Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who can do this 'coast down' time test for me? (for use in a z06 computer simulation)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
niels007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can do this 'coast down' time test for me? (for use in a z06 computer simulation)

Hi folks,

Still working on the Z06 and C51, available for free download if you own a copy of rFactor the racing simulation for pc. In an attempt to get figures as accurate as possible, the effect of engine braking is yet a bit vague. I have accurate drag, believable rolling resistance and some driveline frictions modelled. Acceleration and top speed is very close to the real figures, but what happens when you let go of the gas pedal?

One way to model the engine braking torque (much like a torque curve but negative) is to have someone with a real z06 go to a safe very flat road (ideally with not much wind), get to high rpm such as 6500 and then suddenly release the gas fully, and let it coast down to idle revs. Ideally in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, though by that time you're doing well over 100mph so that road better be very safe indeed!

I guess the easiest way is to take a digital camera and shoot a video of the HUD, with which I can easily measure the time it takes to go from 6500rpm to idle rpm in a few gears, based on which I can model the simulation's engine braking quite accuratly.

Is anyone up for this? Would be amazing if we got this data! Anyone live near an abandoned airfield?

Thanks!
Niels

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who can do this 'coast down' time test for me? (for use in a z06 computer simulation)