Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

[Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

i doubt the clips would get past the pick up screen
Old 10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Sorry to hear about your problems.

An engine can survive a hydrolock. I had a bad carb dump way too much gas into a ZZ4 and it locked up the motor.

We pulled the plugs and turned the engine over to clear the extra fuel. The car started up just fine and ran fine for the 6 years that I owned it and as far as I know, it is still going strong after 11yrs.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:39 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
NO kidding. GM Stock is the only "investment" that I own. 15k now or ???? Later.

Randy

I have some GM stock also.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I like the idea of them giving you a tremendous deal on a new Z06 which comes with the 100K warrantee and giving you high trade in for your current car

DH
Old 10-23-2008, 04:58 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
i doubt the clips would get past the pick up screen
Just like the needle bearings from a broken rocker arm . . .
Old 10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Just like the needle bearings from a broken rocker arm . . .
i havent heard any of them getting into pumps
Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

During this whole time another corvette brother could of taken his car to this place and had the same thing happen. Get a grip and take them to small claims court. It is free and easy. You are letting them play you like a fiddle. You set deadlines only to let them ignor. Who is in charge here anyway? Meanwhile you sit typing away while your car is depreciating.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Anybody that tells you hydrolocking a motor while trying to start it doesn't cause damage is full of sht. I've seen tons of damaged motors from trying to crank it while hydrolocked. Starters, especially gear reduction starters are very powerfull.

The last one I saw was a tech that couldn't figure out why one cylinder on a 5.3L truck motor blew the spark plug out. The cylinder had filled with fuel overnight and on the morning start blew the plug and threads out of the head. Tech heli coiled the head, new plug cranked in real tight and guess what - went to try to start it to see what would happen. Clunk. That's what you call fixing the sympton and not the cause. The true cause was a stuck open injector, as soon as you turn the key on that cylinder filled up with fuel. This time instead of blowing the plug out it bent the con rod into a U-shape with half of it sticking out the side of the block. A starter can do plenty of damage, seen it plenty of times with my own eyes, all caused by clueless greasemonkeys that shouldn't even be touching a lawnmower.

That SOB scumbag owes you a new motor. Period.

Tell him to crank a Nascar motor with the motor full of oil. Oil shooting out the dipstick and up into the cylinders past the rings? That was hammering the hell out of everything. Quite the testament to how strong those rods are, but I would still absolutely demand a new motor.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:17 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by kutlow
During this whole time another corvette brother could of taken his car to this place and had the same thing happen. Get a grip and take them to small claims court. It is free and easy. You are letting them play you like a fiddle. You set deadlines only to let them ignor. Who is in charge here anyway? Meanwhile you sit typing away while your car is depreciating.

A fellow CF member is having problems with his car and you chose to attack him.

Chris is doing everything he can. He has spoken to the right people at the dealership level and at the GM level. He spoke to one of the dealer principals today. There are offers on the table and he is maintaining a stern but professional approach with all parties involved.

During this whole time another corvette brother could of taken his car to this place and had the same thing happen.
Seriously doubt it. The tech that did the oil change was terminated and the dealership is now well aware of the proper procedure for changing the oil in a Z06.

Get a grip and take them to small claims court. It is free and easy.
Oh sure, that will get him far real quick. We live in such a litigious society. Not everything is solved with frivolous law suits. They are working together on a solution.

Meanwhile you sit typing away while your car is depreciating.
Are you for real??? The purpose of the forum is to communicate with other members. Did you read through his posts, all the steps, phone calls and actions he has taken? He is keeping us updated every time there is something to report.

Like I said in a prior post: There is a positive side....

He is very fortunate that he decided to wait for his car while getting the oil change.

(Hypothetically) What if he decided to drop the car off and pick it up the next day, it might of been sitting in the customer pickup area all cleaned and ready to be driven away. Chances are he wouldn't of been told that anything had gone wrong with the oil change. He would of paid the bill, been handed back your keys and away he goes.

He now at the very least has an 06 with a 100K B-B warranty, that's not including whatever else the dealership will offer.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris I amazed at how well you are keeping your composure on this There have been a number of good in puts from the members heres one you might think about and throw at the dealer have them give you market value trade in for your car BEFORE the ordeal on a new 09 Z or even an 08 that they might still have At any rate your doing a good job sticking it out You might also mention to them to check out the visibility that the issue has brought to the Corvette community - give the the FORUM's address! Take care Joe
Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I hydrolocked a motor on my C5, less than a second two rods broke along with two new vent holes in the block. 11.5 K later all was well.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
i havent heard any of them getting into pumps
Exactly - I was agreeing with you . . .
Old 10-23-2008, 11:52 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Off topic post

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 10-24-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by joe11204

(Hypothetically) What if he decided to drop the car off and pick it up the next day, it might of been sitting in the customer pickup area all cleaned and ready to be driven away. Chances are he wouldn't of been told that anything had gone wrong with the oil change. He would of paid the bill, been handed back your keys and away he goes.
If only that had happened Chris would be a happy man today. He would have saved a week of grief and aggravation and phone calls and none of us would have heard this story. If by chance a problem did crop up later, the car already had a long warranty from the last engine replacement.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TFAST4U
The long and short is when you fill up a dry sump motor with oil in the valve cover sealed plug area, you going to end up filling up your cylenders with oil. Henc the above disertation on what will happen if you put oil in you motor instead of the Dry Sump container.
Doing this can not actually "hydo-lock" the engine by putting oil in the cylinders because there is no way for oil that is in the valve cover to get in the cylinders ... unless you didn't have valves in the head.

I don't think the engine was "hydo-lock" in the cylinders, but maybe the excess oil in the top end got blown out someplace due to flooding the head.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 AM
TFAST4U
Instructor

Good day to all of you.

Sorry for the downer thread but I think we can learn something here. I know I have.

Update from dealer:

The S/M called me in the AM. On the table is 100k mile BB, and if I give the ok the motor will be removed and tore down to the bare bones to check.

Tomorrow I will meet up with the GM rep, and the S/M. The dealer is willing to tear down the motor if I want and repair of fix any thing that is out of spec. If some thing is way out of wack the motor will be replaced per the dealer. If nothing is found out of wack the motor goes back togather and is put back in the car.

I will have the intake removed infrunt of me tomorrow to see if infact there is oil in the intake, or if the oil came past the rings on the pistons. Or both......

Regarless the motor is covered if it fails the inspection, or takes a $%$#@ when in the car over the next 100k. That is if I take the offer. The waranty is good at ALL Dealers no mater what dealer it is.

The dealer is working with me, we will see what is said by the GM rep tomorrow and if infact there are other cases like this since 2006 and if so. If in fact there has been a documented oil change hydrolocking a C6 Z06 motor other than mine that has been documented. What happend to that motor? What was the out come? This I want to know for us.........the Corvette Forum members and my self.

On a side note. I miss my blind dog Sidney. He will be transported by Jet on the 25th. I miss him, he is a cool blind old dog! Not transported by him self but with my better half Rachel. It's been a month since I have seen them both...........I'm looking forword to taking my mind off the Corvette, and spending some time with the ones I love just as much as the Vet.

I will have updates tomorrow!

Chris

Last edited by TFAST4U; 10-24-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:09 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

The dealer messed up an oil change. Now THEY want to tear the engine apart and rebuild it

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change

Old 10-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corvette-pilot
The dealer messed up an oil change. Now THEY want to tear the engine apart and rebuild it

My thoughts too, these *** clowns couldn't change the oil and now they are going to do a complete rebuild. My crystal ball says - seek other solution.

Plus if your getting a GM extended warranty out of this deal, and a problem does show up - that puts the expense on GM not the morons that caused the problem. Not to mention the more problems they add to the situation doing the "teardown." They going to keep everything in balance? Debris concerns, fastener excercising...

If your not going to force them to install a new motor, I'd give that one a hard test and if it's still fine maybe it's fine. Maybe a couple of dyno pulls to check power and see if anything shows up.

I saw the same thing happen at a Harley dealer once. Harley's will do the exact same thing as they are dry sump. You are supposed to run the motor up to operating temp and then drain the oil tank. If you drain the tank cold all the oil could have migrated down to the motor. Or if you just drain the motor and not the tank... Either way you wind up with double the correct amount of oil in it, and on first crank up it will shoot the dipstick and a couple qts out of the tank. That's if your lucky. If your unlucky it will break the starter, twist the crank, rip a wrist pin out of a piston, bend a rod...

If it were me and it's running perfect, survives some hard tests, I'd leave it alone and get a pound of flesh in some other fashion.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
My thoughts too, these *** clowns couldn't change the oil and now they are going to do a complete rebuild. My crystal ball says - seek other solution.

Plus if your getting a GM extended warranty out of this deal, and a problem does show up - that puts the expense on GM not the morons that caused the problem. Not to mention the more problems they add to the situation doing the "teardown." They going to keep everything in balance? Debris concerns, fastener excercising...

If your not going to force them to install a new motor, I'd give that one a hard test and if it's still fine maybe it's fine. Maybe a couple of dyno pulls to check power and see if anything shows up.

I saw the same thing happen at a Harley dealer once. Harley's will do the exact same thing as they are dry sump. You are supposed to run the motor up to operating temp and then drain the oil tank. If you drain the tank cold all the oil could have migrated down to the motor. Or if you just drain the motor and not the tank... Either way you wind up with double the correct amount of oil in it, and on first crank up it will shoot the dipstick and a couple qts out of the tank. That's if your lucky. If your unlucky it will break the starter, twist the crank, rip a wrist pin out of a piston, bend a rod...

If it were me and it's running perfect, survives some hard tests, I'd leave it alone and get a pound of flesh in some other fashion.
Some good advice here
Old 10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok it's Friday now who is the dealer???????

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change