Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 carbon nurburgring lap time

Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
carlsbad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 carbon nurburgring lap time

Is the Z06 carbon going to do a nurburgring lap time?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 AM
carlsbad
Pro

anybody?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you mean as an OEM test or someone taking their personal car there? I wouldn't hold your breath on GM doing any Nurburgring laps in it, quite a big expense to test a similar although slightly better version of the Z06 they already tested. Either way, I too would love to see what it does.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:20 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
Do you mean as an OEM test or someone taking their personal car there? I wouldn't hold your breath on GM doing any Nurburgring laps in it, quite a big expense to test a similar although slightly better version of the Z06 they already tested. Either way, I too would love to see what it does.
I'm sure GM is spending all their time, money and energy on the C7.

Tom
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I'm sure GM is spending all their time, money and energy on the C7.

Tom
the only car they will be working on at the ring will be the C7.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 592 Likes on 219 Posts

Its too bad. I think they would crush the 7:42 time. I know the 7:42 was for the full course, not what everyone else is running. they're running the short course and thats why the times are so different from the Z06 time. I want to see 7:2x
Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Its too bad. I think they would crush the 7:42 time. I know the 7:42 was for the full course, not what everyone else is running. they're running the short course and thats why the times are so different from the Z06 time. I want to see 7:2x
There is also the issue of standing start vs flying start as well...
Old 05-05-2011, 02:40 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

GM reported the carbon car was 3 seconds faster around VIR. I think they gave credit mostly to the Michy Sport Cups though. Still, 3 seconds is 1.5 football fields...

With a longer track (such as Nordschleiffe) the difference would be even more.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
GM reported the carbon car was 3 seconds faster around VIR. I think they gave credit mostly to the Michy Sport Cups though. Still, 3 seconds is 1.5 football fields...

With a longer track (such as Nordschleiffe) the difference would be even more.
Absolutely!

I had the pleasure of seeing the car at Autobahn this past weekend. It's gorgeous and yes, it's a performer.

Mike
Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlsbad
Is the Z06 carbon going to do a nurburgring lap time?
From GM's perspective it is pointless as the ZR1 would be faster than the carbon anyway, and the ZR1 already beat the target cars they intended with that test. As interesting as it would be, I would see from GM's perspective it would be pointless.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:43 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
From GM's perspective it is pointless as the ZR1 would be faster than the carbon anyway, and the ZR1 already beat the target cars they intended with that test. As interesting as it would be, I would see from GM's perspective it would be pointless.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Well GMs main idea was to keep things interesting with the Z06 line when they came out the carbon... Again, it's a parts bin car... Anyone can make a carbon out of their current Z.. I highly doubt GM spending any kind of money to test out a parts bin edition... Nevertheless it will be cool if they did..
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vray
There is also the issue of standing start vs flying start as well...
So all those quoted ring times are subject to different standards?

I know the people who go to the ring for fun do the flying start, but I figured the auto industry would do it to the same standard, crazy me for expecting uniformity for honest comparisons....

Last edited by Rock36; 05-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM
00transamnh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rock36
So all those quoted ring times are subject to different standards?

I know the people who go to the ring for fun do the flying start, but I figured the auto industry would do it to the same standard, crazy me for expecting uniformity for honest comparisons....
Misleading... maybe. Dishonest... Nope. They use the ring to test their vehicles. Whether or not you use the data to draw your own conclusions is completely up to you. And in that event it is completely up to you to know the conditions of the test.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
Misleading... maybe. Dishonest... Nope. They use the ring to test their vehicles. Whether or not you use the data to draw your own conclusions is completely up to you. And in that event it is completely up to you to know the conditions of the test.
Well clearly they use the ring to test their vehicles...

IMHO there is a fine line between misleading and dishonesty based on whatever intentions are involved; however, I have way no way of assesing intentions so I won't.

But, if it is left up to me to know or find the conditions of the test, and the information isn't readily available, or companies intentionally conceal or purposely omit the conditions of the test without stating them along with their "official" times, then I will be highly skeptical of any result and consider them meaningless as far as comparisons go.

Even if I did find or do know the conditions, unless two cars ran the same course with the same starting conditions (standing start/running start) it would be an apples to oranges comparison anyway and also meaningless and still not an honest comparison (maybe I should say fair comparison instead) of two times on the ring.

Not that it really matters, most people will never see the ring, nor could they even pull a sub 9:00 run in their cars so whatever.

Last edited by Rock36; 05-06-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing dishonest about a flying timed lap. That's been the industry standard since, I think, forever. GM were alone in doing this for their previous cars. I thought Magnussen said he did 2x2 laps, which to me sounds like 2 sets of 2 laps (each with a warmup), with a cooldown in between.
I'd say high 7:20s are within reach especially with the Cup tires.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read and heard DOZENS of times that the ZR1 time of 7:26 was acquired using a flying start, and the Z06's time of 7:4X whatever it was, was obtained using a standing start. If that's true, the Z06 carbon, combined with a flying start like the ZR1 used would probably show VERY close times

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 carbon nurburgring lap time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 carbon nurburgring lap time