Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 Check Engine Light Came On Today - Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
STR8V8
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Z06 Check Engine Light Came On Today - Question

Little background, car has 19k miles and I just got it last week. Car is stock and I've only put about 300 miles on it since I got it.

I was driving and the car felt like it was misfiring a little but I didn't think much of it. I was about 2 miles from my house and the check engine light came on. Since I was off I decided I would take it to the dealer.

The car apparently was due for an update on the ECM for an o2 sensor issue that the ECM thinks is malfunctioning and can cause the check engine light. While the car was there the tech doing the work asked me to come back and asked if I ever had a wild2mild exhaust controller or skip shift installed on the car. I told him I did not, but the car was used so I had on idea what mods were on the car. He told me the battery was reset and the codes for the exhaust controller and shift silinoid were throwing codes but he wouldn't worry about them if the car had those mods. I told him I didn't so he checked everything and reset the codes with his Tech 2.

My question is, I didn't think these 2 mods would throw codes? He didn't think either of them would cause the check engine light, but it is interesting that the ECM recorded them and he was able to tell. When people install these mods do they disconnect the battery first so the ECM is not aware? I would actually like to purchase both the mods but if it risks voiding the warranty I will hold off.

Interestingly enough, I went ahead and asked him 2 topics that I've seen debated on the forums many times (I am a new member but I read here all the time.)

1.) Could he tell if the car had a different tune or if it was the stock tune? - According to this tech (the team lead for the vettes) he could tell if the tune came back as "unknown" but they only look for matching GM tune numbers when verifying the ECMs. To me it would seem you could just flash back to a GM tune and be fine if that is all they check.

2.) Could he verify the odometer mileage - Answer to this one was yes, he had ways of verifying the mileage on the odometer. He did not explain how or what they use. I asked him to verify my mileage since the car was used and he said it lined up fine.

Sorry for the long first post, was a fun day at the dealer
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

It was probably the software issue many of us have been having on the 08Z's. My CEL has now gone off twice and I bought a SCAN tool to reset the code. The code we all keep getting is "P0420 Catalyst system Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1". I bet that's the code you threw...and no, those mods should not throw a code. I have the Ultimate exhaust commander and have never had an issue as a result of that. Ask the tech if that was the code by chance...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM
STR8V8
7th Gear

Busa: I will ask when I have some body work done next week. On the warranty sheet it says 28CV Engine Mechanical Document ID 2261584 Reprogram ECM using SPS.

Which scan tool did you buy that can reset the code out of curiosity? If this is a common occurrence that is going to keep returning I might go the same route you did so I don't have to bring it in every time (took 3 hours today total.)

I think the codes for the exhaust controller and skip shift must of been thrown when the fuses were pulled by the ECM, but I could be wrong (I am new to this chevy stuff, usually a mustang guy)
Old 07-25-2009, 10:55 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you pull the CAGS fuse, it will throw a code. There's also a TSB for an ECM bug.

#09-06-04-011A: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 Set (Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM)) - (Apr 3, 2009)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 Set (Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM))

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 95112736

with 7.0L Engine - RPO LS7

Please Refer to GMVIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the reprogramming emission controller warranty information statement and to change the labor operation. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-011 (Section 06 -- Engine Controls)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the MIL is illuminated.

Technicians may find DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 set as current or in history.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the ECM determining that either/both of the catalytic converters are exhibiting low efficiency under certain vehicle operating conditions.

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace the catalytic converters for this condition.

A revised calibration has been released to address this condition. Follow the published SI diagnostics for DTC P0420 or P0430 and repair if necessary. If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this condition, reprogram the ECM using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest calibration available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the SPS procedures in SI.

When using a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

When using a Tech 2® for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

Warranty Information
For vehicles reprogrammed under the 8 year / 80,000 mile (130,000 km) emission controller warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6353
Reprogram ECM using SPS
0.4 hr
Old 07-25-2009, 01:10 PM
STR8V8
7th Gear

Thanks Duff.

Do you know if you disconnect the battery, install the CAGS smart fuse and re-connect the battery if it will still throw a code?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Get the 02 code cleared .... thats the only thing my car has needed to be in for

DH
Old 07-25-2009, 11:20 PM
lthrneck
Racer

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
If you pull the CAGS fuse, it will throw a code. There's also a TSB for an ECM bug.
Is that the fuse when using the m2w thing?
I keep throwing this code also have had TSB recaibrated etc. I do have the m2w switch. btw I've had the m2w thing for almost a year and just started throwing this code recently.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 Check Engine Light Came On Today - Question

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 Check Engine Light Came On Today - Question