Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 3M bra pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM
rapidroy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M bra pros and cons

I am thinking about getting a half bra on the front of my 2008 Victory Red Z06. Would appreciate some feedback from owners who have clear bras:

Any regrets in getting the bra due to the line that you can see?

Is the line more visible depending on the color of the car - for example, is it more pronounced with red or black compared to silver or white?

Any other feedback???

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It has saved my paint several times. You can barely tell its there. I have front end, rockers and wheel areas covered. Most people don't see the line's they are barely visible on my car.I Love it, no regrets...car is 2008 so I don't know how long I can leave it on before I should replace it. Anyone know?

Last edited by Magneson; 08-14-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:18 PM
morganjo5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had it installed professionally on two cars. Never again. You will get a stone chip or mark that goes through the film. When that happens, the touch up looks crappy. If you leave the chip without doing anything, it is very much more noticeable than just on paint. At least with Dr. Chip on just paint, no film - you can make it almost invisible. I have no connection with Dr. Chip.

Bruce in Arizona
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Pros= Everything, Mine's been on for 4 years. Saved the paint on numerous occasions
Shows more on dark colors
Cons= The install is everything

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 08-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
gintama
Instructor

Pros:
1. Why cover up a beautiful car with an ugly black plastic bra?
2. Great at preventing damage caused by track debris. All my buddies use them.
3. Film can be removed any time you want to replace it.
Con:
1. Cost

As stated before, the installer is everything. A good installer will use one piece on the entire front bumper with a separation at where GM makes them. For example, you will never notice since the bumper and hood have a natural separation point.

Also, there are various films. One of my buddies with a white paint job had his done and it turned yellow after 3 years with one company's film. He had it redone with 3M and has had no problems.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

installer is everything. find a good one, and check out their work before you hand them the car.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

i'm thinking of it too.......my buddy is a long time employee of a local GM dealer and he calls in the same guy for all the clear bras.........guy is amazing apparently. Just finished a yellow Z.......buddy tells me it came out perfect. Cost $400............I'm thinking about it too.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Pros: Protects paint in all vulnerable areas with all our crappy roads

Cons: When waxing, stay away from the edge of the film or it will get a build up of white along the edge........may not be an issue if you dont wax a couple of times a month like me.....
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Magneson
...It has saved my paint several times. You can barely tell its there. I have front end, rockers and wheel areas covered. Most people don't see the line's they are barely visible on my car.I Love it, no regrets...

same here; and the installer is key...
Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 PM
pro-tect mobile
Advanced

Originally Posted by morganjo5
I have had it installed professionally on two cars. Never again. You will get a stone chip or mark that goes through the film. When that happens, the touch up looks crappy. If you leave the chip without doing anything, it is very much more noticeable than just on paint. At least with Dr. Chip on just paint, no film - you can make it almost invisible. I have no connection with Dr. Chip.

Bruce in Arizona
I am very interested in knowing what type of film you had installed. true paint protection film will stop any stone (tested 1/4" stones up to 140mph) from reaching the paint. So unless you are driving 200mph or you got into some very large stones there should be no way that it got through the film. It is quiet possible you got sold clear vinyl... I have seen that happen before. And vinyl does not protect paint.

By the way, 136,000 miles here on my vehicle and not one stone chip on it. And I have driven through Arizona numerous times... from California all the way to New York.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM
pro-tect mobile
Advanced

Originally Posted by Magneson

It has saved my paint several times. You can barely tell its there. I have front end, rockers and wheel areas covered. Most people don't see the line's they are barely visible on my car.I Love it, no regrets...car is 2008 so I don't know how long I can leave it on before I should replace it. Anyone know?
As long as you are maintaining the film and it still looks good there is no need to replace it. Film will last a long time if taken care of. It doesnt have a time when it gets old and needs to be replaced unless it is damaged. I have seen film that was installed on a car after 7 years of sitting outside and it looked brand new. All that was used to maintain it was Zaino.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid over a grand for mine and I would do it again, in fact it's time to rep ace the front hood piece. But it's better than repainting
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM
dagartdan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my hood, fenders, and nose wrapped and completely covered (no lines) and I treat it with Zanio. Its almost impossible to detect. Covering my front end was money well spent! Sure it's costly but if you want perfection, you have to pay! Hey, try getting a paint shop to repaint your nose and match your paint perfectly! Good luck with that! Then take a drive down the road and have a stone kick up and ding your nose before the paint cures! With cyber gray, even the smallest road ding jumps out at you and looks like dog crap! I've seen plenty of CG vettes with road rash and its not pretty! If you can swing it, just have your paint protection installed by someone with a great reputation! Here in MA, look up Rick Nelson, Unique Car Care from Wakefield, Ma. Rick is also one of the best car detailer in the business.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Craig3Q
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a clear bra installed on the front fascia only. Had it replaced after 2 years because of wear and tear on the film (some dark spots from grease or rubber from track days wouldn't clean up after a while). By putting it only on the fascia, you can barely tell it's there (although you can see the line at the edge of the fascia if you look close enough). I wouldn't want it anywhere else. I figure if I get too many dings on the paint elsewhere, I'll get it sprayed if it bothers me enough.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by morganjo5

Bruce in Arizona
Had the 3m bra installed on my 08 for over 3 years. No stone marks on the bra or paint chips through the bra. I have driven on mountain roads on the way to Tahoe many times and have been hit by rocks and pebbles on many occasions. What in the world did your installer use?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,063 Posts

See this thread for my feedback:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tive-film.html

Bottom line, the film works. Cons are that it will take a beating and look like hell over time, but I'd rather have the film take the beating than the paint. The pictures I posted say it all.

Now I am running Nano Fusion that should hold up better than the 3M. 3M is softer and will nick and gouge easier than the Nano from what I understand. We shall see.

Cons: Cost is high and quality is very much dependent on the installer, and the 3M film will start to look nasty the more hits it absorbs - supposedly a heat gun will fix it, although I never tried it.
Pros: Still much cheaper than a paint job and no worries about paint matching especially on metallic cars

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 08-16-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 AM
brahmabull1126
Instructor

OP, since your from Cali, why dont you give these guys a call..the way they install the clear bra, they just dont stop on the edge, they wrap the bumper, or whatever you want covered all the way thru..check out the site..

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/

Get notified of new replies

To 3M bra pros and cons

Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 AM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a rock through the film in the first month . The first poster is correct when this happens it does not look good.it needs to be removed the chip repaired, and the film replaced.I filled the chip ,not very well an have left it. I have had it since new in 2007 , it still looks brand new everywhere else. No other rock chips, discoloration, bubbles or separation at all -complete protection. I used painters tape when waxing on the hood to prevent the "white line" turtle wax black box however does not leave a white line nor does "ice". I use aerospace 303 occasionally for shine and ultraviolate protection.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Just had the clear bra(3M) put on my CG Z. from the front & sides you can hardly tell its there.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM
rapidroy
Instructor

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I've got what I believe is a pretty good local referral and plan to get it installed next week.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 3M bra pros and cons