Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] tranny/axel nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default tranny/axel nuts

So....I just got my Z back from the dealer due to 5th gear syncro that had a grinding issue......They were pretty cool and allowed me to visually check up on it as needed..I also tried not to be one of those retentive guys...probably was, but at least I was polite about it...
I was pretty shocked at all the work that had to be performed... the entire rear end components had to be removed to get to the tranny.....I mean like "everything".
Long story short.... 5th gear replaced...as were some other bearings etc. in the other gears...(while they had it out). (This was a warranty item for me thankfully)....
Point I am trying to make...(and this issue has certainly been beaten to death)...is that my axel nuts were loose, once again. I had done the loctite and torque method previously....but they were loose anyway....(thought I did it correctly and was told Loctite needs 24hrs to cure....couldn't hurt so I did it.)
A lot of us have heard the dreaded "popping from the rear"...so use the Ranger method and routinely check the axel nuts and sway bar end links....This will at least keep the noise quiet.
My 08 Z has 20,000 miles now...and never tracked, but driven.....well you know...
Torque numbers have been all over the place...but the tech did 150 lbs...axel nuts...(any info contrary to this would be appreciated)
..they also put in new diff oil....I had the purple stuff, which was fine....so we shall see if GM has corrected that problem.., anyway the tranny is better than ever and shifting much smoother.....Thanks to O'rielly Chevy in Tucson
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Anybody got a pic of the axel bolts?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I tightend mine and a few days later it started popping again.

I am going to order new axle nuts, grease the axle splines and re install new nuts with blue Loctite
Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
z10
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2006 has 18k miles of street duty only. I checked axle nuts this afternoon and they were not to spec. Torqued to 150. The car is quiter now.

Was checking my end links, and found the left side upper bracket was about to fall out! Tightened everything up and the clicking popping noise is virtually gone. Yea! We'll see how long this lasts.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove and discard the wheel drive shaft nut. Install new nuts, P/N 10257766
Apply LOCTITE™ 272, or equivalent, to the threads of the axle shaft.
Install the nut and tighten to the new specification.
Tighten the nut to 215 N·m (160 lb ft).

Install the center cap to the rim.
IMPORTANT: The vehicle should not be driven for 24 hours

I've done this, and have not had anymore problems.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

I'm going to ask a dumb question. Do I need to remove the wheel to expose the axel nut?
Is there a jack in the car? if not, how do I lift the MF?
I have GMPP. Maybe I just take it in? I don't know if our local Chevy dealer will F it up.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
I'm going to ask a dumb question. Do I need to remove the wheel to expose the axel nut?
Is there a jack in the car? if not, how do I lift the MF?
I have GMPP. Maybe I just take it in? I don't know if our local Chevy dealer will F it up.
No, you do not need to remove the wheel. Just snap off the center cap to access the nut. But, you will need a 33mm socket, and some take a 34mm.

I would suggest that you call your local dealer. There is a technical bulletin on this problem. They will install new parts, no cost to you.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Anybody got a pic of the axel bolts?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Thanks dudes. I found out that my local Chevy dealer is highly recommended for Corvette. I knew they sold quite a few.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I called back the Chevy Dealer here...axel nuts were torqued to 160 lbs...locktite...left stationary for 24 hours...new bolts.....anyway a warranty item and so far so good....

Get notified of new replies

To tranny/axel nuts

Quick Reply: [Z06] tranny/axel nuts