Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DIY Oil Change Jacking tools

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
0Jon @ Speed Inc
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Oil Change Jacking tools

(Disclaimer #1 : I don't work out of the Speed Inc shop currently. I'm about 2 hours away from the shop at my current location. If I was still out of the shop I'd just use the lifts there.)

(Disclaimer #2 : I do not trust a dealership to change the oil. Not one bit. I've heard too many stories of oil change techs forcing the cap off of the valve cover.)

This spring I'll need to change my oil. I need to lift the car up and keep it level without dropping a ton of money on a lift or a few super expensive jacks. I've read the threads where people list jack part #'s and setups, but some of those parts are out of date or no longer available.

I just received a northern tool catalog and there was a 3.5" high jack that looks like it will do the part to jack from the center of each of the subframes. $124.99 http://goo.gl/sLkh I'm not sure if this one is "long" enough. I have a feeling it isn't.

I know with the subframes you can't put all the weight right in the middle. I can't find a jack "t" bar in the catalog. I really think a 2x4 would work to disperse the weight. Then use a jack stand at each end of the 2x4, then go to the other side of the car and jack it up.

Any ideas on how to pull this off with one jack safely that doesn't cost $500? I know there is a commonly used on Amazon.com - you just have to catch it when they are offering free shipping.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just drive my Z up some 2x10 planks onto Rhino ramps.
EZ

CW
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 PM
0Jon @ Speed Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by clogan
I just drive my Z up some 2x10 planks onto Rhino ramps.
EZ

CW
I havn't looked into that (except for the pricey race ramps). The ground clearance is just so low I didn't think it'd work so well.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Others have done it and I followed their lead...

Jacking from the center is no problem. Here's my set-up...

You want to catch the frame where the seat supports connect to the frame rail. I cut strips of hard rubber to fit right in the area of the frame that I need to jack to have clearance from the rockers and not mark up anything. I also use hockey puck in the 4 corners.

Got the aluminum jack and stands from harbor freight for under $200 total.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jon @ Speed Inc
I havn't looked into that (except for the pricey race ramps). The ground clearance is just so low I didn't think it'd work so well.
They are pricey but "ultra" light weight and easy to store. I use them for quick oil changes.

Last edited by 3LZZ06; 02-17-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 AM
HP ADDICT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use the aluminum race jack from northern tool. Use one puck on the front left to raise the car and slide under the pan. Open the drain plug and lower it back down to drain level. Saves alot of time and money.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

+1 for Race Ramps. I bought a set, and they are awesome. I did a header install with them on my buddy's car.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Others have done it and I followed their lead...

Jacking from the center is no problem. Here's my set-up...

You want to catch the frame where the seat supports connect to the frame rail. I cut strips of hard rubber to fit right in the area of the frame that I need to jack to have clearance from the rockers and not mark up anything. I also use hockey puck in the 4 corners.

Got the aluminum jack and stands from harbor freight for under $200 total.

Scott, from this pic..you jacked the center of one side, put in the jack stands at the appropriate locations with pucks, and jacked the center of the other side repeating the same process??? I tried this, but was leary of putting the car on jack stands on one side while the car was at such a sideways angle...know what I mean? (And I didn't have an extra jack to go to the other side either, so it could catch up.)
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by American Psycho
Scott, from this pic..you jacked the center of one side, put in the jack stands at the appropriate locations with pucks, and jacked the center of the other side repeating the same process??? I tried this, but was leary of putting the car on jack stands on one side while the car was at such a sideways angle...know what I mean? (And I didn't have an extra jack to go to the other side either, so it could catch up.)
AP, the Jack stands remain stable on the first side with the hard rubber pucks sticking to the car like glue while jacking the second side. Make sure the jack is on a relatively smooth surface and is at a 90 from the car to allow it to roll slightly as it is being elevated, compensating for the "tilt" of the car. I've also raised the car higher on the jack stands incrementally using the same method from side to side being careful to go up only one notch per side on the jacks for safety's sake. Also be sure to lower the car in the same manner and you'll have no problem.

PS. Another important note would be the beginning height of you jack stands. Mine are relatively short, maybe 12" with the pucks. I'll check the exact height when I get home and post. Obviously if your jack stands are monsters...that would be bad for this application.

Last edited by 3LZZ06; 02-19-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

AP, the Jack stands remain stable on the first side with the hard rubber pucks sticking to the car like glue while jacking the second side. Make sure the jack is on a relatively smooth surface and is at a 90 from the car to allow it to roll slightly as it is being elevated, compensating for the "tilt" of the car. I've also raised the car higher on the jack stands incrementally using the same method from side to side being careful to go up only one notch per side on the jacks for safety's sake. Also be sure to lower the car in the same manner and you'll have no problem.

PS. Another important note would be the beginning height of you jack stands. Mine are relatively short, maybe 12" with the pucks. I'll check the exact height when I get home and post. Obviously if your jack stands are monsters...that would be bad for this application.
Thanks! I have jackstands that are the same height as yours. I need to pull my wheels and replace the rubber...I will try this method..if it fails...I will make you pay for it with all the money you have.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
1badassZ
Racer

My answer for DIY oil change jack points. $700.00

Please excuse the mess..

Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
0Jon @ Speed Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 1badassZ
My answer for DIY oil change jack points. $700.00

[/IMG]
Details?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by American Psycho
Thanks! I have jackstands that are the same height as yours. I need to pull my wheels and replace the rubber...I will try this method..if it fails...I will make you pay for it with all the money you have.
If it fails, just make sure you're not under it...

Be careful.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
1badassZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Jon @ Speed Inc
Details?
craigslist
Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

While I don't use this particualr brand, I use a motorcycle/ATV lift to put my car in the air to be able to place jack stands. The jack is pretty low profile and many support weights in excess of 1500 lbs. I place my jack under the front or rear cradles...with the dual contact points, all the weight/pressure is distributed over a wider area.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

3LZZ06's solution is mine as well. I jack center of the frame adjacent to where the seat brace ties in, for added strength. I have a 4"x4" 1x4 that I cut and wrapped with aluminum as a pad to protect the frame.

Jacked the car at least 100 times at home and at the track, and the frame is in fine shape.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Sethbaja23
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a follow up to this post...

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
3LZZ06's solution is mine as well. I jack center of the frame adjacent to where the seat brace ties in, for added strength. I have a 4"x4" 1x4 that I cut and wrapped with aluminum as a pad to protect the frame.

Jacked the car at least 100 times at home and at the track, and the frame is in fine shape.
Got the idea and the "how to" from you David...

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Oil Change Jacking tools

Quick Reply: [Z06] DIY Oil Change Jacking tools