Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is the CTS-V a Competitor of the Z06? Here's My Vague Review With a Few Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Is the CTS-V a Competitor of the Z06? Here's My Vague Review With a Few Pics!

I’ve thought many times on how to write an unbiased review of the CTS-V vs. Z06.

We’ve seen many threads pop up repeatedly asking what forum members would buy if it wasn’t a Z06. It’s always been interesting reading because quite frankly, there is nothing like the Z06 in terms of delivering high performance wrapped with luxurious features.
Here are a few areas of note:

Overall Looks

Although looks are subjective, the Z06 is clearly the stand out here. When I drove my Z06, there was never a time when somebody didn’t gawk at the car. The CTS-V is a stealthy looking car as well, but mostly unnoticed by the masses. It’s only the car enthusiasts that know what it is who stop me or stare.

Winter Driving

A pic is worth a 1000 words!

Washing the car

The Z06 is a much easier car to wash. It’s easier to cover more of the car with the nozzle and the water runs off it easier. The CTS-V has many sharp angles and it does take more time washing and detailing it.

Seating position

The CTS-V equipped with the Recaro seat option is clearly superior. I wish these were available for the Z06. The lateral support is fantastic and there are plenty of settings to get a comfortable fit. I know many have expressed more support needed in a Z06 factory seat, but keep in mind how cheap the car is priced. I upgraded to Caravaggio’s in mine and loved them.

Amenities

Hardly fair to compare a luxury sports sedan to a performance car in the category. The CTS-V has a great NAV system with a GUI easy to use. It has air conditioned seats and the ability to copy music CDs to the hard drive along with integrating an iPod. The one thing I really miss from the Z06 is the HUD, not offered on the CTS-V.

Fuel Economy

It's been mentioned here many times that the Z06 gets incredible gas mileage. Driving my Z06 with high RPM shifts I still saw mileage in the teens. The CTS-V swallows gas with a big straw. You really have to baby the entire tank to get good mileage. The fact that the Z06 can get high 20's or low 30's is just unreal.

Ride and Comfort

I owned a 2003 Anniversary Corvette. If you remember, that was the first year the MR suspension was introduced. The ride was very comfortable while still exhibiting great handling. When going over a fast rise in the road, the car would hunker down and not get floaty.

The CTS-V has the latest version of programmed algorithms. And unlike the 03, there is a noticeable difference between Sport and Touring settings. When Touring is selected, the car is very smooth and takes RR tracks with no fear, almost like a hovercraft. The Sport setting tightens everything up and you can instantaneously feel the difference. Even with the Touring setting engaged, not many will find this car's limits, especially on public roads.

The CTS-V with the Sport Mode selected still runs softer than the Z06. The Z06 as you all know is quite comfortable given it's performance accolades. The main difference in the Z06 is you feel the bumps more directly, which is what you want in a sports car, direct and immediate feedback. You will see many pro drivers run their race seats with no padding for this very reason.

Performance

The CTS-V is fast, but not as fast as the Z06. Running a sub 8 minute lap around the ring is incredible. I chose the A6 for a variety of reasons. If I did not have other cars to drive, it would have certainly been the manual. I have no regrets. When down-shifting with the paddles/stick, the engine blips to rev match. There goes my heel-to-toe practice. As the car makes its way to the masses we will see more drag times. The car has already run high 11’s bone stock. A Z06 driver will have to make perfect shifts to stay ahead. The CTS-V has a very nice distinctive exhaust note, GM did a great job here as well.

Brakes

CTS-V has Brembo’s.

Overall Enjoyment Driving

Both cars are simply amazing. Here’s the long story short:

If I am driving in the city, I want to be in the CTS-V. If I am driving in the country I’ll take the Z06.

On the Track:

No contest here. The Z06 is the undecided winner. Aside from being lighter, it’s simply a more enjoyable car to drive as far as pure performance goes. The CTS-V is an awesome sports sedan that will perform great on the track, but that wasn’t its intended purpose. It's the ultimate cruiser with attitude and performance to back it up.

I understand this isn’t a top to bottom comprehensive review and I wrote it so on purpose. To answer my question in the thread's title.......These cars really aren’t competitors and to suggest so is simply crazy. The Z06 (& ZR-1) is still the best bang for the buck in the performance world of true sports cars.

Next Comparison...

Please ask any questions that need further clarification or topics I didn't cover.

Mike

Last edited by Short-Throw; 03-23-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Awesome... they're really neat cars.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:38 PM
ThePigWhisperer
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the cost on the CTS-V?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Nice setup having both! Kudos to you! Great review too.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Its been awhile since you've posted here. I've been seeing you over at Cadillac forums a lot.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:11 PM
WFO
Drifting

A carefully selected sweet set of HRE deep dish 20" wheels and now you're talking a head turner. Trust me.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Please ask any questions that need further clarification or topics I didn't cover.

Mike
Is that your new ZR1 sitting there? As always Mike, good write up and a great unbiased comparison. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice write-up. Been waiting for you to post over here
Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Please ask any questions that need further clarification or topics I didn't cover. Mike

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Is that your new ZR1 sitting there?

Is there something you are not telling us Mike?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ThePigWhisperer
What is the cost on the CTS-V?
I took delivery on one of the first ones, which was just prior to Thanksgiving last year.

If you paid straight retail, MSRP was 59,900 at that time and loaded w/ the Recaro seats was close to 70k. I'm not sure where they are selling for now deal wise.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Its been awhile since you've posted here. I've been seeing you over at Cadillac forums a lot.
I've been posting just not regularly! I've been in limbo between Corvettes.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

What color is that? Looks a smidge lighter than the Cyber Grey ZR1.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WFO
A carefully selected sweet set of HRE deep dish 20" wheels and now you're talking a head turner. Trust me.
I agree nice wheels look awesome! I guess my point was the Z06 gets looks regardless of wheels. The car itself attracts the looks , not an accessory!

Originally Posted by jschindler
Nice write-up. Been waiting for you to post over here
Thanks!

I can't shake you, your defensive is awesome!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

both have their pros and cons but both will make you when you put the right foot down
Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Is there something you are not telling us Mike?

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Is that your new ZR1 sitting there? As always Mike, good write up and a great unbiased comparison. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Thanks RR,

The ZR1 came in last week. I haven't taken delivery yet.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
What color is that? Looks a smidge lighter than the Cyber Grey ZR1.
You are correct.

The CTS-V color is Thunder Gray. It is a little lighter than the Cyber Gray. Of course the fluorescent lights can skew things too.

Here's a pic of it outside in natural light.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
both have their pros and cons but both will make you when you put the right foot down

This is most certainly true!

Get notified of new replies

To Is the CTS-V a Competitor of the Z06? Here's My Vague Review With a Few Pics!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice writeup and if those are all your cars, nice collection.
Must be nice
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bgreen83
Nice writeup and if those are all your cars, nice collection.
Must be nice
Thank you.

Nope, not all my cars. They are owned by various track members and collectively they make a real neat array of power.

Mike
Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

'Great write-up my friend.

Thank-you.

Red Cell.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is the CTS-V a Competitor of the Z06? Here's My Vague Review With a Few Pics!