Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mission: Extra power without warranty void

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM
timber wolf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mission: Extra power without warranty void

Hey guys,
Help me clarify. Will the following mods effect warranty, and can they work on a stock tune?

Intake:
Halltech MF103 - I know this works
Fast Intake manifold - Pretty sure this would work
Headers - Not sure
Throttle body - Not sure

I know these would yield way more with a tune, but that's not in the cards right now.
Has anyone run these 4 mods without tune, and what sort of gains can one expect?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

You can't do any of those mods without a tune. You maybe can get by with the intake but even then, the car is going to run pig rich.

If you are worried about warranty, do not mod it. Not worth the hassle. But if you mod, the warranty is not void unless it's a part that pertains to the specific failure. For instance, you run all the mods u listed and tune the car, blow up the engine, then yes, dealer will not cover you. But if you had a brake caliper failure, it has nothing to do with the mods, hence dealer should cover with warranty. But you will go thru a battle to get them to cover it.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
You can't do any of those mods without a tune. You maybe can get by with the intake but even then, the car is going to run pig rich.

If you are worried about warranty, do not mod it. Not worth the hassle. But if you mod, the warranty is not void unless it's a part that pertains to the specific failure. For instance, you run all the mods u listed and tune the car, blow up the engine, then yes, dealer will not cover you. But if you had a brake caliper failure, it has nothing to do with the mods, hence dealer should cover with warranty. But you will go thru a battle to get them to cover it.
I get the warranty component and failure by association, but with all the random engine's failing, I want a way out. Halltech claims the MF103 is good to go without tune. Maybe that's where I draw the line.
Thanks for the response.

G
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM
camaross621
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in order for warranty to be voided.. the dealer has to prove that the part you modded failed because of what YOU DID. example.. if you put a shifter in your car and it blows a rod... well that wasnt because of the shifter... if you do a cam/blower or anything engine related (even just a air intake) and the motor blows..your beat.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by timber wolf
I get the warranty component and failure by association, but with all the random engine's failing, I want a way out. Halltech claims the MF103 is good to go without tune. Maybe that's where I draw the line.
Thanks for the response.

G
No need to tune with the MF103. It actually leans out the a/f a little.

Some tuner posted a thread where he compared a ported LS7 to a ported FAST, and the power difference was minimal. A ported intake is about a 1/3 the price.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Cat-back exhaust and CAI WITHOUT a tune are about all that you can do without necessitating a tune to run properly. Headers and a FAST intake will require a tune to adjust the timing, KR, AFR, etc...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a halltech killer bee 1 without a tune my car ran pig rich wouldn't doubt if I lost power, I'd only spend the money on a CAI if your going to tune the car then its a good buy. But otherwise I don't see it gaining enough to feel without a tune to justify the almost 500$ price. That's just my opinion
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM
ritzz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on thinking the more ponies the better. I'd love to put an Edelbrock unit on my Z but, I'm having difficulty harnessing the stock engine. Other than drag racing for best time, does anyone really feel a lack of power with their stock Z06?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Originally Posted by ritzz06
I'm with you on thinking the more ponies the better. I'd love to put an Edelbrock unit on my Z but, I'm having difficulty harnessing the stock engine. Other than drag racing for best time, does anyone really feel a lack of power with their stock Z06?
I have some Jones' I need to keep up with, but am doing so lazily! The intake from what I read yields 15hp, and is about all I need.

If you're having a tough time with stock power, a roots blower is def not the way to go. The hit of torque at low rpms is going to shock your drivetrain and never even let you get traction. At least with a centrifugal blower you start with stock power and it builds gradually so you can short shift and get some down.

Last edited by timber wolf; 03-27-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Had a halltech killer bee 1 without a tune my car ran pig rich wouldn't doubt if I lost power, I'd only spend the money on a CAI if your going to tune the car then its a good buy. But otherwise I don't see it gaining enough to feel without a tune to justify the almost 500$ price. That's just my opinion
Which model intake was it? Sounds like one that required tune to begin with. The MF103 technically according to all Halltech's testing idles better than stock due to relocating the air meter.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the Halltech Killer Bee gen 1, works great after the tune don't get me wrong a good product but without a tune it was a waste for me
Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

My car with the MF103 intake runs 2% richer from MAF hz 2,050 to 3,700 and 5 to 6% rich from 4,150 to 5,800.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
My car with the MF103 intake runs 2% richer from MAF hz 2,050 to 3,700 and 5 to 6% rich from 4,150 to 5,800.
Interesting data. Any dyno numbers with and without the MF103? Is it safe to assume that the post installation dyno numbers with the MF103 would be lower due to the richer AFR? What about the other RPM ranges, is the AFR leaner?

Get notified of new replies

To Mission: Extra power without warranty void

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mission: Extra power without warranty void