Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Power Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 AM
KRAYZ308
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering issue

I have narrowed down a problem with the steering in my 07 ZO6. I need to know if anyone else has had this experience and if there may some reprogramming of the speed sensitivity that can be done. The tires are 90% and the alignment has been done properly. The car has 27,000 miles on it and I have had the problem for about 5,000 Mi. Nothing is loose in the suspension or steering.

The issue is when driving in a straight line at anything over 82 MPH, the steering looses all feel on center. It doesn't feel like it is just numb from being over boosted. It feels disconnected. It allows the wheels to wander almost like very low air pressure or a flat tire. It is difficult to drive in a straight line. At slower speeds or if I am in a curve with the wheel off center, it's fine. I'm guessing that because the steering is speed sensitive, that there is something wrong with the software or controller.

I plan on calling my Service Manager on Monday to see if he or GM has any possible answers.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

That's a new one! Good luck and let us know what you find out! ,
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KRAYZ308
I have narrowed down a problem with the steering in my 07 ZO6. I need to know if anyone else has had this experience and if there may some reprogramming of the speed sensitivity that can be done. The tires are 90% and the alignment has been done properly. The car has 27,000 miles on it and I have had the problem for about 5,000 Mi. Nothing is loose in the suspension or steering.

The issue is when driving in a straight line at anything over 82 MPH, the steering looses all feel on center. It doesn't feel like it is just numb from being over boosted. It feels disconnected. It allows the wheels to wander almost like very low air pressure or a flat tire. It is difficult to drive in a straight line. At slower speeds or if I am in a curve with the wheel off center, it's fine. I'm guessing that because the steering is speed sensitive, that there is something wrong with the software or controller.

I plan on calling my Service Manager on Monday to see if he or GM has any possible answers.
How sure are you the alignment is fine ? Other things to check, which I'm sure you've already checked is 1) tire pressure 2) tie rod links both front and back 3) loose or worn ball joint 4) bad tire even though its nearly new

Things that make the car skittish, and turn in quicker are slight toe out on front with slight toe in on the rear. This will be speed sensitive, which may not show up from 0 to 80 mph but show up at faster speeds. Fact is many alignment shops do the job correctly but their machines aren't calibrated, so the job is wacky. If you have a shop that specializes in track prepped SCCA cars or similar work, try them to check current alignment. Chevy dealers are usually good but never great. Also, a 2 wheel alignment on a Vette doesn't suffice, you need a 4 wheel alignment. Good luck, hope you find it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
KRAYZ308
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klasik-69
How sure are you the alignment is fine ? Other things to check, which I'm sure you've already checked is 1) tire pressure 2) tie rod links both front and back 3) loose or worn ball joint 4) bad tire even though its nearly new

Things that make the car skittish, and turn in quicker are slight toe out on front with slight toe in on the rear. This will be speed sensitive, which may not show up from 0 to 80 mph but show up at faster speeds. Fact is many alignment shops do the job correctly but their machines aren't calibrated, so the job is wacky. If you have a shop that specializes in track prepped SCCA cars or similar work, try them to check current alignment. Chevy dealers are usually good but never great. Also, a 2 wheel alignment on a Vette doesn't suffice, you need a 4 wheel alignment. Good luck, hope you find it.
The suspension checks out. The 4 wheel alignment was done by the dealer on a very new machine by an experienced tech in July. I have the print out of the final readings. Slight toe in at the front and slight toe out at the rear. At this point, a recheck may be in order.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering issue

Quick Reply: [Z06] Power Steering issue