lot of sensitive people round here!

Clarkson is entertainment. He makes more money by being controversial, which means even when he likes something he throws in some sideways comments. Anyone can choose to be offended/upset/ignore him/whatever, it doesn't matter. Overall, he liked the car (this clip is really quite old). You should see it when he really slates a car. And believe me when I say there are some people that really hate him for his anti-green, anti-PC comments. He is a champion for those of us who love cars and driving.

He does like to goad people, and that includes the entire USofA. 'Cos he gets a reaction, right? But it's only TV.

The anti-British comments on this thread are pretty un-necessary.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

You want to know why Jeremy Clarkson is a *****?

Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHno2pka2eY&eurl=

If you don't want to watch, I'll tell you what it is. It's Jeremy Clarkson beating up a Ford GTX1 around Willow Springs, waxing lyrical about how great it is, etc, etc. And there's all kinds of cool shots of him drifting around corners and what not.

The truth? It's a guy in a curly wig. I bull**** you not. Let me say that again, a guy in a curly wig. Isn't that like the automotive journalism equivalent of the cream and the clear? I was told this by several people that were there.

Clarkson couldn't lick the sweat off Tiff Needel's ***** as a driver, so the only way he gets attention is by being a *****...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Mr. Lau
Pro

Originally Posted by The DBK
You want to know why Jeremy Clarkson is a *****?

Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHno2pka2eY&eurl=

If you don't want to watch, I'll tell you what it is. It's Jeremy Clarkson beating up a Ford GTX1 around Willow Springs, waxing lyrical about how great it is, etc, etc. And there's all kinds of cool shots of him drifting around corners and what not.

The truth? It's a guy in a curly wig. I bull**** you not. Let me say that again, a guy in a curly wig. Isn't that like the automotive journalism equivalent of the cream and the clear? I was told this by several people that were there.

Clarkson couldn't lick the sweat off Tiff Needel's ***** as a driver, so the only way he gets attention is by being a *****...
You are correct, but he doesn't deny it. It's because he usually does the talking and a dirver hired by him drives the car for action shots. He's done it before. He did it with the Veyron numerous times. Hes admitted to it. Don't be such an ***.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What Jeremy Clarkson thinks of America and the Z06