Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I am disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I am disappointed

First of all I am new to this forum,but have been reading posts for awhile and decided with all the great info always poping up I would join.Just alittle about me.I have always been a gear head and love everything about it.Back in in the mid 90's I had a tubbed and chassised 69 Mustang with a 572ci Ford motor.I built the motor all my self,and used to rev it to 7700-8000rpm.Never had a problem with the motor other than valve springs wearing out.I built another drag race engine for a friend that was based on a SBF but was 427ci and he used to rev it to over 8500rpm with no problems.The first Chevy I owned was an 03 C5 ZO6.Great car never had any problems,and to that point was the best car I had ever owned.Ok now when the C6 ZO6 came out I was just that Chevy could and would build a car like that,so in July of 2006 I was able to get a VY ZO6 and have loved the car from day one,but I am disappointed with all these engine problems that I keep seeing.If you go on the SVT board and look at GT500's I have not seen 1 engine blowup,and of course with the GT500 being SC they mod the hell out of them and they still take it.The motor is a 5.4 litre and after modding puts out 600-750 hp with from what I can see is very little problems,other then clutchs,and ZO6's are in the same boat.Again don't get me wrong I love ZO6's but I think Chevy should have engineered alittle more lee way into the car,so if somebody put better brakes and tires on the car it would be able to handle it. I have had alot of mods done to my Z,and they where all done by MTI Racing in GA.They have put a catch can on and done alittle work to the oiling system and I was told by Reese the owner to run 15W50 oil.My oil pressure is between 65-75psi when going down the road, and higher if I nail it.I want to do some track days once in awhile,and I understand that there is always a chance that something can happen,but what do I need to do tear the motor down every year to have it checked. I thought the ZO6 was built to do this,but now I am NOT so sure. I have been happy with all the work MTI Racing has done on my car and Reese is a great tuner.The race motors I built had loose clearances in the bearings,and I would run a high pressure high volume pump so it would still get enough oil pressure.Maybe the LS7 is built alittle to tight like a regular car engine instead of a high performance street engine.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

here we go again.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You nailed it! This thread is WIN

I have two more friends with Z06 and there engine went KABOOOM!!

I of course thank god for a awesome Z06 PERFECT.

Last edited by PureSwank; 07-22-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
sky1
Racer

From what I been reading from the vendors and other people on this site that seem to now what they are talking about ,if you track your
ZO6 and even if your Z in bone stone stock OTHER than sticky tires and upgraded brakes you need to upgrade your oiling system,so you don't have a problem with your motor.Maybe its just me,but that is alittle disappointing to me,sorry.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer13
How many LS7's have blown up? 5 out of 10,000???
5? That is funny...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

You bought a street car, not a factory race car. Hell, even the C6R can break down. What do you expect? It's a mechanical device. If you stress it, you have a chance of breaking it. You've got to pay to play.

At least it won't cost you $20K if you blow up your transmission with launch control like those poor Nissan guys.

So do you actually own one?

I have over 8000 hard driven miles with zero drivetrain problems. And I'm modded. A/C is a different story, though, but that's probably something simple.

I love my Z06.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by American Psycho
here we go again.
I would not have expected any less, and myself would have been "disappointed" had a thread like this one not shown up in the wake of the paranoia.

When paranoia shows up, it typically gets fed.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sky1
First of all I am new to this forum,but have been reading posts for awhile and decided with all the great info always poping up I would join.Just alittle about me.I have always been a gear head and love everything about it.Back in in the mid 90's I had a tubbed and chassised 69 Mustang with a 572ci Ford motor.I built the motor all my self,and used to rev it to 7700-8000rpm.Never had a problem with the motor other than valve springs wearing out.I built another drag race engine for a friend that was based on a SBF but was 427ci and he used to rev it to over 8500rpm with no problems.The first Chevy I owned was an 03 C5 ZO6.Great car never had any problems,and to that point was the best car I had ever owned.Ok now when the C6 ZO6 came out I was just that Chevy could and would build a car like that,so in July of 2006 I was able to get a VY ZO6 and have loved the car from day one,but I am disappointed with all these engine problems that I keep seeing.If you go on the SVT board and look at GT500's I have not seen 1 engine blowup,and of course with the GT500 being SC they mod the hell out of them and they still take it.The motor is a 5.4 litre and after modding puts out 600-750 hp with from what I can see is very little problems,other then clutchs,and ZO6's are in the same boat.Again don't get me wrong I love ZO6's but I think Chevy should have engineered alittle more lee way into the car,so if somebody put better brakes and tires on the car it would be able to handle it. I have had alot of mods done to my Z,and they where all done by MTI Racing in GA.They have put a catch can on and done alittle work to the oiling system and I was told by Reese the owner to run 15W50 oil.My oil pressure is between 65-75psi when going down the road, and higher if I nail it.I want to do some track days once in awhile,and I understand that there is always a chance that something can happen,but what do I need to do tear the motor down every year to have it checked. I thought the ZO6 was built to do this,but now I am NOT so sure. I have been happy with all the work MTI Racing has done on my car and Reese is a great tuner.The race motors I built had loose clearances in the bearings,and I would run a high pressure high volume pump so it would still get enough oil pressure.Maybe the LS7 is built alittle to tight like a regular car engine instead of a high performance street engine.
Your views are well stated, but I honestly cannot agree with your conclusions. Having owned an 04 Cobra, I can tell you that the failure rate, particularly from high speed runs above 130, was much higher due to heat issues on #7 and #8 cylinders. Also, you can make the LS-7 block stronger by using an iron block with greater bore spacing (like the GT-500), but it will add 100 lbs. to the front end; add another 100 lbs. for a supercharger and intercooler. There goes the handling.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 PM
sky1
Racer

Evil: I love my ZO6 as well.I thought in my post I said that have a Z,and have owned one since July 06.My Z is heavily modded and all the work has been done by MTI Racing in GA.

GMufflay:Yea I new there where some problems with 03 04 cobra's,but I have not heard of any with the GT500,but saying that ,does not mean I want a GT500.I love my ZO6,I just don't understand when a car has a dry sump for oiling that the Z has the problems that it does.Like I said I am just going off of what some venders are saying on this forum.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
homel01
Advanced

I owned a GT500 and sold it a month ago. Now I have a Z06 what I really wanted in the first place.

^^That explains itself
Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by sky1
Evil: I love my ZO6 as well.I thought in my post I said that have a Z,and have owned one since July 06.My Z is heavily modded and all the work has been done by MTI Racing in GA.
Ah, okay. I scanned a lot of your post because it's a big paragraph. I caught a 2003 in there, but missed the C6Z.

I would not be too concerned. If you're worried, change your rocker arms and valve springs and dry sump tank and add baffles to the pan and maybe an oil pump...

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 07-22-2009 at 09:23 PM.
drabe
Instructor

sky1 points are valid and although these things "happen" it does seem to be a systemic problem with our cars.
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Well not trying to be an a&* but to put it bluntly................................. ........................................ .............................buy a Mustang then
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Quit worrying about it and just drive the thing.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bluemagoo
Quit worrying about it and just drive the thing.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Sky1, I understand your concern in regard to the LS7 engine issue. Having had an engine failure in an '08 ZO6, believe me, I have felt the pain, and you have only read about it. My car was totally stock, right down to the tires. So, it should be obvious I am not a spokesperson for GM or Corvette. In fact, I expect I'm not their biggest fan right now. But, I love the C6 ZO6. Depending on the '09 and '10 model track record, I may buy another one next year. You have taken the step of modifying your car, something I would have advised against, but it's your money and your hobby. You have also identified the reality, in that the LS7 motor is probably sufficiently tuned from the factory, resulting in a stress level that cannot be consistently and significantly exceeded, except at substantial risk. You are apparently comfortable taking that risk, which is fine, but the car may not be so accommodating. I believe any car should be capable of being driven to its design limits without an engine failure, assuming it is stock. Apparently, GM agrees, since they replaced my engine under warranty. I think many folks have gotten overly exercised over the LS7 engine thing. Although I believe there is an issue of concern here, it is unlikely that an unmodified car is going to suffer an engine failure. Mine was an unfortunate exception, but still an unacceptable one. I wish you the best with your car, and I hope your mods cause you no grief. To those concerned about your stock LS7 cars, drive them hard and enjoy them. If my experience is an indication of GM's intent, you will be taken care of if you have a problem.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
sky1
Racer

EVIL:You have a good idea and might look into upgrading my oiling system.I have a MTI Racing stage 2 extreme right now(565RWHP) cam,lifters,springs,retainers,locks,port ed LS7 heads + intake,and upgraded rocker arms,etc...

GPChase: I like the GT500,but I love my Z ,and just think that the oiling system should have been better from GM.

Get notified of new replies

To I am disappointed

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You're not alone in your concerns OP

I'm curious to know how many LS3's have been sold and how many have blown?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 PM
motninorc
Instructor

Originally Posted by GPChase
Well not trying to be an a&* but to put it bluntly................................. ........................................ .............................buy a Mustang then

Look .... you bought a car (the Z06) that pushes the limits of a production car in terms of performance, design and technology. When limits are pushed ... failures happen. You want rock solid reliability ... buy a Camry. Otherwise, enjoy your Z and stop worrying about what could happen.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

SKY1,
it has the problem on left turn, sustaining 1g for over 4 seconds...hardly a "problem" more of an issue of surpassing the design...a 1500 fix is out there for hardcore track guy, or you can just slow it down on left turns...
There's something positive to be said here when the handling of a car surpass what the powetrain engineers have expected it to handle.
If your car is heavily moded, have you added the 1500$ fix (extra pump, with extra pick up and baffles for the pan and tank??)? maybe that would be money well spent don't you think, and then you have no problems...

Quick Reply: [Z06] I am disappointed