Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Optima D35 Yellow battery install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
NigelM5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima D35 Yellow battery install

I needed to get a new battery. The Delco one went bad....maybe my 2nd or 3rd. I read all the threads and posts about the various batteries. Definitely, the braille is appealing for its light weight but I was concerned about its overall power. I have to admit I got a little confused from all the Optima battery posts. Nontheless, I went down to autozone and got a D35 yellow. They had it in stock.

I was so easy to fit and install. First, it fit in the battery compartment with no problem. I bought two other things...an adjustable battery hold-down (lynx LBHUA) and Battery hold down bolts (LB8J) also from autozone (each of those parts was around $5-6).

It fit perfectly. The terminals lined up right. No sweat. I turned the battery aroung so (+) was on the driver's side. The universal bracket holds it more firmly than stock.

Some of the other posts made it seem like getting this battery to fit would be a thrash, it really wasn't. Time will tell how this battery fairs. Nigel.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM
StoleIt
Racer

Nice.

My red top Optima fit perfectly, but it was a strain to get the lead to fit on it. GM didn't give me a lot of slack, sadly.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

I plan on getting one but my delco with a maintainer is fine so far since I only drive it on the weekends..

Good info though!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would not have bought a yellow top as thoes are deep cycle batteries, meant for running somthing like a motor home where the batteries run with low current applications for long periods of time.
the red top would be the battery you seek.
however i will say that the optima battries are IMPO the best battery ever made. i doubt seriously your car will outlive that battery. also they work much better in cold application than any lead acid

edit, i just checked and optimas website shows the red tops have about 150-200 more cold cranking amps than the yellow top. just as i stated the yellow batt will start the car but you have it in the wrong application. the red is the batt you want.

Last edited by bass mechanic; 01-10-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Nigel, thanks for choosing a YellowTop. Our YellowTop battery it a true dual-purpose, starting/deep-cycle battery. An appropriately-sized YellowTop will work just fine in automotive applications and is especially useful for vehicles with significant aftermarket electronics or car owners who like to operate their stereo for extended periods of time with the engine off.

Replacement batteries should have cold cranking amps equal to or greater than the OEM battery they replace, but CCAs are more of a concern for vehicles that are driven in colder climates and not as important for vehicles driven in temperate climates. This video helps explain the differences between our various batteries- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSeqepGN60

If your vehicle is not a daily driver, this video will offer some tips that will help extend the life of your battery- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z40SQCKWKNw

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you'll also be happy to know that the Yellows have a 3 year replacement warranty over the reds (which according to the website) only has a 1 year.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Hey Nigel, thanks for choosing a YellowTop. Our YellowTop battery it a true dual-purpose, starting/deep-cycle battery. An appropriately-sized YellowTop will work just fine in automotive applications and is especially useful for vehicles with significant aftermarket electronics or car owners who like to operate their stereo for extended periods of time with the engine off.

Replacement batteries should have cold cranking amps equal to or greater than the OEM battery they replace, but CCAs are more of a concern for vehicles that are driven in colder climates and not as important for vehicles driven in temperate climates. This video helps explain the differences between our various batteries- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSeqepGN60

If your vehicle is not a daily driver, this video will offer some tips that will help extend the life of your battery- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z40SQCKWKNw

Jim McIlvaine
I do like the Optima batteries, but the 35 or 35D specified for our cars do not vent, do you have a drop in battery that does vent. I prefer a battery that vents, if not I'm stuck with a stock battery again.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m not sure which website Zed_six is referring to (link please?), but all new RedTops and YellowTops carry three-year warranties for consumer applications. Our warranty information can be found here: http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...ucts/warranty/

Spearfisher, it looks like you have a '06 ZO6 and although we don't have what we consider a "direct-fit" replacement for that specific vehicle, many owners of those cars have been able to use our batteries and they would be a good source for specific information on fitment. In general, if you are using an Optima battery in a custom application, it is important to consider the following:

• Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood.
• Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
• Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using. Do not connect a winch to the side terminals.
• Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
• Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
• Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

These links provide the specific dimensions for our batteries and can give you an idea of what might fit best in your application-

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/specs.php
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/specs.php

If you’ve got other questions, let me know.

Jim McIlvaine

Get notified of new replies

To Optima D35 Yellow battery install

Quick Reply: [Z06] Optima D35 Yellow battery install