Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PFADT Competition Z06 Sway Bars Review...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Default PFADT Competition Z06 Sway Bars Review...

I have always heard about different suspension upgrades for Sports cars and Corvettes, but always figured that they were more aimed at folks who want to take their car to the track. They are usually pretty expensive and I figured that the installation would be a pain in the neck. Given the price, the perceived difficulty with the installation, and my thoughts that I would only notice the differences on the track, I have have always shy’ed away from upgrades such as this. Whelp, all that has changed……..

I recently sold my 2006 Corvette Z06 and purchased an 2009 Corvette Z06. I offer all of the Pfadt racing products on my Corvette Parts website and figured I really need to give some of their products a try. I have had customers tell me how much they love the PFADT Sway Bars and PFADT Corvette Coilovers but always assumed they were taking their cars to the track. I called Pfadt and asked them if I would notice a difference with handling on the street for a weekend driver like myself an also what would be the most “bang for my buck” upgrade. I was thinking the Pfadt Corvette coilovers, but surprisingly enough, Pfadt’s recommendation was the Pfadt Competition Sway bars. In disbelief, I went ahead and had them send me a set for installation on my new Corvette. I truly did not believe that I was going to notice much of a difference from the stock setup to the Pfadt setup.

About a week later my front/rear Pfadt Corvette Z06 sway bar kit arrived. I was really not dying to start what I thought would be a complicated installation, so the kit sat in my office for close to two weeks before I decided to take the plunge. Prior to taking everything apart, I had to take the Z06 for a spirited drive with the stock sway’s so that I had something fresh in my mind to compare too. I drove for 30 mins or so on a two lane secondary road that has nice tight turns and switchbacks.

Armed with a six pack and my hodge podge of tools I began the PFADT Sway Bar Installation (see link for details on the install). Removing the stock sway bars was pretty easy and took maybe 45 mins tops. I will say, comparing the stock sway bars to the PFADT bars, you see an immediate difference in quality between the two. The PFADT system absolutely makes the OEM sway’s look cheap and inadequate. The entire installation took maybe 4 hours (max). I will say that the PFADT instructions do assume a certain level of technical knowledge and are probably written more with an installation shop in mind, but are still adequate for a “shade tree mechanic”. I also did create my own PFADT Sway Bar Installation for Dummy’s write-up just in case you need some extra pictures or explanation.

Roughly 4 hours and a six pack later, my installation was done. Time for the first drive (of course, after all the beer was out of my system) with the new PFADT Competition Sway Bars. At first I was not expecting much difference, but after comparing the quality of the OEM components to the PFADT setup, I was starting to think maybe there will be a slight noticeable difference.

Startup, and the car rolled out of the driveway without any grinding noises or clunking (whew car still rolls, could not a screwed up the install that bad). Drove gently out of the neighborhood just to make sure everything was ok, and then accelerated onto a side street (45 mph) two lane, tight winding road. Ok, not is it is time to see if there is a difference.First turn, took it carefully and controlled…hmmmmm, felt good, my confidence was starting to build. Next turn, little more speed, everything still good. No noise…Now I really am feeling confident in my installation. Hit the next turn with a bit more “spirited driving”. Oh my god!!!!! I could feel a HUGE difference! I immediately understood what “Body Roll” is. When I hit a corner, the my butt slide laterally in the seat, but the top of my torso felt very little lateral movement (nothing like with the stock setup). Hitting another turn, I accelerated into it (loving the new feeling), same thing, absolutely amazing. It is very hard to explain, but you do not really feel your head getting pulled into the turn, all the G’s feel like they are pulling harder at the lower part of your body than the top. It was a clear case of you do not know what you are missing until you try it. I thought the Z06 handled good stock, and never had experienced what top notch sway bars feel like. I will never be able to go back to stock and this is one of those Corvette Modifications I would rank right up there with the Intake and Exhaust. It makes THAT big of a difference in your day to day driving experience and for the price, is worth EVERY penny!!!! Now I am really wondering what I have been missing with the PFADT Corvette Coilovers?

Let’s just say that I am not a sticker man when it comes to my cars…But I loved the PFADT sway bars so much, that I just had to put their sticker in my back window Actually looks pretty good on a Cyber Grey car.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review...sounds like a great mod to me.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

So there was THAT much difference?

Are these the Pfatty bars?

EDIT: just clicked on the link... duh!!

Have you thought about adding their adjustable shocks? I was thinking about doing this instead of just replacing the whole system with coilovers.

Last edited by obzidian; 10-08-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Peddlerpug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd also like a little more info on the PFADT Corvette Coilovers - The write-up at the site talks about a 'single damping adjusting control'. Any pics or info on how the driver adjusts the damping (new to coilovers)?

Also, the pic on your site does not show a straight bar for the C6 Z06 PFADT Sway Bar ... it seems curved on each end. But the pic here shows a perfectly straight bar for the Z06 set-up. Price the same for both?

And lastly out to the forum members, any reasons why you WOULD NOT install Coilovers/Sway Bar to improve handling? Big Warranty no no? The performance enhancements I've read about from the two are definitely appealing.

Thanks for the post!

Phil
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 AM
uktom
Intermediate

I have both the Pfatty sways and the coilovers on mine and not only is body roll markedly reduced but I like the adjustability too.

Each front shock has a adjuster **** on the top which are easily accessed from the engine bay and the rears need a hole drilling through the trunk to fit an allen key through to adjust.

Actual adjustment is quite simple and even one or two clicks have a noticeable effect.

They are also easy to adjust for ride height without affecting spring rate which is nice.

I tend to use the adjustability most on track and have one setting for the road I am comfortable with. Suffice to say that friends who have the typical anti american car attitute prevalent in the UK are always in shock and awe over how good the Z is when taken for a drive!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

I added the front bar to my car, along with a set of adjustable Pfadt Sport Shocks (with tbe adjustment **** at the bottom within easy reach, front and rear).

The bar and end links make absolutely no noise. Amazing.

And the car feels much more planted. It feels better in autocross, but the real payoff has been on the street. Way better.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Why just the front bar?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by obzidian
Why just the front bar?
'Cause you can't install a rear bar if you want to run SCCA Super Stock; against the rules. And because the rear bar is already pretty stiff.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the informative review. Where's the link to you installation tutorial?

I also have another question for you and anybody else: What would make a bigger difference in day to day aggressive driving (mostly through winding mountain roads with many elevation changes): the Pfadt adjustable shocks, or the Pfatty bars? I'll have both done, but one at a time.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Peddlerpug
I'd also like a little more info on the PFADT Corvette Coilovers - The write-up at the site talks about a 'single damping adjusting control'. Any pics or info on how the driver adjusts the damping (new to coilovers)?

Also, the pic on your site does not show a straight bar for the C6 Z06 PFADT Sway Bar ... it seems curved on each end. But the pic here shows a perfectly straight bar for the Z06 set-up. Price the same for both?

And lastly out to the forum members, any reasons why you WOULD NOT install Coilovers/Sway Bar to improve handling? Big Warranty no no? The performance enhancements I've read about from the two are definitely appealing.

Thanks for the post!

Phil
Hi Phil,

"Getting to know PFADT Coilovers" is my next project. I have already placed an order for a set and will able to answer all your questions then. I will also give you the straight skinny on them.

As far as the sway bars, the pictures are a little misleading...On the Z06 only, the front bar is straight, on the other C6's it has then bend. I have the same pictures on the site for both the Z06 and Coupe. I will get that updated to prevent confusion. Price is the same....

See ya,

Jim
Old 10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Thanks for the informative review. Where's the link to you installation tutorial?

I also have another question for you and anybody else: What would make a bigger difference in day to day aggressive driving (mostly through winding mountain roads with many elevation changes): the Pfadt adjustable shocks, or the Pfatty bars? I'll have both done, but one at a time.

Thanks!
Install tutorial is almost done....

I asked the exact same question to the guys at PFADT and they steered me to the Pfadt Sway Bars. Best bang for your buck.....Coilovers are also very good (so I am told) but they recommended getting your feet wet with the bars first.

I am telling you the difference is really amazing!!!!!

No B.S. , they really make your car feel like it is on rails.....................

See ya,

Jim
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM
8mywal8
Burning Brakes

I am going to the track tomarrow. I will test out the sway bars. I love the way they made the car feel, but I was a little worried about taking so much roll out that it might want to slide now. We will see.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 PM
8mywal8
Burning Brakes

What a difference these bars made!!!!! These are a must. Better then any motor mod if you go to the track.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8mywal8
What a difference these bars made!!!!! These are a must. Better then any motor mod if you go to the track.
Ronnie, what setting were yours on? I tried the middle settings last time, but may soften them up for the next track day.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the ride quality go down at all? Do the bars themselves weigh less than the stock ones?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:55 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Did the ride quality go down at all? Do the bars themselves weigh less than the stock ones?
No, ride quality remained the same (best I could tell). I think the PFADT Sway bars weigh right around the same as the stock bars but I did not weigh them. I have 5 sets of C6 Sway Bars and C6 Z06 Sway bars coming in next week and will weigh them compared to stock.

By the way, we are going to do free shipping on the PFADT Sways this week.

See ya,

Jim
Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 AM
defender90
Racer

Thanks for the great review! I read it. Got excited. Did a little more looking online at them. Was getting ready to call. Reached for my wallet... empty

On my "to-do" list, however!

Get notified of new replies

To PFADT Competition Z06 Sway Bars Review...

Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 AM
lorenzo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the most noticable mods you can do for the money and ease of installation. People that ride with me often say things like " I have never been in a car that handles like this" or Wow these cars
are amazing" or "Holy Sh&* that was cool" Thanks PFADT
Old 10-11-2008, 12:37 PM
8mywal8
Burning Brakes

Lorenzo I agree. But ZR1 forum say us poor boys will never be able to compete. Bring them, bring them all!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Do the Pfadt sway street bars not offer a discernable enough difference to justify them? You had stated that Pfadt steered you this way when discussing a mod to improve handling. Like you, I probably wouldn't track mine, but would love to have vastly improved handling (that's adjustable) without messing with ride quality.

Quick Reply: [Z06] PFADT Competition Z06 Sway Bars Review...