Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZR1/SS/BD frame-steel or aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ZR1/SS/BD frame-steel or aluminum?

Just now reading a question of how to fix a bent Z06 frame. The concensus so far was that these don't fix very well. I've also read of difficulty of attaching roll bars and other hardware due to the frame being aluminum and difficult to weld. It's my understanding that the Z06 frame , being made of aluminum, has a wall thickness a big greater than the steel of the base car. Not wishing to hijack the thread about repair of a bent Z06 frame I've started this conversation about speculation regarding the ZR1 frame.

Will it be steel or aluminum? The aluminum Z06 frame has the primary purpose of reducing weight to offset the increased weight of the LS7. Is the aluminum superior to steel for some other reason(s) or is it , in fact, inferior to steel in all respects except weight?

So with a presumed hp of 650 in the supervette will they use steel or aluminum? My bet is that they will use steel due to higher strength. What do you think? Also, open for discussion would be guesses/educated or not regarding other differences the ZR1 may have with the Z06 and base car. It will be really interesting to finally learn what's in the new beast.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends........if their goal is to go lighter than the Z, then they will use aluminum for the frame.....
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I was just assuming aluminum, as that was the frame for the highest performing car they had which is the Z. If they go back to steel for the new one, it would seem like it kind of puts the ZO6 as as oddity leaving people wondering why they went with the aluminum frame in the first place. I would say they will use it.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Will it be steel or aluminum? The aluminum Z06 frame has the primary purpose of reducing weight to offset the increased weight of the LS7. Is the aluminum superior to steel for some other reason(s) or is it , in fact, inferior to steel in all respects except weight?
I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from, but the LS7 isn't any heavier than any of the other aluminum SBCs. In fact, if anything, it's a hair lighter due to the use of Ti. The primary reason for using Al for the Z06's frame was to lighten the car up as much as possible. Period. Yes, there were heavier parts installed on the car: brakes, larger wheels and tires, etc. But the LS7 has nothing to do with any additional mass.

So with a presumed hp of 650 in the supervette will they use steel or aluminum? My bet is that they will use steel due to higher strength.
Who says that Al is weaker than steel? The Al frame on the Z06 is every bit as strong as the steel frame on the base cars. What it isn't is malleable. Once Al bends, it then becomes weaker and difficult to bend back into shape without compromising its structural rigidity.

The frame for the SS will almost certainly be Al, with the goal to reduce mass as much as possible. I'd take that one to the bank.

jas
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 PM
LPFSTheFett
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be the same as the Z06. GM could care less how hard it is to put a roll cage in the car.

Also with the goal of going lighter then the Z06, it would be nearly impossible to accomplish this by adding a heaver frame along with (I'd assume) even heavier breaks and the addition of a supercharger.

There should be an option to select steel frame and just eat the extra weight. I'd get it!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
32valves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LPFSTheFett
even heavier breaks
I think the brakes will MUCH lighter........probably 30-40lbs lighter I would say.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1/SS/BD frame-steel or aluminum?

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1/SS/BD frame-steel or aluminum?