Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] z06 blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:08 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Come on, give the lecturing a rest already to the OP, this is RIDICULOUS, he can live his life however he chooses to live it, who are you to judge him regarding his money management!
Maybe I should forward you this guys threatening PM he sent me?

Unless you want to be the referee?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:50 AM
bwbrown1967
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interested call me 817-727-2105

[QUOTE=z0sicktanner;1577707792]i just got an 06 z06 6 months ago from carmaxx car had 25,678 when i got it.me and my wife took a trip to ohio and never made it there....500 miles into the trip the motor makes a flutter then nothing locked up....tow truck gets there puts the car on as soon as the car was going up on the flatbed oil was pooring from under the car...i put 6k miles on this car.....got it to the dealer and broke valve spring dropped the valve down in the block....there was a hole in the block the size off a siver dollar...i have been looking at this forum and had to make an account to let ppl know about this....car is stock im 38 and never had it at the track or anything like that....there must be a defect in these vaule trains....my buddy had the same issue on his 07 2 years ago.....ppl need to watch this because there was no sign of any problems...car ran great till this happend.....im so pissed and cant even begin to tell you how upset iam over this...i just hope its covered.. i dont know how many motors have let go like this but i can tell you this there are ppl like me that watch this sight and are not members...the problems seems wide spread[/QUOTEvery
Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

[QUOTE=bwbrown1967;1593790300]
Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
i just got an 06 z06 6 months ago from carmaxx car had 25,678 when i got it.me and my wife took a trip to ohio and never made it there....500 miles into the trip the motor makes a flutter then nothing locked up....tow truck gets there puts the car on as soon as the car was going up on the flatbed oil was pooring from under the car...i put 6k miles on this car.....got it to the dealer and broke valve spring dropped the valve down in the block....there was a hole in the block the size off a siver dollar...i have been looking at this forum and had to make an account to let ppl know about this....car is stock im 38 and never had it at the track or anything like that....there must be a defect in these vaule trains....my buddy had the same issue on his 07 2 years ago.....ppl need to watch this because there was no sign of any problems...car ran great till this happend.....im so pissed and cant even begin to tell you how upset iam over this...i just hope its covered.. i dont know how many motors have let go like this but i can tell you this there are ppl like me that watch this sight and are not members...the problems seems wide spread[/QUOTEvery
Sorry to hear about your dropped valve, that's the worst case scenario. Now that you have actually suffered a loss, look at that class action suit against GM, it's on pause right now and may never manifest any further, but GM knows their supplier had issues and quite frankly, needs to step up on all LS7's and get them fixed. I can't tell you much that irritates me at the thought of a beautiful C6 Z06 on the side of the road needing a tow - Chevrolet should be ashamed and Linamar out to be blacklisted. Also, look at filing a NHTSA complaint; fortunately your wife was safe, but dropping a valve while driving is as much of a safety issue as anything else and it needs to be reported. GM knows what is going on, and they are choosing to remain quiet and act stupid.

The valve drop issue is much better widely understood now than it was even five years ago, and the solution is relatively accessible - just have to make sure the cylinder heads are rebuilt by someone who understands them. I need to see where my taxes come in first, but I'm otherwise planning on having my heads done by AHP out in California. I'm contemplating R/R'ing the heads myself in my garage, but I have also found a great shop nearby that would only charge 6 hours labor total (R&R) for the procedure.

The LS7 motor is why I own my Z06 as I do, for me it's the holy grail in Corvette motors. Not interested in a C7 GS with an LT1. It's the pinnacle of the naturally aspirated LS engines, and once the heads are properly worked, I believe it is as solid a motor as any other LS engine. Remember that the LS7 cam is a high lift cam right out of the box, and be careful playing with the valvetrain geometry, and you should be fine.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 AM
stew1100
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for your lose. I hope your insurance covers a new engine.

there are a lot of opinions about this issue.

Read the sticky thread "File Complaint -- Valve Guide Issue at the top

and make up your own mind.

I had my 07 heads replaced at 18,000 miles after I took off a valve

spring and was not happy with the amount of play in #2 exhaust valve.

When the guys at Vengeance racing inspected the heads they said

did not know why two of the exhaust valves had not fallen already.

With the number of these cars that are sitting in garages and not

being driven, there is no way to know how wide spread the problem is.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Piston_Head
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Ancient thread alert. Just some new guy bringing up a thread from years ago.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston_Head
Ancient thread alert. Just some new guy bringing up a thread from years ago.
6 years is quite a dig but then again we have seen older threads be revived.

BigVette427: give us a call 310-326-2399
or shoot us an email HP@americanheritageperformance.com when your ready to go and we will get you squared away.
Our Moldstar90 valve guides are proving to be an amazing valve guide.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 01-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

This thread is when news of dropped valves started showing up on the forum. My engine dropped a valve about 2 months after the last 2011 post in the thread and by then there was a lot of discussion about what was happening and why. From that time until late 2012 there seemed to be a surge of failed engines. After that (2013) we got into the current scenario where everybody is running around fixing valve guides before an engine failure happens.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Come on, give the lecturing a rest already to the OP, this is RIDICULOUS, he can live his life however he chooses to live it, who are you to judge him regarding his money management!
I agree with you 100 percent. Maybe the guy can just get what he wants. WOW
Old 01-09-2017, 03:46 PM
2fastz06
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Out of literally hundreds of Z06's we work on yearly, the ONLY engine that we've ever replaced was out of an '08. One engine out of hundreds of customers, stock and modded, that's it. The sky is not falling and there is not a major issue. I know how you feel (I personally just shelled out a ton of cash for a Katech LS7 when our engine blew last fall) but the number of failures is insanely small, especially on stock engines.
After reading this thread all I can say is WOW! This is the head porter on ls1 tech.

After reading some of these posts looks like they banned the wrong member.

This guy has helped a lot of people out over their. Don't think hes ever been banned there. Interesting.

Last edited by 2fastz06; 01-09-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] z06 blown motor