Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LG Motorsports GT2 Coilovers HD video and track test

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 AM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default LG Motorsports GT2 Coilovers HD video and track test

I am fortunate enough to live within 15 miles of LG motorsports and have long been stricken with"Mod Fever". I previously owned a 94 Corvette (and wished it was a corvette challenge car) and an 88 Trans Am GTA (that I dreamed of taking to the “Silver State Challenge“ later known as the “blue blocker challenge“). Two and a half years ago I purchased a 2007 Corvette Z06 (my best car to date). Being from the Dallas Metroplex and a fan of Corvettes, Trans Ams and Camaro’s, I have long known the name Lou Gigliotti. I remember going to the Dallas Grand Prix back in the late 80's and early 90's and watching Lou drive his Corvette Challenge car. I thought that I would never get to drive a car on closed road course. Knowing that Lou has been around racing for more than 25 years and has proven to be a winner, when it came to making modifications to my brand new Z06 the first and only place I could think of was LG Motorsports.

My first modifications were LG Pro Longtube headers, K&N filter and a LG Dyno Tune which resulted in 487 RWHP. Then I added a set of Borla Stingers and my car began to sound a like a Racecar. Soon after I began taking my car to Motorsport Ranch just outside of the Dallas Metroplex and attending a Local driving school which travels to several tracks in Texas. After getting some proper instruction and gaining a bit of seat time I found the need to continue my upgrades. I chose Hoosier R6's for tires and then decided that bigger and better brakes were necessary and undoubtedly more economical than wearing out a set of OEM rotors and pads every weekend I went to the track. I chose to install the Stoptech front brake Kit because Lou and countless other racers have proven their durability and incredible stopping power when Cobalt XR2 pads are used. After upgrading my brakes and purchasing a decent racing seat with a 6 point harness I could now concentrate more on my driving and less on keeping myself from sliding out of my seat or worrying about brake fade. I was getting even faster at the track and more addicted to the sport.

That brings us up to about a month ago when I was headed to Texas World Speedway for another weekend of driving school and wanted to improve the cornering ability of my Vette. I had LG Motorsports put their G1 sway bars on my car. The results of this budget conscious decision were far beyond my expectations. For $650 bucks you can't beat this choice anywhere. I drive my Corvette daily and my racing budget is spread a bit thin so the new adjustable GT2 Coilovers were looking very attractive to me. Last week I went ahead and had the GT2's installed and couldn't wait to get to Motorsport Ranch for a track test. Wow, what a difference they make. I felt so much confidence in my Z it gave me perma grin. The steering feel is dramatically increased compared to the OEM shock and leaf spring setup. Bumps, curbing and rough transitions had little affect on the stability of my car as it always stayed planted and settled extremely quickly. The confidence given by these suspension upgrades makes me feel like there is no car on the track that I can't beat including other corvettes, Vipers and Porsche's alike.

So I would like to thank LG motorsports for bringing their race experience, research and development, and making this available to the general public at prices the weekend racer can afford. More testing to come as far as daily driving ride quality and street performance but here is some HD video of my day at the track including Telemetry. I recorded 1.5 to 1.6 Lateral G's which was an improvement over the Sway bars alone of 0.2 G's. Unexpectedly, I also saw an increase in braking G’s. I was able to make simple adjustments to the suspension ride stiffness by hand turning the 12 setting adjuster on the top of the shock until it clicks. No jacking or tire removal necessary. There is also no need to cut any holes in the trunk to access the adjusters. It takes 20 seconds per shock and all you have to do is lay on your back and reach up to the adjuster. It was 35 degrees outside this weekend so it took a lot to get heat in the tires but I always felt in control of the vehicle. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Itgudi0-A

Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Great write up and from everywhere I read on the forum LG is the company that sets the bar for others.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Wow, nice video!

Good work out there on the track Jason!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Thanks Anthony!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Z06 FTW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome driving!

Just watched one of your vids from ECR ~ I was at the same event since I noticed the start of the front straight was coned off because of the blown Miata engine. Will you be attending ECR this weekend? It's $50/day plus 2 canned goods. I'll be there in the s2000. I'd love to take a ride in your car if possible ~ picked up an 07 Z06 last month and want to start tracking it. Just not familiar enough with the car yet.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Just watched one of your vids from ECR ~ I was at the same event since I noticed the start of the front straight was coned off because of the blown Miata engine. Will you be attending ECR this weekend? It's $50/day plus 2 canned goods. I'll be there in the s2000. I'd love to take a ride in your car if possible ~ picked up an 07 Z06 last month and want to start tracking it. Just not familiar enough with the car yet.
I did not know about this track day at ECR. I wish I could make it but I need to have LG change my valve springs and get a few other things taken care of before I return to the track.

I would be happy to take you for a ride but I also need to buy an additional seat so the passenger has equal saftey equipment which is a standard rule (although not always strickly enforced). Do you often attend The driversedge events? I will most likely be returning to MSR in February.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice video, that place is busier than a NYC subway...

All these track now a days seem to all be the same, lots of slow/medium speed corners. What ever happened to the guys who designed Road Atlanta or Watkins Glen or VIR....
Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
nice video, that place is busier than a NYC subway...

All these track now a days seem to all be the same, lots of slow/medium speed corners. What ever happened to the guys who designed Road Atlanta or Watkins Glen or VIR....
or Mosport
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Default More Video

Texas World Speedway is a bit faster. Here is a link to some video with the G1 sway bars installed and prior to getting the GT2's. The sway bars are a great way to start if you want to go faster for little money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSGMJP9u9vg

And if you want to see what it looks like from outside the car hear you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMocW_qdZG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27n5cr_Tp1A
Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice driving! Your car runs very flat in the turns. Looks like a bitchin track.. when I get my Z next year I'll have to come down there and try it out.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 AM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Very nice driving! Your car runs very flat in the turns. Looks like a bitchin track.. when I get my Z next year I'll have to come down there and try it out.
Thanks...this suspension pacakage makes a huge difference on this 3.1 mile track and I am sure that with some more tunning it will even handle better. When you get the Z come on over and give this track a run. It is one of the best in Texas and is maintained very well. With my brake and suspension upgrades and also a year more of driving school I have shaved 20 seconds off of my laptimes. I thought I was going fast a year ago! I hope to drop another 3 or 4 seconds off of my lap times by next year. I know that my car is capable of doing that but I must continue to increase my driving skills. Maybe add a cam package as well. There is a Porsche Cup car and a Ferrari Challenge car that run laptimes around 2.17 (these are professional drivers in real racecars). I would like to see Lou bring his racecar out to the track and kick their ***! How about it Lou?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be there! I'm from DFW so I'm back there whenever I have the time.. Might even buy my Z out of TX.. I bought my M5 down there.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm...might want to upgrade your oiling system if your going to play at that level often. Id look into it.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Yes I have already spoken with Anthony about the ARE system and will have it installed and my valve springs changed prior to going back to the track in February.

If you notice in the Video I am taking it easy on the motor as best I can by short shifting around the 6000 RPM range. I don't know if this is saving anthing but it made me feel a little better.

Thanks for the good advice anyway.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 PM
bx goat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good driving bro!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Thanks bx goat...I am getting better. Added confidence in the car helps a lot. I feel like I can put the Z anywhere on the track I want for the most part but I still have plenty to learn. Having a blast doing it!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
bx goat
Racer

I need to make time and start attending these HPDE's. Videos like yours motivate me to get off my lazy ****!

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports GT2 Coilovers HD video and track test

Old 12-11-2009, 12:02 AM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Originally Posted by bx goat
I need to make time and start attending these HPDE's. Videos like yours motivate me to get off my lazy ****!

Thanks...I started recording video my 3rd or 4th driving event a little over 2 years ago. You will not regret taking your vette to the track and I guarentee that you will love it all the more. It is a safe and legal place to really find out what your machine is capable of doing. I thought that I was going fast back then until I let an instructor drive my car as I sat in the passenger seat holding on to the door handle for dear life as he made my GY runflats squeal all they around the track. I thought to myself, there is no way that I will ever be able to drive like this guy. Now I am just as fast as he is not to say that I am a better driver than him because I am definetly not. I have also gained a little skill in video editing which makes my track experience last much longer and makes for good study material. Some of my early videos are just plain hard to watch. Give them a look if you can stand it!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
bx goat
Racer

Originally Posted by jmorgan07z06
Thanks...I started recording video my 3rd or 4th driving event a little over 2 years ago. You will not regret taking your vette to the track and I guarentee that you will love it all the more. It is a safe and legal place to really find out what your machine is capable of doing. I thought that I was going fast back then until I let an instructor drive my car as I sat in the passenger seat holding on to the door handle for dear life as he made my GY runflats squeal all they around the track. I thought to myself, there is no way that I will ever be able to drive like this guy. Now I am just as fast as he is not to say that I am a better driver than him because I am definetly not. I have also gained a little skill in video editing which makes my track experience last much longer and makes for good study material. Some of my early videos are just plain hard to watch. Give them a look if you can stand it!
Good info and I'll definitely watch the older vids if I can find them lol

Thanks once again
Old 12-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Great video. I live about 4 miles from LG and feel the same way

Quick Reply: [Z06] LG Motorsports GT2 Coilovers HD video and track test