Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally a TSP Z06 cam thread. Formatto tuned.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally a TSP Z06 cam thread. Formatto tuned.

After talking to the shop doing my cam install and Jon from TSP, I decided to go with TSP's LS7S cam. It was hard to deviate from the crowd and go with a cam I couldnt find alot of results on but I went for it. I've always heard good things about TSP and it makes me comfortable when a shop takes time out of their day to answer the stupid questions I have. Jon was very patient with me and didn't try to rush me off the phone.

My goals were to have a streetable cam that still produced results at the track. I only drive the car a couple thousand miles a year but still didn't want it to be surging/bucking while taking the girlfriend out. Supporting mods are Vararam and Kooks 1 7/8 with catted x.

Sound: The cabin is not as loud as I expected and the only noticeable drone is cruzing @ 65mph in 6th gear going up a hill. However, I have a vibration noise at idle that sounds like its coming from behind the passenger seat. It doesnt do it all the time but its annoying enough that I have to track it down before it drives me nuts. The sound outside the car is amazing. See video below.

Drivability: I have surging around 1500rpm as expected but obviously its easy to stay out of that range with a manual car. Even if I stay in the surge zone its not that bad. Pretty much feels like a small miss. The only time I would call it annoying is if you are creeping along at 10mph for a while. Overall, is it worth the loss of stock drivability? Absolutely!! Do I wish I went with a larger cam? No. This is about the perfect compromise of power and streetability for me. I am on worn out F1 runflats and 1st gear is useless if you stomp on it.

Power: Wow! The car runs great. I've owned sportbikes since I was 20 and never thought I would own a street car that would run like a R1 or GSXR1000. Well this car is right there with them.

Tuning: One issue of being from West Virginia is its hard to find a good tuner. My shop recomended having Formatto email tune it until he made a trip to PA so we can put it on a dyno. I know many people are afraid of email tunes and I was too. I called Formatto and he reassured me he could get me damn close to perfect via email. I still worried about him not being able to smooth out the surging. Well after getting it back I see the dude knows his sh$t. My shop told me if I don't make it to get it dyno tuned its not a big deal and they feel the car is where it should be.

Cam Specs: 242/250 .650"/.650" 114+3

Video clip (sorry its dirty but I was to busy driving it to wash it) ->>>> http://www.youtube.com/embed/DZCboBaSDPU

Last edited by D-Rod; 03-27-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

A big thanks to TSP and Jeremy Formatto for helping to build my monster!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:35 PM
spartanc6z06
Instructor

Congrats! those are nice cam specs. You are right on TSP being under rated in the Ls7 world i guess. You have not dyno'd it yet eh?
I cant see the video for some reason..
Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, video link not working...don't know if we can embed on this site. I want to see/hear it!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

I am putting it on the dyno on the 2nd. Stock the car only put down 425 on a mustang dyno. As long as I trap over 130mph I'm happy. The air here in the mountains isnt great but I want a 10 sec timeslip in the worst way. I'm a rookie driver so we will see.

I searched and searched for info on TSP's cams for the Z06 and couldn't find much of anything. I don't have anything to compare this cam to because I haven't driven any other cammed Z06's, but this cam has the perfect power, drivability, and sound for what I was looking for.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Try the link now.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 AM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds great! Keep us posted on what it puts down on the dyno as well as your continued driving impressions...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

I guess I should share some of my experiences in the two days I have had it back.

20 min after I picked the car up I get pulled over for 66 in a 40. To top it off it was a construction zone. To make it even worse I have all the lights tinted on my car and 10% on the windows. I am waiting for the trooper to throw the book at me. He comes back and lets me know he isn't going to get me for being in a construction zone and he knocked it down to a "Regulation of traffic" ticket. So no points and only a $110 fine. I could have kissed that SOB.

Today I go through the drive-thru at Arbys and the lady ask me to shut my car off. So I order and pull up. Then the guy behind me yells at me and asks me to shut my car off. lol

I started the car in the garage and my girlfreind comes down and says "David, I can feel the house shake in the bathroom" (she was on the 3rd floor). I instantly start smiling and she asks why that makes me so happy?

Honestly its not that loud, its just the lope that shakes everything around. BTW, I have the fuse pulled but I think the exhaust mod is next.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 AM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got the TSP LS7R cam in my Z. It definitely has a nice lope and pulls like a freight train. Prior owner dynograph showed 590 rwhp. i'm planning on converting to E85 next month or two and re-dynoing it. Sounds good with the muffler mod and LTs, but i think i want to get some B&B bullets as the modified stock mufflers are starting to sound tame to me.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phxcobra
I've got the TSP LS7R cam in my Z. It definitely has a nice lope and pulls like a freight train. Prior owner dynograph showed 590 rwhp. i'm planning on converting to E85 next month or two and re-dynoing it. Sounds good with the muffler mod and LTs, but i think i want to get some B&B bullets as the modified stock mufflers are starting to sound tame to me.
I would love to get bullets too. I had them on my last car and loved them but not sure I am ready to spend anymore $ on this car.

How much surging to you get with the LS7R?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

As an experiment, you could put the stock air breather/filter element back on and see if that improves the surging problem. Aftermarket air breathers are known to cause surging on stock LS3/LS7 engines so, to me, it might also cause problems on modified LS3/LS7's.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
I would love to get bullets too. I had them on my last car and loved them but not sure I am ready to spend anymore $ on this car.

How much surging to you get with the LS7R?
Before replacing my O2 sensors (had some leaded gas foul one) I'd get surging below 2000rpm at really any speed, especially if I tried to use 6th gear on the freeway. Now with the new Denso O2s I can cruise in 6th at 1500 rpm with hardly any surging. I'll still get some cursing round the parking lot but its too be expected with the size if the cam.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM
0Jon@Texas-Speed
Former Vendor

Glad to hear you're happy with the cam. Let me know if you can't get the surge down and I'll see what we can come up with. That cam should drive extremely well with VERY little cam surge if any at all.

I appreciate the business and let me know if we can help with anything else!

Jon
Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

I had the car dyno'ed last week. It put down 515RWHP vs the 425 it had stock. So a 90hp gain was well worth the $. I will have to find the paper and see what the TQ was before but after was 461.

http://youtu.be/w3l-n2jeevs
Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM
o8z06
3rd Gear

Hey D, I met you when you picked the car up. But I forgot your forum name till I saw this post. Hows the car running? He's been trying to get me to cam my car but I got a lot of old neighbors lol. Weird you got pulled over, I was telling Sam how your car would be nothing but trouble around this area all tinted out like that. Least you got off easy. Anyway, put down some nice #'s and sounds like it's strong! Congrats.

Ed

Last edited by o8z06; 04-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Hey Ed, you wont regret if you cam it. I should have taken you for a ride while you were there. My neighbors arnt very thrilled with me but I have the fuse pulled. I think if you keep the fuse in it will be fine.
I got really lucky that I didnt get points or a ticket for having the windows and lights tinted.

BTW- Im going to PRP next saturday if you want to go.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
GeorgeSSS
Racer

Every time you start the engine, TSP should charge you a royalty for the first 5 seconds of that fantastic engine sound. Sounds to me a little like a fuelie. Too much fun. Enjoy every second. You only live once.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally a TSP Z06 cam thread. Formatto tuned.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
SHovV
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds killer man
Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

something is wrong here. it shouldnt surge up to that RPM! I have seen cars with slightly bigger cams and surge up to 1200-1300. I know every car/mods is different, and i have no experience with cams/tuning, but i still think it shouldnt surge up to 1500! hopefully Formatto or TSP can help here. maybe because of it being an email tune?

anyway your car sounds good. congrats
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 AM
o8z06
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by D-Rod
Hey Ed, you wont regret if you cam it. I should have taken you for a ride while you were there. My neighbors arnt very thrilled with me but I have the fuse pulled. I think if you keep the fuse in it will be fine.
I got really lucky that I didnt get points or a ticket for having the windows and lights tinted.

BTW- Im going to PRP next saturday if you want to go.
Awesome, I'd like to head up there and watch you run the Z. Mines going in the shop this week for minor work, so if I have the car I'll bring it up. From experiences with other cars, I bet yours will be right where you want it after its tuned personally on a dyno or on the street. I did keep my stock exhaust, but I have a Corsa on it now. Love the sound but think with Kooks headers and catted x and cam, itll be a little over the top. If the Corsa didn't cost too much $ I'd switch back to the stock exhaust and do the mild to wild switch lol. Let me know on PRP.

Ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally a TSP Z06 cam thread. Formatto tuned.