Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Nitto NT-05's - after break-in

Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 AM
PewterFRC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitto NT-05's - after break-in

I have to say - after the first week I was *very* unimpressed with these tires. They stink [still do], crappy traction at first [to be expected], and softer sidewalls than the GY's.

Howerver, after getting them scuffed in, and getting used to the different feel [due to sidewalls] I *really* like these tires.

They can almost hold 1st gear for me in 80 degree weather [560 rwhp]. Second grips great, with very little spin. I actually was wishing for a little 'give' today when I was getting on it - surprised me. Squatted like never before and pushed me way back in the seat.

Overall, they are a definite impovement over stock tires. I miss the sharp turn-in with the GY's, but the grip and quiet ride make up for it. I'm used to it now, and love them.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterFRC
I have to say - after the first week I was *very* unimpressed with these tires. They stink [still do], crappy traction at first [to be expected], and softer sidewalls than the GY's.

Howerver, after getting them scuffed in, and getting used to the different feel [due to sidewalls] I *really* like these tires.

They can almost hold 1st gear for me in 80 degree weather [560 rwhp]. Second grips great, with very little spin. I actually was wishing for a little 'give' today when I was getting on it - surprised me. Squatted like never before and pushed me way back in the seat.

Overall, they are a definite impovement over stock tires. I miss the sharp turn-in with the GY's, but the grip and quiet ride make up for it. I'm used to it now, and love them.

Sounds just the reviews a lot were giving the INVOs when they came out. Do you have any experience with those tires to compare to the NT-05s?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The Nitto NT 05s seem to get better with time. I absolutely love mine and have had them for a little more than two months now.

The stench is long gone now.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tire pressure COLD for the NT-05?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know as well about the tire pressure. When I buy tires from Tire rack they provide you this information but they do not carry Nitto's.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm glad to see this post. You had me worried that someone actually didn't like them. I'm hoping to get mine on friday .....

DH
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by shifter77
What tire pressure COLD for the NT-05?
I run mine about 33 ~ 34 cold for the street, they feel fine.

Haven't had them long enough to really know if that's the best pressure.

I do know that the maximum rated pressure on the tire is 51 psi.

augydog
Old 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts

I have had mine for a 3 weeks now. The smell is mostly gone, do not even notice it when I go into the garage. I love these tires. Much, much quieter than the GYs, better ride and they also stick much better. I still get some tire spin in 1st but cannot break them loose in 2nd on throttle alone like with the GYs. Have not driven them in weather less than 60 degrees so it may be different once the cold weather returns.

The NT05s are so good they have created another problem. I need GEARS now.... 3:90s would be great. The car would pull like a freight train in 2nd and 3rd, and 4th would not lay over nearly as bad.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
PewterFRC
Pro

Originally Posted by Minkster
Sounds just the reviews a lot were giving the INVOs when they came out. Do you have any experience with those tires to compare to the NT-05s?
I don't - but I seriously considered the Invos. I really like how they look compared to the NT-05's [at least in pictures], but I was turned off by the soft sidewall, and read that the NT-05's were a bit stiffer.

I would love to drive a Z with them to feel the difference.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 PM
PewterFRC
Pro

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I'm glad to see this post. You had me worried that someone actually didn't like them. I'm hoping to get mine on friday .....

DH
I was ready to take them off during the first week. Now, you would have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 PM
PewterFRC
Pro

Originally Posted by NEVERL8
The NT05s are so good they have created another problem. I need GEARS now.... 3:90s would be great. The car would pull like a freight train in 2nd and 3rd, and 4th would not lay over nearly as bad.
I was thinking the same thing. I get a little bog now if I shift prematurely. With the runflats, I could still light them up with the low-end torque easily, and get the revs up quickly.

Different car now!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I was ready to take them off during the first week. Now, you would have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
Great !!!

DH
Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

I don't - but I seriously considered the Invos. I really like how they look compared to the NT-05's [at least in pictures], but I was turned off by the soft sidewall, and read that the NT-05's were a bit stiffer.

I would love to drive a Z with them to feel the difference.
The reason I asked the question was the soft sidewall opinion. I have been running a used set of NITTO RIIs on my fronts and a worn set of INVOs (345s) on the rears (due to the fact the rear INVOs wore out much faster than the fronts), and have been working up the corner speed to see if there is an issue with this mix on the street. So far, so good. I haven't been on a set of NT-05s, but I have over 23K miles on INVOs and the sidewall doesn't flex that much compared to the stock GYs at street speeds IMO. From your eval, it seems the NT-05s and the INVOs have comparible handling characteristics on the street. Maybe someone with time on both type tires will chime in soon.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

The reason I asked the question was the soft sidewall opinion. I have been running a used set of NITTO RIIs on my fronts and a worn set of INVOs (345s) on the rears (due to the fact the rear INVOs wore out much faster than the fronts), and have been working up the corner speed to see if there is an issue with this mix on the street. So far, so good. I haven't been on a set of NT-05s, but I have over 23K miles on INVOs and the sidewall doesn't flex that much compared to the stock GYs at street speeds IMO. From your eval, it seems the NT-05s and the INVOs have comparible handling characteristics on the street. Maybe someone with time on both type tires will chime in soon.
Rich, come by and you can try my NT05's ..... hopefully will have them this friday, next at latest

DH
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air pressure for auto-x or street ,anyone?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Rich, come by and you can try my NT05's ..... hopefully will have them this friday, next at latest

DH

Are these going to be street only (what happened to the MPSCs?) or street and track?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM
PewterFRC
Pro

Originally Posted by jan eric
Air pressure for auto-x or street ,anyone?
I run mine at 32 cold...

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto NT-05's - after break-in

Old 06-18-2009, 04:15 PM
stano
Safety Car

I'm getting ready to put my second set on after about 6-7 track days and some street driving. I was just at Willow yesterday and at 91* I started at LF 29 cold RF 31 LR 28 RR 30

my goal was 38 hot front and 36 rear hot with my setup. They are sticky. My friend who had a C5 Z out there with new Kumhos shaved said they weren't as sticky as the NT05's....and my fronts are gone ( alignment and pressure issues now fixed ) and he was in the car with me. The rears are still good and I could get about 4 more track days out of them but new rubber is going on for the next event. FWIW, there was a C6 Z out there on Invos turning 33's He said it was hairy but he was doing it.

Last edited by stano; 06-24-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stano
... It's the driver stupid somebody slap me please

I'll slap you.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Are these going to be street only (what happened to the MPSCs?) or street and track?
The NT05 will be for the street ( I got a call today and they should be in tomorrow .... so call or drop by over the weekend). I might try them at the track to run in Stock Class in the Corvette Challenge. And as backup on a rainy day.

Will be trying the CUPS on 6/28. I hope they stick thru turn 8 at 125+ MPH

DH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Nitto NT-05's - after break-in