Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 02-19-2015, 02:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake How-Tos
Print Wikipost

[Z06] DIY: Changing brake pads on stock calipers + Removing rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
C6-Z51-LS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drmrman
If it was defective pads then the problem would have moved to the inboard side of the caliper... Sounds AND looks like your guide pins are touching the rotor... I know you said that none of them are worn but to me it looks like something is missaligned whether it is debris behind the rotor or the caliper isnt mounted properly.

Also are those guide pins factory? I didnt know GM changed the design to standard style 6 point bolts.
It seems like all the feedback I am getting is pointing towards the guide pins... The pins are by RB EZ Bolts (Racing brake) they are engineered and designed specifically for the C6 Z06 Calipers. Many people here on the forum use them with no problems.... from what I have researched-
Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM
C6-Z51-LS2
Racer

Imagine having a GS Conversion just completed and NOT being able to drive it for a STUPID reason such as this problem!! Its killing me Anyway, here are some pics of the car a few days ago...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-Z51-LS2
K, I will check that out later today and report back. Would you happen to know or have a pic of how much clearance there should be from the end of the pin to the rotor's surface? thanks....
There doesn't seem to be a documented clearance spec. But I know on mine some look like they are touching and some have obvious clearance.

Are these stock GM rotors??

DH
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
C6-Z51-LS2
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
There doesn't seem to be a documented clearance spec. But I know on mine some look like they are touching and some have obvious clearance.

Are these stock GM rotors??

DH
Yup front + rear
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Yup front + rear
Are the hubs clean, where they face up to the back of the rotor?

Unless these were mounted wrong its 100% the pins !!!!!

Do you have the stock pins to put in ..... this will tell you a lot.......

DH
Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
C6-Z51-LS2
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Are the hubs clean, where they face up to the back of the rotor?

Unless these were mounted wrong its 100% the pins !!!!!

Do you have the stock pins to put in ..... this will tell you a lot.......

DH
hubs are clean.... dont have stock pins... wish I did and if I buy them, its one expensive way to test the problem lol- But if it comes to it and I dont have a choice, obviously I will.....
Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

It seems like all the feedback I am getting is pointing towards the guide pins... The pins are by RB EZ Bolts (Racing brake) they are engineered and designed specifically for the C6 Z06 Calipers. Many people here on the forum use them with no problems.... from what I have researched-
Never trust an aftermarket part... I would be sure to check there length. I would also be sure that the calipers are mounted properly again. Make sure the rotors mating surfaces are all clean AGAIN and see if maybe you are missing washers or some sort of spacers between the pins and the calipers... Its that small amount of space which can cause this... The clearance from the rotor to the face of those pins are EXTREMELY minute.

Cool car
Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude...look at the location of the pins and the deep cut into the rotor as they are an exact match, it appears that the culprit = pins...you may need to go to stock pins.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rpanesar

Dude...look at the location of the pins and the deep cut into the rotor as they are an exact match, it appears that the culprit = pins...you may need to go to stock pins.
what kind of pads and pins did you use?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
tjea
Instructor

I use a wood clamp to compress the cylinders back in place.
Great write up.
I did a search for wood clamp

http://www.bing.com/shopping/1hsj-si...amps&FORM=HURE
Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spearfisher
what kind of pads and pins did you use?

Some possibilities that came up were; The possibility that the Hawk pads are a defective batch? (Hard spots in the pads, etc...) So this is where we stand and I have no clue what to do...
RB EZ pins and hawk pads
Old 02-19-2011, 05:14 AM
C6-Z51-LS2
Racer

Originally Posted by drmrman
If it was defective pads then the problem would have moved to the inboard side of the caliper... Sounds AND looks like your guide pins are touching the rotor... I know you said that none of them are worn but to me it looks like something is missaligned whether it is debris behind the rotor or the caliper isnt mounted properly.

Also are those guide pins factory? I didnt know GM changed the design to standard style 6 point bolts.
they are aftermarket pins by Racing Brakes... I ended up putting about 70 miles on the car... just driving it, applying brakes.. bedding them.. the whole nine. I am happy to report that the screeching has stopped for the most part... I say that because occassionally when I make a FULL turn, you'll hear something scraping (that metal to metal sound) for 30 to 45 seconds and then it disappears again... So, I think with all the feedback and techs on the phone and physical/visual inspections, I have decided to just drive the car... put a few hundred miles on these new rotors and pads and monitor what happens... but we did find out: IT WAS DEFINITELY THE RACING BRAKE AFTERMARKET PINS THAT WERE MAKING CONTACT WITH THE ROTORS. We made sure everything was properly torqued, mounted, installed and we made sure that the area where the caliper bolts go through were not powdercoated and they werent. So, I now have to decide what to do regarding the whole formal complaint process with RB pertaining to the pins. Im just not the type of guy who likes pursuing these types of things.. they're prolonged and verry difficult to succeed in....
Old 02-19-2011, 07:46 AM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

they are aftermarket pins by Racing Brakes... I ended up putting about 70 miles on the car... just driving it, applying brakes.. bedding them.. the whole nine. I am happy to report that the screeching has stopped for the most part... I say that because occassionally when I make a FULL turn, you'll hear something scraping (that metal to metal sound) for 30 to 45 seconds and then it disappears again... So, I think with all the feedback and techs on the phone and physical/visual inspections, I have decided to just drive the car... put a few hundred miles on these new rotors and pads and monitor what happens... but we did find out: IT WAS DEFINITELY THE RACING BRAKE AFTERMARKET PINS THAT WERE MAKING CONTACT WITH THE ROTORS. We made sure everything was properly torqued, mounted, installed and we made sure that the area where the caliper bolts go through were not powdercoated and they werent. So, I now have to decide what to do regarding the whole formal complaint process with RB pertaining to the pins. Im just not the type of guy who likes pursuing these types of things.. they're prolonged and verry difficult to succeed in....
YGPM
Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

It would be an easy fix to grind .020" or so off each pin to insure clearance.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Good idea on compressing the caliper pistons using a ratcheting clamp with rubber jaws.....however, I did it with the new padlets in place. Since the clamp has rubber jaws, no damage to caliper or pads AND the little nubs on the padlet backing plates ensures that the pistons are not pushed in too far.

However, all was not well......any tips on getting the rear calipers off? I could do the front calipers after turning the wheels full lock so I can get a really big breaker bar (a "cheater" pipe made it easy) on those tight caliper bolts, but the rear calipers really limit the size and leverage. Any ideas here besides getting the car on lift and cranking away underneath it?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Bump for this weekend DIY on mine.

How DO you get the rear bolts off given the space?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by LowFlight
Bump for this weekend DIY on mine.

How DO you get the rear bolts off given the space?
Get the car as high as possible so you have room to work.

Easiest is to use an impact wrench. Also the bolt head size is 21mm not 13/16. Depending on how accurate the socket is you might find a 13/16 socket a little too tight to get on the bolt.

Another way is to use two open end wrenches linked together to give you more leverage.

I know one person who broke the bottom bolt loose by getting his breaker bar at just the right angle downwards followed by lowering the car until the weight of the car on the bar broke the bolt loose. Nothing like using gravity to do your work for you.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Changing brake pads on stock calipers + Removing rotors

Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ Vette Guy
[B]
2. Use one of the old pads to compress the calipers. A pair of channel lock pliers work great, as you don't need much pressure to compress them.... Only bring them down flush, don't over do it, you'll get brake fluid all over the place if you do.
I second that, I was able to do these with my bare hands. Only brake calipers I've ever compressed that way.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty

However, all was not well......any tips on getting the rear calipers off?
Both rear tires off, in neutral, lay under the car, spin rotor 1/4 smack, repeat until it comes loose. I dead blow hammer helps. It too about 5 complete turns (20+ hits) to get the rears off my 14k mile Z. Pretty decent workout.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a breaker bar with pipe over handle and my fat a$$ for leverage.

Quick Reply: [Z06] DIY: Changing brake pads on stock calipers + Removing rotors