Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Streetlegal 300 MPH Z06 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Good luck on the 255mph run ....I'm confident you'll hit that # for sure.

Your car is amazing and LPE and your car are one of the few that is leading the way for us Z06 owners that are intrested in serious performance upgrade for our cars.

Just curious on the 226mph run what was the MPH and time at the 1/4 mile. I thoughly understand if you don't want to disclose that info but I'm dying to know being that I want to TT my Z06 and I like hearing from someone that reallly has one instead of speculating times...and opinions on forums.

Hey you can have a car like Norm's too! Just call LPE. Expect not to have your car for months and months to do all the R and D. Listen to everything they tell you to do and spend and make sure you don't get a shakey hand when your writing the check.

In fairness, I don't think Norm (or Lingenfelter) will just come out and tell all his/their secrets after all this time, effort, money, and patience to do a build like this.

Its this that makes projects truely special.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
IMSA finale of Nov 30th 1975. I am on the banking at Daytona about 185mph, and looking down the back straight at a small white dot in my rear view mirror. A few seconds later as I drift up on the north banking, there is a blast of sound and a blast of air as John Greenwood passes between me and the wall at two hundred fifty two (252) miles per hour
Correct! I never said I was the fastest! My wife has a picture of me at about 200 MPH going into turn three at Daytona on the roof. Everything is going by very fast in the photo. One thing you can see very clear is the Goodyear name on the tires. Why? Because I had my foot on the brakes! It did not help. Lucky for me the car started to take the turn and turned enough to go all the way through turn three breaking into pieces. I was so sore it took about 20 minutes to get out of bed the next morning. I bumped a guy named Marvin Panch. He came out all right but my car turned (probably my inability to control it) and when the wind got under the 8" rear spoiler the fun began.

Tommy and you guys can have the 250+ MPH rides. I am now CHICKEN!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vindication
Hey you can have a car like Norm's too! Just call LPE. Expect not to have your car for months and months to do all the R and D. Listen to everything they tell you to do and spend and make sure you don't get a shakey hand when your writing the check.

In fairness, I don't think Norm (or Lingenfelter) will just come out and tell all his/their secrets after all this time, effort, money, and patience to do a build like this.

Its this that makes projects truely special.

Hey you can't blame a guy for trying

I totally understand, my son and I are doing a joint project with another brand car and a performance shop that will be somewhat of a shocker to that car brand community when it is announced later next spring.

I have talked to LPE a couple of times.

I have a deposit on the upcoming ZR-1... so I'll have to wait and see the specs on the car when is released and decide if I reallly want the car or if my dealer can even can get me one! I'll go from there...and if I keep my Z06 then it's off to LPE or Katech. A hard choice for sure.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 11-02-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Painrace
Correct! I never said I was the fastest! My wife has a picture of me at about 200 MPH going into turn three at Daytona on the roof. Everything is going by very fast in the photo. One thing you can see very clear is the Goodyear name on the tires. Why? Because I had my foot on the brakes! It did not help. Lucky for me the car started to take the turn and turned enough to go all the way through turn three breaking into pieces. I was so sore it took about 20 minutes to get out of bed the next morning. I bumped a guy named Marvin Panch. He came out all right but my car turned (probably my inability to control it) and when the wind got under the 8" rear spoiler the fun began.

Tommy and you guys can have the 250+ MPH rides. I am now CHICKEN!
Jim my friend, you have bigger bells than I will ever have. After I hit my 200+ run, my girlfriend looked at me and said "You are white as a ghost"... and I'm Mexican!

Add the friction roof element and... damn.

That reminds me... I gotta rent 'Stroker Ace' again.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe Tommy has been 200 MPH. How many others have? I was clocked at Daytona on the back going into turn three in 1990 in a Camaro at 228 MPH (Did not use the stupid bus stop). It not only takes a few good size ***** but you have to be a little nuts! You guys can have those 250+ MPH runs. Mine are not that big and with age they have srunk!
They should get bigger as you get older. The older you get the less you have to lose
Old 11-02-2007, 04:13 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TTC5Z
Listen ... during tuning they hit 1518 HP and 1400 lbs TQ @ 28 lbs boost on smaller turbos than the car currently runs.

So do your calculations ... an tell us what it would take to hit 300 with the Z's aeros ?

I say with over 1500 power ... the Z has a fair chance to set sail to the liftoff mark.

Dragcars/funnycars hit 330 or so in 1/4 with 2000 plus power.
Do some homework.

Funny cars have 2000 plus horsepower???????????? Try again. They had 2,000 HP thirty years ago. Try 7 - 9,000 horsepower on nitro. Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_Car (among others). Also, the Z's aero package was designed to work at the limits of the car in stock or near stock condition. The aero package for 300 mph would have to be very different to prevent something spectacular from happening. Look at the C6R for clues. 300 miles per hour is dead serious territory, and shouldn't be tried at home.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:53 PM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by catbert
Do some homework.

Funny cars have 2000 plus horsepower???????????? Try again. They had 2,000 HP thirty years ago. Try 7 - 9,000 horsepower on nitro. Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_Car (among others). Also, the Z's aero package was designed to work at the limits of the car in stock or near stock condition. The aero package for 300 mph would have to be very different to prevent something spectacular from happening. Look at the C6R for clues. 300 miles per hour is dead serious territory, and shouldn't be tried at home.
You wouldn't need the same amount of horsepower though. A dragster has to do it in a 1/4 mile so it needs a lot. Trying to do it in a Vette though???? Scary if not impossible. I wonder what the gearing and tire math work out to be to hit 300MPH at 7200 RPM....It would probably prove to be a dog on the street because of gears....in this fantasy world of course.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You would have to reset your watch every time you got out of the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Z07
Advanced

Originally Posted by catbert
No way! If I wasn't so lazy, I'd try to figure out how many horses it would take the Z06 to hit 300. Sufice it to say, more than you can stuff into it. Nice thought but...
It takes 500bhp to make 200mph. So 500*(1.5)^3 = 1687.5bhp

F = 0.5*Cd*air density*A*v^2

P = Fv = 0.5*Cd*air density*A*v^3

Increase v by 1.5 times (200 to 300), increase P by 1.5^3.

It's been done anyway:

1939 Mercedes-Benz T-80 Weltrekordwagen: The T-80 was an attempt at breaking speed records and demonstrate German engineering supremacy. Officially backed by the **** regime, the car was never tested because of the outbreak of World War II in September of that same year. It was originally planned that the car would be driven on the straight Autobahn near Dessau in 1940 at projected speeds of 600 km/h (373 mph). To obtain such speeds, the T-80 utilized the largest Daimler-Benz aircraft engine in existence, the DB-603: a mammoth 44,522cc V12 that produced 3,000-horsepower. Ferdinand Porsche designed the T-80. It was sheer luck that the car survived World War II.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frenchican
Jim my friend, you have bigger bells than I will ever have. After I hit my 200+ run, my girlfriend looked at me and said "You are white as a ghost"... and I'm Mexican!

Add the friction roof element and... damn.

That reminds me... I gotta rent 'Stroker Ace' again.
I don't give a damn what you are, my friend, you are my friend. I remember being a driving instructor at Mid America Raceway in Wentzville, MO. Before a guys first mock race the guy's girl friend asked me if I ate a lot before a race. I told her no because if you were injured it was a lot worse if they put you to sleep on a full stomach (guess how I know?). Then I asked why? She said because she had fixed five sandwiches for her and her boy friend and he had eaten all of them before 11:00 AM. I just laughed. It effects us all different ways. Driving at speed is a learned skill. The more you do it the eaiser it is. Finally everything seems to be in slow motion and it becomes easier. I don't know why. Conclusion, keep doing it and it becomes easier. And, Tommy, you are no ghost.

Keep hammering that Katech animal. The more you do the more you will like it and the better you will get.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
They should get bigger as you get older. The older you get the less you have to lose
John, some how mine have shrunk! I have more to lose now than ever but prostate cancer slowed me down about eight years ago. I still fight it and it will get me some day. When I retired in 1994 I told my wife I would not race competitively again. I had received a shoulder injury in 1993 at MIS and I have it today. My wife told me it was God's way of telling me to quit so I did. Having said that, I have had mine up to a little over 200 MPH according to the heads up display and I must say it was fun and the car handled well. I don't plan it again any time soon.

Just call me "little ones!"
Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default possible

Callaways Sledgehammer car did 254 with 'only' 850hp almost 15 years ago. So nearly double the power in a slipperyer car to get 46 more mph. Sounds possible although I know the resistance increases by squares or however you say it.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM
ayousef
Drifting

Originally Posted by Katech
A Nissan Altima does not have the drag coefficient that a Bugatti Veyron does. I believe it. The Bugatti is much more slippery. It even has a gauge on the back that tells you how much horsepower you're making...however accurate that may be.
with 250 HP you could "cruise" at 150mph in a veyron, thats what the gauge would show, but reaching that speed would be a battle itself in that heavyass bug given the power was limited to 250 HP, I think this is what they really meant. I know the Veyron is more slippery, but don't forget how huge that thing really is, infact if you read a little more about what Bugatti had to say about its design, they said that they designed the car FIRST, then tried to work the aerodynamics around the car's basic design and not the otherway around.

if that concept is true, then the Z06 can cruise at topspeed ~ 205 MPH in 6th gear and only needs 350 RWHP to do so.

how? 6th gear, 205MPH = 4350 RPMs ( a Z06 generates 350 rwhp at that rpm) I know of people who tried full throttle cruising at 200MPH in 6th, no drop in speed yet no gain (obviously).
Old 11-02-2007, 11:32 PM
nthfinity
Advanced

I've personally seen this car do amazing things. The launch isn't particularly impressive, but the 70-200 mph dance is a sight to behold... covering so much distance, running through the gears faster and faster :-D

Last edited by nthfinity; 11-02-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
300 mph?

Oh and at 160 mph, a 747 has . . .

This is what would happen . . .
that's crazy...how much do those car's weigh?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:14 AM
linutux
Pro

I have had mine up to a little over 200 MPH according to the heads up display and I must say it was fun and the car handled well. I don't plan it again any time soon.

Just call me "little ones!"
Nobody that's gone 200+ mph in a car has "little ones"!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by linutux
Nobody that's gone 200+ mph in a car has "little ones"!
150-160 is the best these bells have had to toll.....

Get notified of new replies

To Streetlegal 300 MPH Z06 ?

Old 11-03-2007, 04:04 PM
fstyloz
Racer

Originally Posted by TTC5Z

Dragcars/funnycars hit 330 or so in 1/4 with 2000 plus power.
Yeah 2000 plus another 4000 hp.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:55 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the first stock-bodied production car over 300 mph was in 1999. It's a 368 ci. in. Pontiac.

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/bonne...onneville.html
Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 AM
thee Dragon
Instructor

Originally Posted by RED99
the first stock-bodied production car over 300 mph was in 1999. It's a 368 ci. in. Pontiac.

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/bonne...onneville.html
"If you’re going to go 300 mph in a stock-bodied production car at Bonneville, the car of choice is a Pontiac Firebird," said Joe Kugel. "Out of all the production cars, it probably has the lowest drag as far as aerodynamics are concerned, and at 300 mph, this Firebird has to be the most stable vehicle that’s ever been built."

I found this to be a rather interesting quote from the linked article.

I've personally been above +190 mph more than a dozen times in my Firehawk and the one thing I was most impressed with was the stability at those velocities; even around sharp banks (relative to those velocities).

I fervently agree that weight is gravely important: my car weighs somewhere in the upper neighborhood of ~35xx lb. After all, downforce from aerodynamics is just trying to fabricate weight at extreme velocities in order to increase stability at said velocities. There is no better "downforce" than what came with the car stock; curb weight

Quick Reply: [Z06] Streetlegal 300 MPH Z06 ?