Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 "targa" - Weight, Cost, Progress, Summary!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Z06 "targa" - Weight, Cost, Progress, Summary!

First, the headlines:

The cost: $11,000. (installed)
Forum GP for the first 10 buyers: $9,500.
The additional weight: 41 lbs.

Second, the details:

Weights and Measures

In accounting for the weight of the modifications made, I have separated the specific items into two separate categories: 1. Items that were essential to the conversion, and 2. Items that were optional. Each item reflects the net weight increase (or decrease).

Essential Modifications (Before / After / Increase)
Enhanced tunnel plate (5 / 31 / 26)
Tunnel cover plate (0 / 11 / 11)
Frame rocker covers (frame savers) (0 / 3 / 3)
Transparent top vs. fixed roof (23 / 20 / -3)
Roof mounting hardware vs. stock (n/c - n/c - 0)
Roof stowing hardware (0 / 4 / 4)
Interior trim pieces vs. stock (n/c - n/c - 0)
Additional insulation vs. stock (n/c - n/c - 0)

TOTAL ESSENTIAL MODS (28 / 69 / 41)

Optional Modifications
Interior frame rail bracing (0 / 4 / 4)
Chromoly chassis bar (0 / 13 / 13)
TOTAL OPTIONAL MODS (0 / 17 / 17)

TOTAL TARGA PROJECT (28 / 86 / 58)

“Show Me The Money”!

It should come as no surprise that this “targa” conversion did not come cheap. However, my original goal of performing the conversion for substantially less than the currently available aftermarket alternatives was certainly achieved. Like most “one off” projects, evaluating the actual cost, and then making an “apples to apples” comparison to another alternative is both very difficult and highly subjective.

First, what is the benchmark that I am comparing to? For comparison, a well known Corvette aftermarket shop will do the turnkey targa conversion for $12,500, plus a $1,000 add on for a transparent top, plus shipping the car to Canada and back. The system (as advertised) will add approximately one hundred pounds of reinforcement to the car. Therefore, the baseline comparison for me was $15,000. and one hundred pounds of weight.

Second, what is the value of the stock parts (top, front spoiler, hardware, etc.) which are left over and are now available to sell?

Third, there were several upgrades / modifications which I had intended to purchase for my car, which are now included in the reinforcement system. These include a thicker tunnel plate ($185.) and frame rail savers ($300.) These costs must also be factored into the calculations.

Fourth, since my conversion was developed from the ground up, there was no way to escape the extra cost of going through the “learning curve” of a new design. Extra time and materials, waste and inefficiencies of building, trial and error, I think you get the point. Many of the extra costs were a result of my determination to over design the conversion, and several changes that I made during the design and construction phases. In the final analysis I got what I wanted, and I was willing to invest the time and the money to get it done right.

The final cost of the targa project for me is actually irrelevant for several reasons. First, now that 3B Automotive and Matukas Motorsports know how to do the conversion, anyone else who wants to do it will be able to do it at a very reasonable price. The system has been designed to be available currently as a turn key installation in Bowling Green, and in the future the system will be available as a kit. Secondly, I had numerous other modifications done at the same time, so my cost also included those items. Nonetheless, I do feel an obligation to fellow forum members to address the cost issue, so I will do my best.

I would first like to point out that I do not have any personal stake in either 3B Automotive (Mike) or Matukas Motorsports (Steve). They are friends and we worked together on this project, and that is the total extent of our relationship. I have absolutely zero personal financial interest in their respective businesses.

The two shops have decided to initially offer the Z06-T conversion only as a completely turn key installed system. There are several reasons for this approach. First, they want to make sure that the first installations are done properly, and to determine if there is any variation among different vehicles. Second, they want to adjust their manufacturing process to be able to efficiently produce the product (laser cut, welding, etc.), and third, they want to be able to develop a detailed set of installation instructions that would enable other shops or customers to do their own installations. I believe that this is a very intelligent approach.

The two shops have also determined that all sales and installations will be done through Mike Rankin at 3B Automotive. Mike can be reached at (270) 843-9006.

The price for the Z06-T conversion, including parts and installation, is $11,000. This is for the basic system, including the chassis reinforcement system and conversion to a solid removable top.

A forum Group Purchase is available for $9,500. for the first ten forum members who purchase the system.

Options to the system include the chassis bar system ($1500.), the inner frame rail supports ($500.), and the upgrade to a transparent top ($700.).

In my opinion, the total cost of this system is very reasonable. I believe that the total “net” cost should be adjusted to reflect the amount that I would have spent anyway (thicker tunnel plate and frame rail savers), and the value of the leftover parts that I will be able to sell (fixed roof, stock tunnel plate, mounting hardware, trim, etc.). I believe that an adjustment of approximately $1,000. would be a pretty good estimate. Therefore, the net cost of the basic Z06-T system would be $10,000., or $8,500. for the first ten purchasers.

In summary comparison to the baseline alternative of $15,000. and one hundred pounds of additional weight, I have concluded that this version of the Z06-T is one third less cost, and less than one half the weight. I am very pleased with these results.

Road Testing

I have made arrangements with an expert driver to road test my Z06-T at a HPDE at Putnam Park, IN on October 4th – 5th. We intend to make a relative comparison to the stiffness of the chassis of the stock Z06 in a high performance environment, including the monitoring of any roof movement. It is also our hope that we will be able to road test the car with the roof removed. I will be reporting the results of this testing as soon as I return.

Conclusion

The Z06 “targa” conversion was a complete success, in my opinion. It was a significant challenge, a steep learning curve and a substantial investment. But now I have a car that has a combination of performance, styling and uniqueness that I am very proud of. I have also had the opportunity to learn things about the Z06 and to meet some very smart and supportive people who I would not have otherwise been able to meet. These factors alone are well worth the cost.

Like the old Chinese proverb says:

“The Journey is the reward”!

Last edited by NVR2L8; 09-26-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8

First, the headlines:

Second, the details:

Weights and Measures

In accounting for the weight of the modifications made, I have separated the specific items into two separate categories: 1. Items that were essential to the conversion, and 2. Items that were optional. Each item reflects the net weight increase (or decrease).

Roof mounting hardware vs. stocck (n/c - n/c - 0)

Optional Modifications

“Show Me The Money”!

It should come as no surprise that this “targa” conversion did not come cheap. However, my original goal of performing the conversion for substantially less than the currently available aftermarket alternatives was certainly achieved. Like most “one off” projects, evaluating the actual cost, and then making an “apples to apples” comparison to another alternative is both very difficult and highly subjective.

First, what is the benchmark that I am comparing to? For comparison, a well known Corvette aftermarket shop will do the turnkey targa conversion for $12,500, plus a $1,000 add on for a transparent top, plus shipping the car to Canada and back. The system (as advertised) will add approximately one hundred pounds of reinforcement to the car. Therefore, the baseline comparison for me was $15,000. and one hundred pounds of weight.

Second, what is the value of the stock parts (top, front spoiler, hardware, etc.) which are left over and are now available to sell?

Third, there were several upgrades / modifications which I had intended to purchase for my car, which are now included in the reinforcement system. These include a thicker tunnel plate ($185.) and frame rail savers ($300.) These costs must also be factored into the calculations.

Fourth, since my conversion was developed from the ground up, there was no way to escape the extra cost of going through the “learning curve” of a new design. Extra time and materials, waste and inefficiencies of building, trial and error, I think you get the point. Many of the extra costs were a result of my determination to over design the conversion, and several changes that I made during the design and construction phases. In the final analysis I got what I wanted, and I was willing to invest the time and the money to get it done right.

The final cost of the targa project for me is actually irrelevant for several reasons. First, now that 3B Automotive and Matukas Motorsports know how to do the conversion, anyone else who wants to do it will be able to do it at a very reasonable price. The system has been designed to be available currently as a turn key installation in Bowling Green, and in the future the system will be available as a kit. Secondly, I had numerous other modifications done at the same time, so my cost also included those items. Nonetheless, I do feel an obligation to fellow forum members to address the cost issue, so I will do my best.

I would first like to point out that I do not have any personal stake in either 3B Automotive (Mike) or Matukas Motorsports (Steve). They are friends and we worked togrther on this project, and that is the total extent of our relation. I have absolutely zero personal financial interest in their respective businesses.

The two shops have decided to initially offer the Z06-T conversion only as a completely turn key installed system. There are several reasons for this approach. First, they want to make sure that the first installations are done properly, and to determine if there is any variation among different vehicles. Second, they want to adjust their manufacturing process to be able to efficiently produce the product (laser cut, welding, etc.), and third, they want to be able to develop a detailed set of installation instructions that would enable other shops or customers to do their own installations. I believe that this is a very intelligent approach.

The two shops have also determined that all sales and installations will be done through Mike Rankin at 3B Automotive. Mike can be reached at (270) 843-9006.

The price for the Z06-T conversion, including parts and installation, is $11,000. This is for the basic system, including the chassis reinforcement system and conversion to a solid removable top.

A forum Group Purchase is available for $9,500. for the first ten forum members who purchase the system.

Options to the system include the chassis bar system ($1500.), the inner frame rail supports ($500.), and the upgrade to a transparent top ($700.).

In my opinion, the total cost of this system is very reasonable. I believe that the total “net” cost should be adjusted to reflect the amount that I would have spent anyway (thicker tunnel plate and frame rail savers), and the value of the leftover parts that I will be able to sell (fixed roof, stock tunnel plate, mounting hardware, trim, etc.). I believe that an adjustment of approximately $1,000. would be a pretty good estimate. Therefore, the net cost of the basic Z06-T system would be $10,000., or $8,500. for the first ten purchasers.

In summary comparison to the baseline alternative of $15,000. and one hundred pounds of additional weight, I have concluded that this version of the Z06-T is one third less cost, and less than one half the weight. I am very pleased with these results.

Road Testing

I have made arrangements with an expert driver to road test my Z06-T at a HPDE at Putnam Park, IN on October 4th – 5th. We intend to make a relative comparison to the stiffness of the chassis of the stock Z06 in a high performance environment, including the monitoring of any roof movement. It is also our hope that we will be able to road test the car with the roof removed. I will be reporting the results of this testing as soon as I return.

Conclusion

The Z06 “targa” conversion was a complete success, in my opinion. It was a significant challenge, a steep learning curve and a substantial investment. But now I have a car that has a combination of performance, styling and uniqueness that I am very proud of. I have also had the opportunity to learn things about the Z06 and to meet some very smart and supportive people who I would not have otherwise been able to meet. These factors alone are well worth the cost.

Congrats - an open top is always a nice option.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 PM
qualitycare
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, you are an amazing man. Your (and everyone else who was involved) work and determination will likely set a new standard for the targa top Z!

If I had the financial means... who knows, I may end up doing it one of these days anyway.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Looking forward to the results of the upcoming testing you have scheduled. I appreciate all the hard work you gentleman did to complete this project. Your car looks amazing, job well done!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8

First, the headlines:

Second, the details:

Weights and Measures

Roof mounting hardware vs. stocck (n/c - n/c - 0)

Optional Modifications

“Show Me The Money”!

I would first like to point out that I do not have any personal stake in either 3B Automotive (Mike) or Matukas Motorsports (Steve). They are friends and we worked togrther on this project, and that is the total extent of our relation. I have absolutely zero personal financial interest in their respective businesses.

Road Testing

Conclusion

Makes one helluva lot more sense to go this route than blowing money on a "Wide Body conversion" of a base C6 and then having to up the power on it to back up the look. Not to mention adding wheels, tires and brakes.

Best of luck with getting 10 folks gathered up.

The way some bitch about the Z06 not having a removable top, and how they would buy one if it did, it ought not be any problem coming up with 10 from this forum alone. Not to mention the others.

Finally, GM would be hard pressed to hassle you about your powertrain warranty. In other words, at least on cursory look, the car's powertrain warranty is still intact as the powertrain was not touched, it was not tuned, you didn't touch the motor the tranny, etc.

Considering that a Z06 can be had for around 62K nowadays, 9500.00 to get the removable roof, the power of the Z06 and keep the warranty intact.....like I said, makes a hell of a lot more sense to go this route if one wants a removable top, the Z06 look, and the Z06's power. And the Z06's badge. . And best of all, its a real Z06.

Thank you for your hard work, diligence and determination. Your efforts are truly an asset to this forum and many stand to benefit from your work and diligence.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-26-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome job and detail to your work.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I was hoping it'd be in the 5-6k range, but at the end of the day that's not really bad at all. Especially considering what many spend on performance mods and wheels etc.

Next car is going to be a JSB targa w/ chrome spider wheels one of these days
Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where there is the will, there is a way. Nice job.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations

TRR
Old 09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to have a Targa ZO6, but that is out of my price range.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PICTURES please. Are there any pics of a finished car we could look at or did I miss that in the thread? Thanks
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
NOLUCK13
Advanced

Originally Posted by combustables
PICTURES please. Are there any pics of a finished car we could look at or did I miss that in the thread? Thanks
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2136007
Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long would this conversion take and where is the shop located?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Greetings Tom,

Well done, well done. Excellent write-up and fantastic detail on a monumental project. The only thing I'll add is to personally vouch for Matukas Motorsports and Steve Matukas. I'm looking forward to your continued feedback as you drive and experience your car. Enjoy it!

Paul
Old 09-26-2008, 06:59 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Matukas Motorsports is located in Alvaton Kentucky. It's an easy 1200 mile drive.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:12 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Why mod the perfect Vette...oh well your Vette your money
Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
:

The two shops are located in Bowling Green, KY - home of the GM Corvette plant and the National Corvette Museum.

Mike at 3B Automotive can be reached at (270) 843-9006.

Regarding the time frame, it is determined primarily by the time to get the required parts from GM, including the removable top, the hardware and trim pieces for the conversion.

The frame reinforcement system can be manufactured within a week or two, and the installation can be done in one day.

The entire process, from date of order to installation, could easily be done within 3-4 weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 "targa" - Weight, Cost, Progress, Summary!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 AM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
I would love to have a Targa ZO6, but that is out of my price range.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
avacorvette
Burning Brakes

Location: Canonsburg home of Yenko Chevy (gone but not forgotten) Western PA

ummmmm $10,000 on a targa
OR
$10,000 on K-Tech engine
Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by troller399
Why mod the perfect Vette...oh well your Vette your money
Coming from a '03 coupe to a '08 Z06, I miss the open top. That is all I miss. This just gives Z06 owners the option of opening up the top.
A job well done.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 "targa" - Weight, Cost, Progress, Summary!