Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Race seats sit too high - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 AM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Race seats sit too high - need help!

I just installed a set of Caravaggio GT race seats in my '07 Z06 on the stock seat rails. The problem is that the seats sit too high. I will not be able to wear a helmet with this set-up.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Does anyone know of any after-market seat rails that will solve this problem?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
I just installed a set of Caravaggio GT race seats in my '07 Z06 on the stock seat rails. The problem is that the seats sit too high. I will not be able to wear a helmet with this set-up.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Does anyone know of any after-market seat rails that will solve this problem?
You will have to find aftermarket lower rails. I ran Corbeau A4's in my C5Z and had to cut 1" of padding out of the bottom of the seat for the same issue. The only difference is your seats are very nice and you probably don't feel like chopping them up.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am about to change to a race seat on my 07 also. Did you have to do anything special for any electronic nannies that might be in the seat?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM
pbm457
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the bottom rear seat cushion and see how that feels. I did that with my GT seat and I've got enough clearance for my helmet.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Radguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ

I just installed a set in my car. I had John Caravaggio make me a 1/2 thickness seat pad to use when I'm on the track. You gain about an inch of headroom, but still have padding for your butt while on the track.

Have you tried sitting in the seat with your helmet on and the harnesses cinched tight? With the harnesses tightened, you tend to sit more compressed in the seat and that gains you a little headroom.

Jonathan
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Get the hacksaw out...

There's a rail which runs accross the bottom of the seat very near the back, it stops the seat from going a little low because it contacts the bottom of the 'bucket'.

Pull the seat out of the car when it's in it's lowest and rearward postion, turn it upside down and see where the cross bar contacts the bottom, mark it and then pull the seatrails. Now drill a hole in the middle and use a hacksaw to cut about a one inch slice a little less than the full wide of the bucket. You'll never feel this slice because you really don't sit that far back in the bucket.

This should get you about a 1/2" lower, still wont be quite as low as the stock seat but at least it's a little better.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05 '09

How old are you? And how much do you weigh? Did you get the booster seat version?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Red C6 Z06
How old are you? And how much do you weigh? Did you get the booster seat version?
Good questions,
The four people that have been his car are 29-56 years old.
160-200 pounds.
It fells like the booster seat edition.

AtomicZ is our customer. Lucky lives a hop skip and a lead foot away from our shop. We just got the seats installed on a thrusday so he could have the car over the weekend. On my 5 mile short test drive, it was the worst seating position I have been in. We normally install side mount seats and haven't installed the lastest seat (BTW very nice seat).

Have you guys used a different rail setup, if so, where do I get two of them???

Randy

PS Eric try the lower seat cushin trick like stated above
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I just sold my Caravaggio Race Seat for thsi very reason 6' 185 lbs and a 34" inseam. I couldn't wear my Bell full face helemt with the seat in and it had LESS lateral support then my stock seats. When I pulled the cushion out it was "OK" but for $3200 not good enough. Plus, It may promote more visits to the Chiropractor.

I reinstalled my stock seats and will pull them to put in my Sparco Evo pro's with aftermarket seat rails for full-on track events.( read: anything more than a parcking lot auto-x)

Get notified of new replies

To Race seats sit too high - need help!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Race seats sit too high - need help!