Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:59 AM
LT2UnderGlass
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a "notchy" feeling in my 09 when cold...but once it warms up...fine....warm up takes about 5 minutes or so. I can live with that But my real question here is why the severe concern in this thread. Could something go REALLY wrong with the transmission over time? If it's just a simple..."let it warm up issue"...I can live with that. But should I be worried about something more severe?

Cheers Gentlemen.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
C6nexttime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Interesting... same gearbox is used in the GT500 poopstang and the Gen IV Vipers. If it's an issue in the Cheby it should show up in the stang/viper crowd too.

The gt500 guys have had the same problem with it. Go on to svtperformance.com and search gt500 tsb. So it sounds like I need to get a 06-07 when the time comes.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by 09 Cyber Grey Z
I have a "notchy" feeling in my 09 when cold...but once it warms up...fine....warm up takes about 5 minutes or so. I can live with that But my real question here is why the severe concern in this thread. Could something go REALLY wrong with the transmission over time? If it's just a simple..."let it warm up issue"...I can live with that. But should I be worried about something more severe?

Cheers Gentlemen.
There have been a few problems with the transmission eating 2nd and 5th gears. There is a thread on someone having the problem from the day they took delivery and finally at 4,000 miles the trans ate itself. A few more on buybacks and such.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BenThere
Thanks for the update. Exactly the same reaction and information from my dealer. I'm sure they also reminded you that you have a good warranty and if really serious problems problems develop they will fix it. Not the least bit surprising this is the reaction from GM.

This kind of behavior from GM is not unusual. They're going to stonewall this for a while and hope that the transmissions hold up without longer term down-side issues. In the present economic climate, this is the business decision they have made: cost vs. risk.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are having trouble from their transmission supplier as well and/or the supplier's sub-suppliers. QA/QC issues in the manufacture of components that probably require tighter tolerance control combined with no confidence that they can get repair or replacement parts that will fix the problem the first time in the customer's car. Who knows what the contract is between GM and Tremec - they could be going back and forth on who owns the issue behind conference room doors as well.

Bottom line, unless this problem becomes more severe and/or customer complaints become a lot more animated, we won't see much more from GM for a while; they've got much bigger problems to sweat for the next several quarters.

With that said, I am not letting this particular issue detract from enjoying the car (I'm not accepting the GM response either). The problem goes away after 10 - 15 minutes of careful shifting, which is a normal warm-up period anyway. I've got the warranty and the paper trail with the dealer. I will try some different transmission oils and watch the forum and stay in touch with the dealer on TSBs. I still love the car and every day I drive it I just want to drive it more!
I hope to hear some more next week from the BBB when the arbitration is set up. I've got a few more documents to show and might have an oil sample of the trans fluid back in time for the arb hearing. It would put egg in their faces showing metal in the oil and be able to identify which metal piece it came from.
My trans takes about 20 minutes to calm down but it is still notchy and grinds some unless the outside temp is well into the 70's near 80. Long term does not look healthy for the trans.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 AM
evo8 MR
Racer

You guys are very lucky. I took my car for the forth time to the dealer to complain about my thrid gear grinding and I never had a chance to even get my shyncros replaced.
I had to pay on my own the last transmission fluid change with red line MTL to see if that could aliviate the problem but no luck.

The dealer keeps telling me that first of all I shouldn't be driving at high speeds in the first place. Secondly they insist that they put their driver in danger by trying to duplicate my second to third shift at nearly 100mph.
Last but not least they insist that there are no indications that my third gear is bad, no metal shavings on the transmission oil and off course that the driver couldn't duplicate the discrepancy.

I asked for the complete chain of command names from GM and I am planing on pursuing a solution possibly in court. If anyone want to join a complaint please PM me. I was going to contact my legal officce from the military which has the power to ban dealerships as they already had done with multiple business in the local area such Mitsubishi dealer, drivetime etc.

Back to the subject, my car developed a strong grinding noise from second to third that persisted. It appeared first at around 2000 miles and now at 8700 miles the problem is present all the time. My car is a 08 model, purchased in March.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 AM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

reporting back 2 1/2 months later and with 2,000 more miles on the clock....

NO ISSUES on my 08 regarding shifting/tranny/synchros/clutch...

I have had the car since brand new for about 5 1/2 months now and the car has 3,800 miles (not gentle miles either).

Now...if only that chemical smell would go away... (rant!).
Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 AM
QQB825
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Hi Gang...My 08 Z has 550 miles on it now...When shifting fron 1-2nd I can feel some notchy shifting, not alot very slight, but it's there...When the temps are at operating temp, it seems to be gone...
same here for the most part. my '08 Z was built in Nov of '07.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
BenThere
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 Cyber Grey Z

Cheers Gentlemen.
That's the burning question, and I suspect that GM is betting (hoping) that it won't get worse. We shouldn't roll over on this until we know for sure. As a minimum, make sure you take it into the dealer to have it checked and maintain the paper trail; and stay tuned ........

Good to see someone from Aurora. I was borned, bred, and growed up there......
Old 11-27-2008, 01:04 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BenThere
Which Amsoil did you use?
This is the one recommended by AMSOIL and the one I've been using in my 02 Z06 dedicated track car for years:
AMSOIL ATF

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Everyone should contact GM customer service and start a complaint file. Maybe if they get enough people complaining they will do something.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 04Z16
Everyone should contact GM customer service and start a complaint file. Maybe if they get enough people complaining they will do something.
Nah....the same problem with the chemical smell inside the cabin. Some people had it, some people didn't. All that was achieved was making GM more aware of the problem and GM issuing a bulletin saying "it was normal" hence releasing themselves from liability and releasing themselves from the "lemon law" as well.

Not EVERYONE has that problem....I feel for you guys that have the issue though and I hope it gets resolved. While there is strength in numbers, GM right now, is probably watching every penny.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Nah....the same problem with the chemical smell inside the cabin. Some people had it, some people didn't. All that was achieved was making GM more aware of the problem and GM issuing a bulletin saying "it was normal" hence releasing themselves from liability and releasing themselves from the "lemon law" as well.

Not EVERYONE has that problem....I feel for you guys that have the issue though and I hope it gets resolved. While there is strength in numbers, GM right now, is probably watching every penny.
But not everything has to have the lemon law, the BBB can help otherwise as well. During an arbitration they can have their own expert examine the vehicle to see if it is truly "Normal". Right now I'm so pissed at GM I know I will more than likely NEVER buy another GM product. If this is how they treat loyal customers and customers who buy a flagship car, then maybe I'll save some dough buying that import for one heck of a lot less.

If GM filed BK on Monday, I'd probably throw a Kegger on Tuesday. They have run a good company into the ground and all of them need to get the boot and start over.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 PM
redrocketship
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Subdriver
This is the one recommended by AMSOIL and the one I've been using in my 02 Z06 dedicated track car for years:
AMSOIL ATF
Thats what Im running in my 08 Z with no problems...
Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 PM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I have an 08' with 2,500 miles on the clock. I have yet to experience ANY tranny issues and she is driven hard. I do know however of 2 other 08' Z owners in the area that have 08's and ALL 3 of them have been in for some sort of synchro/clutch/tranny problem - all of them have 4,000 miles or less...yikes.
I'm one of those guys. Dealer fixed it after two trips to service.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 PM
loflyin08Z
Advanced

My 08 reacts exactly the same built 10/05/07, now at 6700 miles. Smooth as silk when warm.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:26 AM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 427silverhotrod
I'm one of those guys. Dealer fixed it after two trips to service.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey dude!!! Did you ever get your car back? Can't wait to see it with all the upgrades!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 AM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

I agree with you. I already told myself that this would be and IS the very last GM vehicle that I would own for that same very reason. While the dealer and the service I have received has been very good, the time when I needed GM the most they turned their back on me. I can forgive, but I won't forget. I also sold all my shares in their stock months ago...pffffff!

Originally Posted by 04Z16
But not everything has to have the lemon law, the BBB can help otherwise as well. During an arbitration they can have their own expert examine the vehicle to see if it is truly "Normal". Right now I'm so pissed at GM I know I will more than likely NEVER buy another GM product. If this is how they treat loyal customers and customers who buy a flagship car, then maybe I'll save some dough buying that import for one heck of a lot less.

If GM filed BK on Monday, I'd probably throw a Kegger on Tuesday. They have run a good company into the ground and all of them need to get the boot and start over.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 AM
DakotaVette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem with my 08. I noticed it more when the car was cold and it seemed to get better as it warmed up, but having to shift it like my grandmother would is a drag! I have about 6,000 miles on it and am just in the process of putting it away for the winter. I kind of shutter to think of the local garage taking it apart and then having it sit there for months over the winter. Last time I had a car sit there for over a few days, it came back all scratched up. I may wait for spring, but that could be a drag not to have the car when driving time comes!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 AM
DakotaVette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem with my 08. I noticed it more when the car was cold and it seemed to get better as it warmed up, but having to shift it like my grandmother would is a drag! I have about 6,000 miles on it and am just in the process of putting it away for the winter. I kind of shutter to think of the local garage taking it apart and then having it sit there for months over the winter. Last time I had a car sit there for over a few days, it came back all scratched up. I may wait for spring, but that could be a drag not to have the car when driving time comes!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Skimmed this thread and didn't see this, but if a dupe, I apologize.

Here is the text of a TSB concerning the issue for 08-09 Z06s...

"#PIP4357: Noise During The 1-2 Shift When Cold - keywords first grate grind second - (Feb 27, 2008)

Models: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V - Tremec Transmission RPO Code MG9

2008-2009 Chevrolet Corvette, Corvette Z06

Equipped With Tremec Manual Transmission RPO Code MM6, MZ6 or MH3

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment about a nibble or grate type noise that may also be described as a multiple bump feel during 1-2 upshift event while the transmission is cold.

Recommendation/Instructions:

A new transmission synchronizer design was released for the 2008 and 2009 models listed above. The new synchronizer will make a noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear in temperatures at or below 32 degrees F.

This noise/feel is a normal characteristic and will go away after the transmission warms up. Warm up should occur after approximately 15 miles of normal driving. This condition requires no repair by the dealer.

The service technician should test drive the vehicle to verify the concern. If the noise/feel goes away after the warm up no repair is necessary and the customer should be advised accordingly."

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's