Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Questions about owning a vett! First post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Questions about owning a vette/first post!

So this is my first post. I have been a loooonnnnggggg time lurker here. I really didn't even want to make an account, let along post until I actually OWNED a vette but that is kind of what my post is about. I am 22, I live in Tampa, FL (love it here), and I have been saving for a z06 for over a year now and plan to buy one early January. The plan the whole time has been to pay it off in one year after I purchase it. Financially speaking, as long as I find one in the low $40 range I should be a-ok. The problem is this: I don't know how to drive stick, I have never driven a car anywhere remotely close to the performance of a z06 (my DD is a '95 Bonneville...don't laugh), and I really don't know what to expect from the insurance company (my biggest concern, this is where money might...might be a problem). Can anyone weigh in who was in similar situation or who could give me some helpful advice about the problems listed and just how big a learning curve the Z06 will be given my inexperience? Just keep some things in mind: the C6 Z06 is my dream car, its not a matter of if I will overcome these issues, its a matter of how and when. You will see me posting pics in Jan...once I learn how to do that !

-Louis

EDIT 1: Wow so many great responses. I plan on absolutely learning stick before purchasing/driving the Z06. I just need a manual car to learn on. Might buy a beater as suggested, or ask around and see if some friends will let me learn on their cars. Not sure yet. As for insurance, I plan on shopping around this week to get the best deals and see what is out there. I have State Farm now, but I'm almost 100% sure I wont be staying with them >_> Well, off to work!! Ill be back on around 7pm. Keep the good advice coming!

EDIT 2: I am seeing that the general consensus so far is what I expected: the Z is an extremely capable car and it is better to learn and make my driving mistakes with a manual on a lesser car. That will happen soon in the coming days. As far as insurance goes, I'm thinking of insuring the Z06 as a recreational vehicle/pleasure car while keeping the Bonneville as my DD....Ive been told...never quoted..that it is much more affordable that way even though I'm under 25. Again, thank you all for the great advice. Ill keep this updated, especially come January!

EDIT 3: Called State Farm for insurance quotes: they want $233 a month for my '95 Bonneville and the Z06 as a recreational/weekend car. A short conversation with an agent at Geico got me a quote of $133 a month....for both!! I can easily afford the $233 so I think Ill be OK with insurance...very happy about that!

EDIT 4: Should have put this up here sooner, but CF member Zoomz has offered to let me drive his Z this coming weekend! I'll report back on how it goes!

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 10-18-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Lots of great advice.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a young Z06 owner also, but I don't have insurance issues because I'm a girl. I'm not a big help there because I pay $106 a month for the Corvette.. probably will go up a bit when I switch companies next month though. Anyway.... A Z is a lot of car, more than you can probably imagine at this point. I wouldn't recommend making it your first manual car or your first sports car. I owned a M6 GTO before the Z and I'm glad that I did. Owning a sports car is a different world... I will be subscribing to this, because I'm sure I have more advice just can't think about it right now.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 PM
427PWRD
Racer

Agreed. I too, am a young Z06 owner, and my 2 previous cars were an LS2 6spd manual GTO and an LS2 C6. I would recommend learning the basics of a standard transmission on another car first before graduating to a sports car with 505 rated hp.

As far as insurance goes, I'm at about $1,000/6 months with full coverage. I have a clean record, no tickets or accidents. Everybody is different, just have to call around and get some quotes
Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

OP, I would seriously recommend buying a GTO, even if it's an 04 (LS1) car. My 05 GTO showed me so many things about driving a real sports car regularly. It's so important to understand how to drive something that's low, powerful, manual and rear wheel drive. I owned a w-body at one point too, and I couldn't imagine going from that Grand Prix to a Z06 over night.

But seriously, a GTO is probably the easiest car I've ever driven. It was 100% a pleasure to own one and helped me so much with the Z06... more than I realized when I first sold it.. cause ya know, I thought I knew everything!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir
I'm a young Z06 owner also, but I don't have insurance issues because I'm a girl. I'm not a big help there because I pay $106 a month for the Corvette.. probably will go up a bit when I switch companies next month though. Anyway.... A Z is a lot of car, more than you can probably imagine at this point. I wouldn't recommend making it your first manual car or your first sports car. I owned a M6 GTO before the Z and I'm glad that I did. Owning a sports car is a different world... I will be subscribing to this, because I'm sure I have more advice just can't think about it right now.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking. It certainly is a lot of car. I plan to take things very slowly at first, I have even considered getting lessons and I have no plans to make it my DD. Gender aside, I am totally jealous of that insurance rate! I pay $130/month for my Bonneville.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM
427PWRD
Racer

OP, I would seriously recommend buying a GTO, even if it's an 04 (LS1) car. My 05 GTO showed me so many things about driving a real sports car regularly. It's so important to understand how to drive something that's low, powerful, manual and rear wheel drive.

But seriously, a GTO is probably the easiest car I've ever driven. It was 100% a pleasure to own one and helped me so much with the Z06
Old 10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 24, clean record, and was quoted $242/mo after I turn 25 on a Z06. Who are you guys with who is giving you insurance for peanuts? Is it some company like Progressive, or what?

I have owned a built 5.0, LS1 WS6 6-speed, and LT1 Auto T/A. I am glad for that experience for when I go do buy the Z, and I still bet it blows me away.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Bauker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't even go hunting for a z06 until you've mastered stick.
One: it's dangerous,
Two: you could ruin the clutch
Three: The combination of that much power and not knowing stick... plan on cracking up the car.

The learning curve on these cars is about as subtle as a baseball bat to the face. The power can be managed provided you have respect for the car, and know that it can kill you. Every now and then I find myself not paying attention, fiddling with the radio or what have you, and I accidentally light the tires up. It's real easy to do.

Go rent a car with stick for about a week. See how you do.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 PM
427PWRD
Racer

Originally Posted by BSSN
I'm 24, clean record, and was quoted $242/mo after I turn 25 on a Z06. Who are you guys with who is giving you insurance for peanuts? Is it some company like Progressive, or what?

I have owned a built 5.0, LS1 WS6 6-speed, and LT1 Auto T/A. I am glad for that experience for when I go do buy the Z, and I still bet it blows me away.
23/m, Allstate

When I turn 25, it will go down to $100/m. I have the good student discount, good driver discount, home ownership discount, and other small discounts like ABS, etc.

Last edited by 427PWRD; 10-13-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bauker
I personally wouldn't even go hunting for a z06 until you've mastered stick.
One: it's dangerous,
Two: you could ruin the clutch
Three: The combination of that much power and not knowing stick... plan on cracking up the car.

The learning curve on these cars is about as subtle as a baseball bat to the face. The power can be managed provided you have respect for the car, and know that it can kill you. Every now and then I find myself not paying attention, fiddling with the radio or what have you, and I accidentally light the tires up. It's real easy to do.

Go rent a car with stick for about a week. See how you do.
Wow such great advice! This is what I am going to do. At this point, I have no plans to buy another car, but I do need to learn stick quite thoroughly by the sound of things. I'll start renting cars now, and learn/master stick before I purchase the Z.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:58 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

I'm a female, currently with State Farm but dropped their asses here shortly because they keep screwing me over with my DD. I have good student, good driver, drivers ed, have a different primary vehicle ect.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Wow such great advice! This is what I am going to do. At this point, I have no plans to buy another car, but I do need to learn stick quite thoroughly by the sound of things. I'll start renting cars now, and learn/master stick before I purchase the Z.
I believe it is against the law, or maybe just against every companies policy, to rent a car with a manual transmission. You could just buy a beater F-body for 4k and less it in January for 4k.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

I believe it is against the law, or maybe just against every companies policy, to rent a car with a manual transmission. You could just buy a beater F-body for 4k and less it in January for 4k.
This could work as well. Google didn't show anything about it being against the law but they say that most companies don't rent manual transmission cars anymore.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Bauker
Racer

Not sure about now-a-days (jesus I'm old), 10 years ago my work rented me a f150 with a stick. That was how I learned how to drive stick. Must have saw that SES light a good 20-30 times.

Oh and I pay 125.00/mo (AZ is higher compared to most), but I'm old.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Z06 definitely is not an entry level sports car for someone who can't drive a manual. Go buy a beater rwd car like a 240sx to learn for a few months then think about a real performance car. Actually if you don't plan on driving this car like you stole it, a c6 would be a better bet for you. My 2 cents
Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bauker
Not sure about now-a-days (jesus I'm old), 10 years ago my work rented me a f150 with a stick. That was how I learned how to drive stick. Must have saw that SES light a good 20-30 times.

Oh and I pay 125.00/mo (AZ is higher compared to most), but I'm old.
Wow you look very old in that picture. Tell me how did you get those scars?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spoon man
Z06 definitely is not an entry level sports car for someone who can't drive a manual. Go buy a beater rwd car like a 240sx to learn for a few months then think about a real performance car. Actually if you don't plan on driving this car like you stole it, a c6 would be a better bet for you. My 2 cents
Nope. Only plan on getting a Z. But I now am very serious about learning to drive stick before I buy the Z.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about owning a vett! First post!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

I think you are making a huge mistake by not owning something before the Z. The Z can hang with supercars all day long, it's not just a Corvette. It's not just something to tinker with, it's a very serious sports car that can get you into a lot of trouble, or even killed if you're not careful and understand it. You drop the clutch and you'll be spinning all over the place, you don't shift in the right point same thing. It's not a beginners car at all.

And honestly, I don't think you will enjoy it if you don't own something first. You won't enjoy it because you'll never be able to use the power without crapping yourself, you'll never understand how to do all these things.. you'll be afraid to go into a parking lot because of scraping, you'll be afraid to take it to the drag strip, the road course, or even jut get on it going up and on ramp. The car is that scary. Learn how to drive stick and then go test drive one.. you'll understand more.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have too much time to post here but I disagree with most thus far.

My thoughts are:

1. The Z is buy far 1 of the easiest clutch releases I've driven in my life (forgiving), so that would benefit a beginner tremendously.

2. Don't floor it and it's a pretty tame car to drive.

3. Buy the Z, take it easy on back roads and the shifting will become second nature in no time.

4. Be VERY responsible.

5,6,7,8. DON'T FLOOR IT!!!!

Good luck with your search, take it slow and be safe...
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Bauker
Racer

I think you are making a huge mistake by not owning something before the Z. The Z can hang with supercars all day long, it's not just a Corvette. It's not just something to tinker with, it's a very serious sports car that can get you into a lot of trouble, or even killed if you're not careful and understand it. You drop the clutch and you'll be spinning all over the place, you don't shift in the right point same thing. It's not a beginners car at all.

And honestly, I don't think you will enjoy it if you don't own something first. You won't enjoy it because you'll never be able to use the power without crapping yourself, you'll never understand how to do all these things.. you'll be afraid to go into a parking lot because of scraping, you'll be afraid to take it to the drag strip, the road course, or even jut get on it going up and on ramp. The car is that scary. Learn how to drive stick and then go test drive one.. you'll understand more.
I don't think he can hear you. He has that look in his eyes... I've seen it before...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Questions about owning a vett! First post!