Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Wheel Hop ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
knockout_tx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hop ????

I have tried to find the threads on wheel hop, but I seem to be running in circles. If anyone has seen the thread that covers this area please let me know. It seems as thou there are two different types, real wheel hop and the shaking of the tranny or rear diff. I had a 03 Cobra with 625 RWH and I was able to get rid of the wheel hop, but I am not sure on my 09 Z06. If you know just drop the link please.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by knockout_tx
I have tried to find the threads on wheel hop, but I seem to be running in circles. If anyone has seen the thread that covers this area please let me know. It seems as thou there are two different types, real wheel hop and the shaking of the tranny or rear diff. I had a 03 Cobra with 625 RWH and I was able to get rid of the wheel hop, but I am not sure on my 09 Z06. If you know just drop the link please.
Here you go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...and-cures.html

And welcome to my world.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

here are a couple thread to read. Note that the solution is in the driving approach. It's unnecessary to mod the car. There is an abundance of owners who think it should be possible to hammer the throttle on a 505 HP car in any and all surface conditions and get nothing but straight, true acceleration. Meanwhile, those that learn the personality of the car never encounter the issue.

Preventing Breakage--Driver Errors to Avoid

Wheel Hop - Causes and Cures

Street Drills for Solving Wheel Hop

By far the easiest way to prevent wheel hop is by modding the driver, rather than the car.

The technique that works is to modulate the throttle in a manner that doesn't overwhelm available traction. Normally that means just easing the throttle slightly when you enter the ragged edge of traction. Do that on launch and shifts, and wheel hop will disappear. The trouble starts when the driver is simply too aggressive with the throttle. And it's worse on cold tires and/or a cold surface (<60 degrees F)

You also want to check your rear tire pressure. Assuming stock tires, suggest setting them to a max of 30 psi (cold).

Welcome to the forum.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 01-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
knockout_tx
Advanced

Thank you, I have some reading to do.

BTW I am not racing, just turning the corner entering traffic.....or hard excell on entrance ramp.

Last question.....Ranger are you from Houston???

Last edited by knockout_tx; 01-14-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I wish Ranger were in Houston because I could benefit greatly from his lectures.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM
knockout_tx
Advanced

Are you from here...Which part??? I live in the League City area.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...BTW I am not racing, just turning the corner entering traffic.....or hard excell on entrance ramp.
Then the driver-mod guidance in post-3 applies directly to you. Solution is in throttle discipline.

...Last question.....Ranger are you from Houston???
My whereabouts vary with the mission. HOR is in my profile.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 01-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you from here...Which part??? I live in the League City area.
Cypress.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
here are a couple thread to read. Note that the solution is in the driving approach. It's unnecessary to mod the car. There is an abundance of owners who think it should be possible to hammer the throttle on a 505 HP car in any and all surface conditions and get nothing but straight, true acceleration. Meanwhile, those that learn the personality of the car never encounter the issue.

Preventing Breakage--Driver Errors to Avoid

Wheel Hop - Causes and Cures

Street Drills for Solving Wheel Hop

By far the easiest way to prevent wheel hop is by modding the driver, rather than the car.

The technique that works is to modulate the throttle in a manner that doesn't overwhelm available traction. Normally that means just easing the throttle slightly when you enter the ragged edge of traction. Do that on launch and shifts, and wheel hop will disappear. The trouble starts when the driver is simply too aggressive with the throttle. And it's worse on cold tires and/or a cold surface (<60 degrees F)

You also want to check your rear tire pressure. Assuming stock tires, suggest setting them to a max of 30 psi (cold).

Welcome to the forum.

Ranger
Ranger, do you know if the ZR1 has wheel hop issues or did they actually eliminate it with the halfshaft fix?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by goatts
Ranger, do you know if the ZR1 has wheel hop issues or did they actually eliminate it with the halfshaft fix?
The steps GM took in dealing with wheel hop on the ZR1 diminished its occurrence but did not eliminate the issue. I have personally seen ZR1s hop when the driver is too aggressive with the throttle at the ragged edge of traction/slip/spin.

My view continues to be that wheel hop is a driver issue in high-powered cars.

Ranger
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Man O Man, how many times do we have to go through this? Ranger is right, wheel hop is driver controlled! Yes, you can add parts to control it but you can still get whel hop by the driver!

Jim
Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Painrace
Man O Man, how many times do we have to go through this? Ranger is right, wheel hop is driver controlled! Yes, you can add parts to control it but you can still get whel hop by the driver!

Jim
Exactly. We've both been writing that same post, sometimes in different sequence, since arrival on CF.

Easy to appreciate why new owners ask the wheel-hop question. But it's hard to understand why some enthusiasts here continue to advise spending a gob of $$$ to alter but not obviate the throttle-foot calibration learning curve.

Looking forward to seeing you at T-2011 or another event, Jim.

Ranger
Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
knockout_tx
Advanced

Did not mean to be the thorn in anyones side, just needed to see if there was another fix other than the one I used on my 03 Cobra. Thank you for your advice, and that of others.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Did not mean to be the thorn in anyones side, just needed to see if there was another fix other than the one I used on my 03 Cobra. Thank you for your advice, and that of others.
Always happy to help. Before spending $$$ to mod the car, it's wise to read amply, assisted by the search tool. Check too the profile page and threads-started of those whose advice initially seems attractive. Sometimes, there's a lot less expertise than first envisioned. That may save some money and aggravation. Like anywhere you've been assigned, half the battle is learning whose advice is worth listening to.

That just a general observation and not directed at anyone on this thread.

Ranger
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Exactly. We've both been writing that same post, sometimes in different sequence, since arrival on CF.

Easy to appreciate why new owners ask the wheel-hop question. But it's hard to understand why some enthusiasts here continue to advise spending a gob of $$$ to alter but not obviate the throttle-foot calibration learning curve.

Looking forward to seeing you at T-2011 or another event, Jim.

Ranger
It can't come soon enough for me. I am tired of this ice and snow in South Carolina.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Hop ????

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wheel Hop ????