Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Gas shortage in NE GA

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 AM
buddyepa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas shortage in NE GA

There is a shortage of gas in and around Atlanta and most of north GA. Most stations that have gas have the 89 and 93 octane bagged, ie, none. I have searched for information on the Forum to get information regarding what happens if only 87 octane is available for my Z06 and all of it relates to blending with octane boosters, etc. If only 87 octane is available, will my 2006 Z06 engine be damaged by 87 octane fuel?

Also, anything current regarding where octane boosters are available will be appreciated. I have a couple of trip upcoming to the Cruisin the Coast (MS Guld Coast) and the Corvette Expo at Sieverville, TN. Once I get away from Atlanta, I am hopeful that 93 octane will be available, but I don't have good information about that.

Any help appreciated.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

I wouldn't be afraid to use it if you had no other choice. All that going to happen is the computer is going to recognize the crappy gas after some brief pinging and pull timing. The computer will automatically decrease the power of the motor.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
buddyepa
Racer

Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better. I can stand some loss of power in a pinch!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by buddyepa
Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better. I can stand some loss of power in a pinch!
it is expensive but find somewhere that sells race gas. sunocco makes an unleaded 100 octane. if you mix 1.5 parts of 89 to 1 part 100 you will end up with 93 octane. so to make 15 gallons of 93 you would need 9 gallons of 89 and 6 gallons of 100.

i calculated with 89 for some reason. duh. silly mistake so if you use equal parts of 87 and 100 it will produce 93 octane. so 7.5 gallons of 87 with 7.5 gallons of 100 will yield 93.

Last edited by jerseydrew; 10-01-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

There's no real issue using 87 for now...it won't harm the motor. Lower Octane actually makes more power, but can detonate in higher compression motors, hence higher octane required, but your LS7 will be just fine.

The label says "ONLY USE 91 or higher", but it doesn't say "Never, ever, ever use 87 octane"...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in Savannah and none here. Just filled up on Monday at Sam's at 3.79 ? (I think).
Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 PM
95cobraR
Race Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't been able to fill up in over two weeks. I decided to stay home this weekend rather than go to Road Atlanta for the Petit LeMans.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd stay out of the throttle while I was running 87 octane though.

It might be worth it to buy some unleaded race gas too.

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
it is expensive but find somewhere that sells race gas. sunocco makes an unleaded 100 octane. if you mix 1.5 parts of 89 to 1 part 100 you will end up with 93 octane. so to make 15 gallons of 93 you would need 9 gallons of 89 and 6 gallons of 100.

He probably can only get 87 right now.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-01-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:59 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
There's no real issue using 87 for now...it won't harm the motor. Lower Octane actually makes more power, but can detonate in higher compression motors, hence higher octane required, but your LS7 will be just fine.

The label says "ONLY USE 91 or higher", but it doesn't say "Never, ever, ever use 87 octane"...
Umm "ONLY 91 or higher" implies "NOT 90 AND LOWER" by DeMorgans Law.

So YES, it does say "Never, ever, ever use 87 octane"
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlBlkZ06
Umm "ONLY 91 or higher" implies "NOT 90 AND LOWER" by DeMorgans Law.

So YES, it does say "Never, ever, ever use 87 octane"
If its saying "only" use 91 or higher, then its saying never use anything lower.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Add an octane booster that's rated at 7 points. You'll find that at any autozone.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 95cobraR
I haven't been able to fill up in over two weeks. I decided to stay home this weekend rather than go to Road Atlanta for the Petit LeMans.
I hate to hear that. It is the last time you will see the GM Corvettes running GT-1 at Road Atlanta.

Jim
Old 10-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Trance Guru
Instructor

What is actually causing the shortage at the pumps?? I heard on FOX news that Georgia and kentucky were particuliarly hit hard with this, but the station gave no real reason for it....
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

He probably can only get 87 right now.

i calculated with 89 for some reason. duh. silly mistake so if you use equal parts of 87 and 100 it will produce 93 octane. so 7.5 gallons of 87 with 7.5 gallons of 100 will yield 93.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trance Guru
What is actually causing the shortage at the pumps?? I heard on FOX news that Georgia and kentucky were particuliarly hit hard with this, but the station gave no real reason for it....
Georgia, Tennessee, and N. Carolina are hard hit for gas around metro areas due to reduced refinery capacity because of the 2 hurricanes. We get all our gas from a pipeline that originates in Houston. Here in Atlanta, there are gas lines extending up to a mile and folks are following tankers to stations. It doesn't affect me since a tank of gas lasts me about 2-months. I think I still have $3.50 gas in the tank! Very few stations (1 out of every 10) have premium gas. Supposed to last another 2-weeks or so before it gets back to normal. Real downer. Never thought I would see gas lines again.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Dontrunmeover
Advanced

You can use 87 in it for as long as you want. Just don't step on it.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Twil1ght
Add an octane booster that's rated at 7 points. You'll find that at any autozone.
From the Prestone website FAQ's:

Q. I'm constantly hearing about octane booster products. You say 0 to 60® can boost my octane by up to 10 points. What's a point and how does it relate to my car's performance?

A. The term "points" is commonly used in the automotive industry when referring to the octane increase a product offers. This is different from the figures shown at your local gas pump, where the octane "rating" of a gasoline is measured in "numbers". This can sometimes create confusion as to how "points" translate to "numbers". The following calculation can be used to translate points to numbers:

1 octane point = 0.1 octane number

Increasing the octane of gasoline has several positive effects on automobile performance. A higher octane gasoline will allow a car to run smoother by reducing knocks and pings, which ultimately restores lost performance.

An example of this might be:

Common regular unleaded gasoline is rated at 87 octane at the gas pump. If you treat that gasoline with an octane enhancement product that claims a 5 "point" increase, then the end result will be a gasoline that has an 87.5 octane rating. In this example, the octane enhancement product provided 5 "points", which is equal to 0.5 octane numbers.

Prestone® 0 to 60® Booster provides 10 points of octane increase, which will increase the octane of regular unleaded gasoline by a full number. In this case, an 87 octane rated fuel would go to 88 after treatment with Prestone® 0 to 60® Booster.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think octane booster is a waste of money... IMHO

Get notified of new replies

To Gas shortage in NE GA

Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hope this helps

There is a shortage of gas in and around Atlanta and most of north GA. Most stations that have gas have the 89 and 93 octane bagged, ie, none. I have searched for information on the Forum to get information regarding what happens if only 87 octane is available for my Z06 and all of it relates to blending with octane boosters, etc. If only 87 octane is available, will my 2006 Z06 engine be damaged by 87 octane fuel?

Also, anything current regarding where octane boosters are available will be appreciated. I have a couple of trip upcoming to the Cruisin the Coast (MS Guld Coast) and the Corvette Expo at Sieverville, TN. Once I get away from Atlanta, I am hopeful that 93 octane will be available, but I don't have good information about that.

Any help appreciated.
Toluene is a commercial paint solvent. HANDLE with care just like gasoline it is 107 octane lean unleaded. DO NOT breathe the fumes some indications it may be a carcinogen. A Mix of 7 gallons of 87 and 3 gallons of toluene will get you to 93 octane and probably a bit more.
Here is a link to more information NOTE they started with a high octane fuel so the results may not be very applicable
http://members.rennlist.com/951_race...omparison.html
Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
From the Prestone website FAQ's:

Q. I'm constantly hearing about octane booster products. You say 0 to 60® can boost my octane by up to 10 points. What's a point and how does it relate to my car's performance?

A. The term "points" is commonly used in the automotive industry when referring to the octane increase a product offers. This is different from the figures shown at your local gas pump, where the octane "rating" of a gasoline is measured in "numbers". This can sometimes create confusion as to how "points" translate to "numbers". The following calculation can be used to translate points to numbers:

1 octane point = 0.1 octane number

Increasing the octane of gasoline has several positive effects on automobile performance. A higher octane gasoline will allow a car to run smoother by reducing knocks and pings, which ultimately restores lost performance.

An example of this might be:

Common regular unleaded gasoline is rated at 87 octane at the gas pump. If you treat that gasoline with an octane enhancement product that claims a 5 "point" increase, then the end result will be a gasoline that has an 87.5 octane rating. In this example, the octane enhancement product provided 5 "points", which is equal to 0.5 octane numbers.

Prestone® 0 to 60® Booster provides 10 points of octane increase, which will increase the octane of regular unleaded gasoline by a full number. In this case, an 87 octane rated fuel would go to 88 after treatment with Prestone® 0 to 60® Booster.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think octane booster is a waste of money... IMHO
Interesting read... what I use comes from PowerMist racing fuels - and it is not a waste of money. But perhaps what's sold at Autozone is. So I retract that. Go here and buy something that works.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Twil1ght
Interesting read... what I use comes from PowerMist racing fuels - and it is not a waste of money. But perhaps what's sold at Autozone is. So I retract that. Go here and buy something that works.
If I'm reading the website correcly that stuff will take 87 octane gas to 97. I agree with you, that would not be a waste of money.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Gas shortage in NE GA