Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Do You Secure The Car to A Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume the shipping slots are the same as the slots for the lift pucks? The fact that the t-hooks are steel and the frame is aluminum, is there any chance of deforming the slots?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
I realize that...but have you actually loaded your car on it yet???....Hope youre not in for a surprise.......
Dan Samento
Canon City, Co
www.dansamento.com
Well, I had no problem loading my S2000 onto a U-Haul trailer, and that car is lowered to to the same height as my Z. I just used some 2X8 boards to get a better angle. And since I have Pfadt coilovers I can always raise the front suspension to clear, although I would prefer not to go that route. .
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra
It's a hydraulic tilt trailer.
Do you know what the trailer itself weighs? I'd like to get a trailer for the Z but the only tow vehicle I have is the FJ and it's only rated at 5000 lbs.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Tyler_Z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Do you know what the trailer itself weighs? I'd like to get a trailer for the Z but the only tow vehicle I have is the FJ and it's only rated at 5000 lbs.
My Sloan aluminum quik-load is around 1750 pounds. I'm not sure how much the steel ones weigh but it's more. I'm assuming a hydraulic tilt trailer is more than a quickload steel too.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

My 16' steel trailer says it is 1650 on the title. My Cherokee is only rated to 5000lbs as well and I have no problem towing the Z.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM
fperra
Safety Car

The one I bought weighs 2420 lb. Towing with a Nissan Titan 4X4 rated for 9000 lb.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

great review thread. esp since I'm looking for an Alum trailer w/ winch!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
fperra
Safety Car

With those steel T-hooks grabbing the aluminum frame, could that cause any problems?
So does anyone have an answer to this?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
mrwrenchphd
Racer

You'll be fine.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Yes, I have an answer for you. The slots in the frame were designed by GM SPECIFICALLY to hold the car down while being trailered. That is how they are secured in the transporters that bring them to your dealer from BG.

Now, do you think they designed them right? Considered all the possible problems? Tested them throughly?

Your call.

Frank Gonzalez

Last edited by gonzalezfj; 04-17-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Yes, I have an answer for you:

The slots in the frame were designed by GM SPECIFICALLY to hold the car down while its is being transported. In fact, that is how they are tied down in the transporter that brings the car to your dealer from BG.

Now, do you think GM designed them right? Did they consider all possible problems? Did they test them thoroughly?

Your call.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a close look at those slots -- you will need to have the car on a drive-on ramp rack to do that -- the slots are in STEEL that is riveted (with some very special rivets) to the aluminum frame.

They were designed and tested as tie-down attachment points -- can you over-do tightening the straps? Yes you can. Will there be damage if you have an incident while trailering? Sure could happen. All of life's decisions involve some chance of failure. That IS what life is about.

Not to pick on Frank, but go take a look at how the new cars are tied down on the transporters. I am told they are using tire nets now, but I have not been in a position to verify this myself.

I have, and will continue, to use those slots to tie-down my Corvettes (both of them) when trailering them. Y'all may do what you believe is best.

Last edited by 9C1; 05-03-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
fperra
Safety Car

You convinced me. I just ordeed 4 VULCAN ProSeries™ H.D. Universal Auto Tie-Downs.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
LPFSTheFett
Pro

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
I realize that...but have you actually loaded your car on it yet???....Hope youre not in for a surprise.......
Dan Samento
Canon City, Co
www.dansamento.com
I'd have to agree, I think your going to have a lot of issues loading your Z06 onto that trailer without the addition of ramps.

Then you have to worry if your door is going to clear the wheel covers on the trailer. You don't have much room, I think our doors only sit 7" off the ground?

I trailer my Z06 nearly weekly during the summer and use T hooks and my slots are in perfect shape, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LPFSTheFett
I'd have to agree, I think your going to have a lot of issues loading your Z06 onto that trailer without the addition of ramps.

Then you have to worry if your door is going to clear the wheel covers on the trailer. You don't have much room, I think our doors only sit 7" off the ground?

I trailer my Z06 nearly weekly during the summer and use T hooks and my slots are in perfect shape, so I wouldn't worry about it.
The driver side fender has been modified to flip down, so that won't be a problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LPFSTheFett

I have to thank you and NNIAL8R for making me take a second look at this. I took a road trip today down to Oregon to check out the trailer I put a deposit on. Sure enought, both of you were right; it would have been a bitch to get the car on that trailer. So the dealer and I came up with a different plan: a 16' trailer with a 4' beaver tail and a 4" dropped axle. Also a flip down left fender and a spare tire for $1000 less than my original plan. Custom made for me and I pick it up May 5th. So, once again, thanks for the good advice.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Well, the latest in the trailer saga. Dealer called the other day and said the trailer was ready. But there turned out to be two problems. First, I would need to use 2X8 boards to get the car onto the ramps. I was not happy about that, but it was not a deal breaker. But the second problem was. With the car loaded, the wheels were too high to open the door. I sure wasn't going to climb out the window. Fortunately the dealer was a class act and agreed to refund my money. So my next choice is a Texas Roalback or a Sloan Quick Load. I doubt I'll be able to find one in time for the trip I was planning, but I'll be driving to Dallas late this Summer (in my Nissan Titan) and I'll pick up one then.

Get notified of new replies

To How Do You Secure The Car to A Trailer

Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Well, the latest in the trailer saga. Dealer called the other day and said the trailer was ready. But there turned out to be two problems. First, I would need to use 2X8 boards to get the car onto the ramps. I was not happy about that, but it was not a deal breaker. But the second problem was. With the car loaded, the wheels were too high to open the door. I sure wasn't going to climb out the window. Fortunately the dealer was a class act and agreed to refund my money. So my next choice is a Texas Roalback or a Sloan Quick Load. I doubt I'll be able to find one in time for the trip I was planning, but I'll be driving to Dallas late this Summer (in my Nissan Titan) and I'll pick up one then.

using 2x8's isn't a big deal....I use them to load my car....not being able to open the door....that is a big deal....I'm sure you'll find something local to fit your needs though....good luck....
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Does ANYONE have a pic of their C6 Z-06 on a trailer???....Id really like to see one......and what it took to get it there!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Those of you who own the Sloan Quick Load, did you get an 18' or 20 ' model?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Do You Secure The Car to A Trailer