Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z06 Lift Points Question - Mohawk HR-6

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Paul330
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z06 Lift Points Question - Mohawk HR-6

I am planning on purchasing a C6 Z06. I have a Mohawk HR-6 midrise scissor lift in my garage. The HR-6 lift has rectangular rubber lift pads. I'm wondering if the HR-6 can accommodate the Z06, or if I'll need to fabricate some special lift pads for use with the Z06. What do the lift pads look like that Chevy dealers use to lift the car with? Any info would be appreciated. Thx.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/library/manuals/hr6.pdf
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Paul330
I am planning on purchasing a C6 Z06. I have a Mohawk HR-6 midrise scissor lift in my garage. The HR-6 lift has rectangular rubber lift pads. I'm wondering if the HR-6 can accommodate the Z06, or if I'll need to fabricate some special lift pads for use with the Z06. What do the lift pads look like that Chevy dealers use to lift the car with? Any info would be appreciated. Thx.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/library/manuals/hr6.pdf
The Corvette should be lifted with a jacking puck like this

Dealers should be using them, but unfortunately most probably don't.

I'll take this opportunity to give a sneak peek at something I am working on right now. Lifting many Corvettes every day, we found that we were wearing through the rubberized jacking pucks very quickly. We identified this, and in true Katech fashon, designed the ultimate jacking puck. I'm happy to say that we are now manufacturing this extremely high quality and durable jacking puck for retail sale. The best part; the price should come in the same as rubberized jacking pucks. Stay tuned for the press release on the new product.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're into homemade stuff, ice hockey pucks with eye hooks screwed into one end to hook into the jackpoint holes, work very well. The pucks are made of very tough rubber and are only 99 cents each.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
The Corvette should be lifted with a jacking puck like this

I'll take this opportunity to give a sneak peek at something I am working on right now. Lifting many Corvettes every day, we found that we were wearing through the rubberized jacking pucks very quickly. We identified this, and in true Katech fashon, designed the ultimate jacking puck. I'm happy to say that we are now manufacturing this extremely high quality and durable jacking puck for retail sale. The best part; the price should come in the same as rubberized jacking pucks. Stay tuned for the press release on the new product.
Do they have to be rubber? I bought a set of the aluminum ones and am now wondering if that is going to cause some damage.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 PM
jerrybooher
Advanced

Originally Posted by Katech
My one experience with a very large dealership may illustrate why they do not use the pucks. When I expressed concern about jacking my new Z06 for an oil change, the service writer said I could watch one time. The supervisor personally adjusted the lift arms under my car. They would not clear so he lifted the front end above the tire to uncompress the shock and then slid the bare arm under. Raised it an inch, looked, lowered, and readjusted before going up.

When I asked if they had ever scratched or crushed one, he said yes, but it did not do much damage.

Frightening experience.

I am doing the next oil change in MY garage with pucks.

Jerry
Old 12-29-2007, 03:51 PM
VRZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by jerrybooher
My one experience with a very large dealership may illustrate why they do not use the pucks. When I expressed concern about jacking my new Z06 for an oil change, the service writer said I could watch one time. The supervisor personally adjusted the lift arms under my car. They would not clear so he lifted the front end above the tire to uncompress the shock and then slid the bare arm under. Raised it an inch, looked, lowered, and readjusted before going up.

When I asked if they had ever scratched or crushed one, he said yes, but it did not do much damage.

Frightening experience.

I am doing the next oil change in MY garage with pucks.

Jerry
Great story, I would do the same by the way
Old 12-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Paul330
Instructor

Thanks. Is the metal part there so that the puck can be attached to the car before the lift engages the car? The shape of the metal part makes it look like you insert it and twist it 90 degrees to attach it. When will you have these on the market, and what's the cost? Thx. -Paul
Old 12-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Do they have to be rubber? I bought a set of the aluminum ones and am now wondering if that is going to cause some damage.
They can be metal. Bare metal can scratch the frame though in a minor way. We have a solution for that.

Thanks. Is the metal part there so that the puck can be attached to the car before the lift engages the car? The shape of the metal part makes it look like you insert it and twist it 90 degrees to attach it. When will you have these on the market, and what's the cost? Thx. -Paul
Yes. The puck is inserted into the frame and twisted 90 degrees, then the hoist arms are positioned.

They should be ready near the end of January. Price will be competitive with other jacking pucks.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Elite Engineering makes an awesome aluminum puck at a good price. Be sure to get the ones to fit the Z06. The frame is thicker.http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C...king-pads.html
Old 12-30-2007, 04:10 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

You may not need to use jacking pucks with a Mohawk Scissor lift.

If the rubber lift pads are the same size as they are on my Bend-Pak MD-6XP scissor lift, the pads may clear the cutouts in the fiberglass rockers and could save you from likely using the (as Jason mentioned) metal jacking pucks which may or may not play nice with the painted frame material.

I bought Elite pucks, but after learning that the rubber pads cleared, I've used the no-puck method.. I like the idea of having a rubber-to-metal contact.

In any event, if you go the puck route and/or buy them for the dealer to use, make sure you're buying pucks that are made specifically for the Z - the ones that fit std. C6's and C5's will not fit.

FWIW - I have an 07' Z - If you're buying an 08', YMMV.

It looks like the Mohawk lift uses the same pads.

Mohawk:

Bend-Pak:

With Elite's pucks to try them out:

Edit - be aware that the lift arms on the Mohawk reach to a max of 59.6" wide. The Z lifting points may be getting near the max width of those arms. Measure twice, buy once

Mohawk Dimensions: http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/specs/hr6specs.php

Bend-Pak:

Last edited by HIRISC; 12-30-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Paul330
Instructor

Edit - be aware that the lift arms on the Mohawk reach to a max of 59.6" wide. The Z lifting points may be getting near the max width of those arms. Measure twice, buy once

Thanks for the info. How far left/right does the lift have to be able to span in order to reach the pucks? i.e. With the pucks installed, how many inches is it from the outside edge of the left-side pucks to the outside edge of right-side pucks? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:33 AM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for the info. How far left/right does the lift have to be able to span in order to reach the pucks? i.e. With the pucks installed, how many inches is it from the outside edge of the left-side pucks to the outside edge of right-side pucks? Thanks.
It's a good question, but I can't answer it for you since my Z is sleeping for the winter.

I can tell you that from what I remember, the Bend-Pak has about 1-1.5" of extra 'arm' length on each side to reach the lifting points on my 07' Z.

Someone else - who doesn't have snow on the ground - might be able to measure the puck to puck width.

Sorry I can't help further.

Chris
Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Paul330
Instructor

I went and measured the 59.6" dimension on my HR-6, and it's actually 65", so I should be ok. Not sure why the Mohawk website apparently has the wrong number listed. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

I went and measured the 59.6" dimension on my HR-6, and it's actually 65", so I should be ok. Not sure why the Mohawk website apparently has the wrong number listed. Thanks.
That's interesting. With 65", you'll have no trouble lifting your Z.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Lift Points Question - Mohawk HR-6

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z06 Lift Points Question - Mohawk HR-6