Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] anyone ever hauled a vette on a car dolly or U-haul car transporter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default anyone ever hauled a vette on a car dolly or U-haul car transporter?

im going to be hopefully taking delevery of a Z06 in a few days. im trying to work out some logistics as to how to get the car home.
the drive is over 1000 miles and was planning to just rent a u-haul transporter and tow back home with my truck.
i measured the transporter today at U-haul and it measures 79.5 inches wide.
according tot eh corvette website the z06 is 75.9 (76 inches wide) in theroy it should fit, and i know ill have to either back the transporter up to a curb or use some wood blocks to reduce the angle so the bottom of the car doesnt rub on the way up. i can also raise the hitch with the jack on the transporter to get the approach more of an inline and less inclined position.
has anyone actually tried this before with a vette? any problems?
Old 09-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
im going to be hopefully taking delevery of a Z06 in a few days. im trying to work out some logistics as to how to get the car home.
the drive is over 1000 miles and was planning to just rent a u-haul transporter and tow back home with my truck.
i measured the transporter today at U-haul and it measures 79.5 inches wide.
according tot eh corvette website the z06 is 75.9 (76 inches wide) in theroy it should fit, and i know ill have to either back the transporter up to a curb or use some wood blocks to reduce the angle so the bottom of the car doesnt rub on the way up. i can also raise the hitch with the jack on the transporter to get the approach more of an inline and less inclined position.
has anyone actually tried this before with a vette? any problems?
Never got my C6Z on, but struggled with getting a c5Z on a U-haul trailer for a track day. Not sure if they all are the same - but I only saw one model at our place.

- The trailer tire stops where too high for the C5-front to pass over and we had to back the car up on the trailer. (C6Z front is lower, but shorter)
- Backing the car up will not allow the rears to rest against the tire stops. We put wheel blocks as extra stops. Not sure that was required.
- The angle between the bed and the ramps was to high and the car would hit as the front wheels passed over. By driving the trucks rear tires up on some ramps, the angle come down enough. Also tried jacking up the receiver with success.
- You can't open the car doors once backed up. Window Valet gadget allow you to close the windows from the outside, but you have to climb out the window.

The U-haul trailer looked wide enough for the C6Z, but only with an inch or so over between tire sidewall and edge of bed/track.
- I tried backing my C6Z up on the trailer with Hoosier R6s in rain, and that did not work at all - sliding sideways So I don't know that it would fit for sure.

1,000 miles could be a nice drive and break-in

/Nik
Old 09-20-2009, 03:52 AM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Dude! Fly to where you are purchasing it and enjoy your drive home No better way to get to know your new Z
Old 09-20-2009, 04:00 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nimo
Never got my C6Z on, but struggled with getting a c5Z on a U-haul trailer for a track day. Not sure if they all are the same - but I only saw one model at our place.

- The trailer tire stops where too high for the C5-front to pass over and we had to back the car up on the trailer. (C6Z front is lower, but shorter)
- Backing the car up will not allow the rears to rest against the tire stops. We put wheel blocks as extra stops. Not sure that was required.
- The angle between the bed and the ramps was to high and the car would hit as the front wheels passed over. By driving the trucks rear tires up on some ramps, the angle come down enough. Also tried jacking up the receiver with success.
- You can't open the car doors once backed up. Window Valet gadget allow you to close the windows from the outside, but you have to climb out the window.

The U-haul trailer looked wide enough for the C6Z, but only with an inch or so over between tire sidewall and edge of bed/track.
- I tried backing my C6Z up on the trailer with Hoosier R6s in rain, and that did not work at all - sliding sideways So I don't know that it would fit for sure.

1,000 miles could be a nice drive and break-in

/Nik

ok 2 questions, i looked at 2 u-haul transporters and the old ones are orange and silver that trailer had a higher lip at the front wheel that looks like it might contact the underside of the car. however the newer ones are all aluminum and the front tire stops are lower and also removable. it looks like if i have to i can remove them, park the car, re attach them after the wheel well has cleared the location where they stick up, then reattach. as long as the width was ok, i calculated about 1 inch each side of clearance of the tires and plan to use cut lengths of 2x6 lumber to create a longer and lifted ramp or use a curb to back up to that the car can drive off of and onto the trailer.

based on your experiences does this sound possible?

i would drive however i am driving in that direction for a wedding anyway and plan to pick the car up on my way home. if i fly and drive then im committed to buying a used veh sight unseen, this way if i dont like it and decide to pass i can drive home easily.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 AM
bluemagoo
Pro

i would drive however i am driving in that direction for a wedding anyway and plan to pick the car up on my way home. if i fly and drive then im committed to buying a used veh sight unseen, this way if i dont like it and decide to pass i can drive home easily.
The trailer sounds like an exercise in frustration - they're designed for "regular" cars. Drive down and take a friend/your wife(?) to the wedding. If you end up taking a pass on the Z, you'll both ride back together. If you buy the Z, you'll really enjoy the drive back and it'll be a good opportunity to get to know the car.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I trailered a C6Z on a UHaul trailer for a friend. He arranged the rental and mentioned that only one type of UHaul trailer was viable for the C6Z. UHaul will sort that out for you. Loading/unloading is an issue. We used a combination of existing ramps and 6-ft 2x12 boards to get it on and off. The fenders rotate down so the door will clear the tires.

We had the steel trailer and seemed quite heavy but towed very easily. It came with surge brakes that work very well.

Do a SEARCH for trailering and you'll find lots of good advice for a first time tower. Most important - put the Z in neutral and set the emergency brake.

Hope the Z works out for you!

Jim
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I trailered a C6Z on a UHaul trailer for a friend. He arranged the rental and mentioned that only one type of UHaul trailer was viable for the C6Z. UHaul will sort that out for you. Loading/unloading is an issue. We used a combination of existing ramps and 6-ft 2x12 boards to get it on and off. The fenders rotate down so the door will clear the tires.

We had the steel trailer and seemed quite heavy but towed very easily. It came with surge brakes that work very well.

Do a SEARCH for trailering and you'll find lots of good advice for a first time tower. Most important - put the Z in neutral and set the emergency brake.

Hope the Z works out for you!

perfect! this was the post i was looking for!
we measured 2 types of trailer and the orange and silver one the old style was a little narrorer by an inch and the front where the tires sit was not designed to be removed, the stops were a little higher as well.
the new model the all aluminum one was lower to the ground and looked like it would be better suited for me needs.
im sure the one you describe was the gray all aluminum one and it had the tilting fender on the drivers side.
didnt look to see if the orange one had that feature or not.
Jim
my thoughts are exactly as you said, it looks to me like the hardest part is getting it to clear and that is easily fixed with a curb, wood planks and some creative engineering
Old 09-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

ok 2 questions, i looked at 2 u-haul transporters and the old ones are orange and silver that trailer had a higher lip at the front wheel that looks like it might contact the underside of the car. however the newer ones are all aluminum and the front tire stops are lower and also removable. it looks like if i have to i can remove them, park the car, re attach them after the wheel well has cleared the location where they stick up, then reattach. as long as the width was ok, i calculated about 1 inch each side of clearance of the tires and plan to use cut lengths of 2x6 lumber to create a longer and lifted ramp or use a curb to back up to that the car can drive off of and onto the trailer.

based on your experiences does this sound possible?

I'm sure we used an older one - definitely not all aluminum. The fender would tip down, but the car door would still not clear.

Good luck with your purchase. If you like it, I'm sure you will find a way to get it home

/Nik
Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

I have had to tow my Z twice on u hauls

The newer alum. works the best. make sure you have the width for the tires on there ramps. other than that no problem. you will need a couple of 2x8s maybe 24" long to help clear the front spoiler but other than that no sweat. the only thing will be that you WILL have to climb out the back hatch to get in and out.

they both will work and tow well.

Good luck and let the fun begin.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madsen
I have had to tow my Z twice on u hauls

The newer alum. works the best. make sure you have the width for the tires on there ramps. other than that no problem. you will need a couple of 2x8s maybe 24" long to help clear the front spoiler but other than that no sweat. the only thing will be that you WILL have to climb out the back hatch to get in and out.

they both will work and tow well.

Good luck and let the fun begin.
cool! thanks for the reply, i also made some ramps for the back wheels on my truck. tell me if you think this will work.
to understand what i plan to do you have to visualize the truck and trailer on a side view. i have 4 layers of 2x8 boards stacked and offset each progressivly shorter to make a ramp that sits about 6" off the ground. when i drive the trucks rear wheels up the ramp it raises the hitch about 8.5 inches off the ground, this lifting the toungue of the trailer and lowering the backend towards the ground. my hope is that the ramps at the end of the trailer will lay flatter on the ground, cause them to also be a straight shot from the ground all the way up the ramp so there is no hump to clear as i load the car.
despite going up a hill loading should be easy. i can even look for a hill to park on to aid the loading process.

another idea is to find a curb i can back the trailer over thus acheiving the same principal. assuming i have an easy way to drive the vette onto the sidewalk or elevated surface this should work well.

i think the raised rear end of the truck is the best and simplest way to load without scraping anything.

i made the ramps so i could stop on any of the sections giving me 1, 2, 3, 4 sections and different heights

and just like your suggestion i have a couple spare loose 2x8 peices to help with the approach angle if needed. i think with all i have thought of it should be a snap!

ive checked the with and i should have 1.5 inches each side and i suspected i would exit the car through the hatch.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 AM
02magred
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default u haul trailer

I would not waste your time with a u haul trailer.
In March hauled buddies C6 roadster down to deal on trailer no problems,'ZO6 did not fit due to the wide of the outside width of rear tires. There is a bar that runs down the length of the trailer the tires will not clear.
Lucky nice day and road were clear here in New England so he drove home following the trailer.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM
FatherandSon
Heel & Toe

Default Trailetr

I just transported my zo6 705 miles on a u haul trailer get the wide one and back it on. You will be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone ever hauled a vette on a car dolly or U-haul car transporter?

Quick Reply: [Z06] anyone ever hauled a vette on a car dolly or U-haul car transporter?