Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DTC70's on the street

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DTC70's on the street

OK...so I am about to order these pads...but both places that I have called do NOT recommend the use of these pads on the street....NOT even to go back and forth to the track. I did not realize they need THAT much heat to operate.

Does anyone keep them on their car permanently and drive them to the track back and forth?

All the driving on my car is done on spirited driving, to and back from teh track and ON the track...so I thought I would be ok. Are they really useless without heat in them?

I have used HPS's on my ol' C5Z06...I know they are not as aggressive as the new DTC70's but I never had a problem getting heat in them.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM
imp zog
Racer

They will be *very* noisy (screeching/squealing, even when not applied) and they will wear your rotors out very quickly running them "cold" on the street. That said, I have driven the car to/from the track that way, and they seem to still stop the car okay, even when cold, it just sounds like bare metal on metal. If you get the cheap Napa rotors, who cares if they get chewed up faster, I throw mine out when the heat fractures get too big for comfort, so I have yet to actually wear a rotor out in the traditional sense.

Just be sure to apologize to the folks at the McDonald's drivethru for deafening them when you roll up to place an order!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
CKEvo
4th Gear

Hi TAILWAG,

The DTC-70 is really a compound suited for a DOT-R compound or a race slick. They are ultra aggressive. Your street tires will in no way get hot enough to make these pads (ideally) effective, even doing track days! You could risk getting in a big accident using these just on the street, I'd urge you to just have a set of cheap pads (Hawk makes some great ones) to drive back and forth with. Trust me when I say that the HPS and DTC-70 are not even in the same universe. The Z06 has a fantastic brake system, so you can probably get away with it, but realize you are taking a pretty big risk.

Otherwise they are fantastic for track use with a R compound or race slick, easy on rotors, great bite, great stopping power. I use them in my SCCA T2 car and swear by them.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree totally with all of the replies. The DTC-70 pad when cold, is like metal on metal. They will eat rotors, stop poorly and make all kinds of bad noises. Driving aggressively on the street to keep enough heat in them to be effective isn't a good plan. Drive the car hard on the track where it is meant to be driven hard.

Steve
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

x4 - street tires lock up very easy with this pad, but having said that, we were just driving a 67 camaro around with c6z06 brakes and dtc-70's, it's doable. I'd drive to the track on them, but I'm only 45 minutes from the track. -Dan
Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

they would ok to drive on from home to the track but not all the time, you will be embarassed to drive around on them since it will sound like a freight train when stopping
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Smarter construction.
Only Carbotech uses a proprietary Ceramic and Metallic brake construction, not the carbon and iron used in conventional brake systems. Since carbon and iron combine to form carbide, which is used in cutting tools, you can imagine what those brakes are doing to your rotors.

Carbotech Performance Brakes utilize true race compounds that are "rotor friendly," eliminating the grabbing and locking up that keep so many drivers and race cars from performing at their peak. You want to go deep to gain those precious fractions of a second before you need to brake, and only Carbotech brakes let you do just that. In every turn, all race long.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program....

I've always liked the performance of Hawk DTC-70 pads. No carbide cutting tool effect on my rotors. But, that's just me...

See you at the track. We'll see how my brakes work compared to other brands. I'm running the new Cobalt XR Series two-piece pads for the stock calipers. I really like them.

Steve
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Every time I read that Carbotech commercial I remember the 3 sets of C6Z rotors their XP12s ruined for me with uneven pad deposits. Tried their recommended bedding in process three times and got lumpy brakes all three times. No help from Carbotech other than saying I was doing it wrong, somehow.

DTC-70s for me. Excellent performance, never a problem, and certainly no carbide formation.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
And now, back to your regularly scheduled program....

I've always liked the performance of Hawk DTC-70 pads. No carbide cutting tool effect on my rotors. But, that's just me...

See you at the track. We'll see how my brakes work compared to other brands. I'm running the new Cobalt XR Series two-piece pads for the stock calipers. I really like them.

Steve
that literally made me LOL'd....

Get notified of new replies

To DTC70's on the street

Quick Reply: [Z06] DTC70's on the street