Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam Help

Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 AM
hass121
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam Help

Hi,

I purchased a cam from a very well known vendor on this forum, had it installed, the list of mods is below:

American Racing Headers with no cats
Killer Bee 2
Cam
Springs
New GM Rockers

I have 2 problems.

1) When starting the car, i have to give a pump of the gas pedal or the car doesnt catch, it seems to want to start but it doesnt until i press the gas a few times, then starts. Even then, sometimes it starts and then stalls out, to keep it going i have to press the gas pedal. Once the car is on, its ok after this and it doesnt happen. But as soon as i turn it off, same problem. Ive tried reloading the stock GM tune but the car still does the same thing

2) There is a REALLY strong fuel smell. I know many will say this is due to the tune, but ive checked on HP tuners and leaned it out so much that the "Check Engine" light has come on... The fuel smell is so strong that i have to set the Air conditioning to re-circulate the air and close the windows.

What do i do?!? Please help.......
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me that the tune is way off and trying to use the stock tune with he cam isn't going to work either. Do you have cats my guess is that their is a ton of fuel sitting in them.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock GM tune will be no where near where the tune needs to be for the cam package and Killer Bee intake. The check engine light may also be likely due to the new location of your O2 sensors on the hearders. You didn't mention any DTC codes that you may be seeing. You should be able to get a email tune from one of the forum tuners for your cam package that will get you very close to where you need to be, then take it for a dyno tune to iron out any tune imperfections.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 AM
the_teapot
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Running no cats equates to heavy exhaust/fuel smell. It's a big difference in smell going from the factory exhaust system to LT headers without cats. As far as the starting/stalling issue, a huge component of a cam upgrade is the dyno and street tune. Tough to do, even for an experienced tuner. Good luck getting your ride to where you want it. If it was me, I'd look into using one of the tuners from the forum (I had a great experience with Ragin Racin in Scott, LA) and if the exhaust odor is too bothersome, maybe look into adding some high flow cats.

Last edited by the_teapot; 06-19-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Get you car tuned properly before you end up hurting something.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:19 PM
hass121
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestions guys. With regards to the cam and tune, it was done by one of the most respectable vendors/tuners on this site who has done hundreds of similar upgrades. Even he was baffled!

We used HP Tuners live so he could see what was going on and everything seemed to be fine. At the moment my 02 sensors are disconnected, should this be a problem? As my car has no cats...

The smell of fuel is so bad that when i get out of the car, my clothes smell of it, car seems to be running strong but im running out of ideas..

I was thinking it may be a vacuum leak somewhere but ive looked under the hood and cant seem to find one anywhere. Cam is medium/aggressive
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you checked for a fuel leak? Maybe when the cam was done something didn't go together quite right. The tuner/installer should be able to figure this out for you.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

What are the cam specks? I am guessing that there is a large overlap.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
heavyhitter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up your log file from a cold start.

O2s have no affect on cold starts unless there is a learned fuel correction like postive ltrms
Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
0MR Z
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hass121
Hi,

I purchased a cam from a very well known vendor on this forum, had it installed, the list of mods is below:

American Racing Headers with no cats
Killer Bee 2
Cam
Springs
New GM Rockers

I have 2 problems.

1) When starting the car, i have to give a pump of the gas pedal or the car doesnt catch, it seems to want to start but it doesnt until i press the gas a few times, then starts. Even then, sometimes it starts and then stalls out, to keep it going i have to press the gas pedal. Once the car is on, its ok after this and it doesnt happen. But as soon as i turn it off, same problem. Ive tried reloading the stock GM tune but the car still does the same thing

2) There is a REALLY strong fuel smell. I know many will say this is due to the tune, but ive checked on HP tuners and leaned it out so much that the "Check Engine" light has come on... The fuel smell is so strong that i have to set the Air conditioning to re-circulate the air and close the windows.

What do i do?!? Please help.......
Both sound like tuning issues. We can get large cams to startup with no issues. Definately need to work on a few tables. As for the fuel smell, you can minimize it, but most of the smell comes from a larger camshaft having more overlap and therefor more unburned fuel coming through the exhaust. If you need any tuning pointer give me a call.

Shawn
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes have a new set of tuner eyes look a the tune can find what was missed by the first tuner. Happens to the best of them.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 PM
hass121
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MR Z
Both sound like tuning issues. We can get large cams to startup with no issues. Definately need to work on a few tables. As for the fuel smell, you can minimize it, but most of the smell comes from a larger camshaft having more overlap and therefor more unburned fuel coming through the exhaust. If you need any tuning pointer give me a call.

Shawn
Thanks for the reply, the tuning wasnt done by myself but by someone very well respected on this forum, we went back and forth and he sent me about 10 different tunes.... Although we are all human and we make mistakes by our nature so perhaps it is a tuning thing...

I would normally just pop into a shop and get it looked at, but im in the UK and these things are rarer than Enzos out here...

But on the bright side ive raced a heavily modified E55 AMG, a Brabus K8 with 680bhp, heavily modified evos and beat them all. Im chasing the GT2 now...
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you email me your scan, tune and detailed list of mod so I can see what's going on?

Last edited by Mez; 06-19-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
hass121
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mez
Can you email me your scan, tune and detailed list of mod so I can see what's going on?
Hey Mez, sent you a PM

Guys is it safe to be sending out tunes from your car on email etc? Please advise as im new to this! Regards
Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What are the cam specs? It should be easy to see if the cam is out of the ordinary.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Hey Mez, sent you a PM

Guys is it safe to be sending out tunes from your car on email etc? Please advise as im new to this! Regards
Yes, its safe.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Hopefully you'll get a good, safe tune in it soon. I wouldn't recommend driving it until you do.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Help

Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with the vacuum leak theory. Make sure all the injectors are completely seated. Also double check all the fuel rails and fittings as well as the power brake booster vacuum hose are sealing.

Don't try to adjust the tune to get rid of the fumes. Adjust the tune to achieve the correct air/fuel mixture with an independent O2 sensor.

Hope you get it!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:56 AM
0MR Z
Former Vendor

Hey Mez, sent you a PM

There are many that do this. You can also read up on Hptuners or efilive forums. There are plenty of guys there willing to help. Usually a good datalog with the tune will help. If you would like me to take a look you can email me at raginracin@gmail.com

Shawn
Old 06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Any updates on the issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam Help