Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Rental Z crashed at Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:11 AM
hoefi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rental Z crashed at Nurburgring

http://jalopnik.com/5845899/rented-c...130k-in-damage
Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can people just rent cars off-site then run the Ring at their own risk? Sure hope not because I would assume you have no track insurance at that point.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Can people just rent cars off-site then run the Ring at their own risk? Sure hope not because I would assume you have no track insurance at that point.
Running the ring is like parking in a parking lot downtown (actually, I guess a toll road is a better analogy after reading the below links you'll see why). You pull up to what is essentially a toll booth, pay your money and hit the track. It could be a little more involved than that, but I don't think very much.

This has some basic information that is pretty good...

http://heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

http://nurburgring.org.uk/beginners.php

Last edited by jschindler; 10-03-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 AM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I would imagine that guy has some explaining to do to the rental company....
Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch!

Hope all those in hospital get well soon.

An eight-car crash on the Nürburgring Nordschleife earlier today sent one driver to the hospital with serious injuries, claimed a rented Corvette Z06 and put one of the new BMW M3 "ring taxis" out of commission. It also caused more than $130,000 in property damage.
According to police, the accident occurred at around 2:00 pm local time on the circuit's tricky Bergwerk ("mine") section as three cars were slowing for a construction zone. A fourth driver, from the UK, stood on the brakes but couldn't prevent a collision with one of the vehicles ahead. He subsequently slid onto the grass and then back onto the track some fifty meters (164ft) ahead. It was there where he crashed into the other two vehicles.
Three other drivers saw the crash and slowed their cars. An eighth car, the ring taxi, crashed into one of the slowing cars, hit another car and came to a stop at the left of the track.
Police say the drivers were from several European countries. A sticker on the Corvette, apparently listing Swedish luxury rental agency Platinum Cars, suggests its rental status. The accident occurred near the site of Niki Lauda's fiery crash during the 1976 German Grand Prix.
One driver was taken to a hospital in Koblenz with serious injuries. Two other drivers were treated on the scene. All of the cars except one were substantially damaged and were not drivable. Police are still investigating, but cite "excessive speed" as the cause.
WRT the text I highlighted: Ya think?!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

That sucks.

I'd have to run slicks at the Ring cus I dont like hauling on road tires
Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Why you hope not ? This is motorheads freedom, anything goes.... there are just a few simple rules

1. Dont crash

Seriously, its a toll road, anyone can pay ticket and go, most car insurance will cover a crash as it is a public toll road with "speed limits"

Most rental car in and around Nurburgring has a note in insurance and DO NOT cover Nurburgring crash.
Solution, rent by 10-12 special rental company cars modified to go on Nurburgring....

Its the freedom and risk that makes it fun, with US laywers and liability **** for all and nothing, this track would close down
If you play, be prepaired to pay or stay away
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Why you hope not ? This is motorheads freedom, anything goes.... there are just a few simple rules

1. Dont crash

Seriously, its a toll road, anyone can pay ticket and go, most car insurance will cover a crash as it is a public toll road with "speed limits"

Most rental car in and around Nurburgring has a note in insurance and DO NOT cover Nurburgring crash.
Solution, rent by 10-12 special rental company cars modified to go on Nurburgring....

Its the freedom and risk that makes it fun, with US laywers and liability **** for all and nothing, this track would close down
I concur!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VicCaerter
I would imagine that guy has some explaining to do to the rental company....
Well, it might be explicitely excluded from the contract and that could mean a LOT out of pocket $$, ahem EuroEuro. I hope the guy had fun :-)

I have driven the ring and if you don't know what you are getting into it can dangerous fast! You can fly down the road with 150+MPH and around the next corner is a tour bus going 80.

Last edited by andy82; 10-03-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

1. Dont crash

I said "I hope not" not knowing it's considered a public road. I always assumed it was a track only deal where one would have to undergo inspections, etc just like you would at Road Atlanta. I mean RA would let a driver on there with a rental but that's a serious risk because RA is NOT considered a public road so a crash there= you're screwed.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 PM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

Dibs on the ls7 out of it

Guys remember this will only bring up our resale value.. 1 less z out there haha
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saleentim
Dibs on the ls7 out of it

Guys remember this will only bring up our resale value.. 1 less z out there haha
Very compassionate. Alot of us know how easy it can be for these cars to get away from us. Especially if you are not used to them. Major bummer. Marc L.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Default Crazy good freedom :-)

If you want THE trackexperience, go to the ring, nowhere else in the world can you experience such a track with liberal rules. Be prepared fr waiting, track is often closed due to accidents, but they are efficient to remove cars and bodies so we can continue to drive.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEygx...e_gdata_player

And for gods sake use your mirrors, there is always someone faster and we dont wait for waveby
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

One not so lucky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddymo...e_gdata_player

Rune
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Another one in that same corner, after brunchen , right before icecurve.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZairK...e_gdata_player

Rune
Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 AM
hoefi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want THE trackexperience, go to the ring, nowhere else in the world can you experience such a track with liberal rules. Be prepared fr waiting, track is often closed due to accidents, but they are efficient to remove cars and bodies so we can continue to drive.....
I found in general, European track events are a lot more "relaxed" about safety compared to the U.S. evnets. The problem I have with the Ring is their public days. It's a bit of a gong show. I will not go back unless it is a private day. Less than two hours away is Spa. Now, that is a world class track.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

This video shows how insanely stupid the "ring" is.

Unless cars are staged and run one at a time in reasonably safe intervals with radio contact to each driver warning them of a disaster ahead, this is just an ignorant place to be. Leave it to those rocket scientists in the Deutschland to come up with such a brilliant public track rental day.

This video is like a bad polish joke.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-04-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rental Z crashed at Nurburgring

Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
This video shows how insanely stupid the "ring" is.

Unless cars are staged and run one at a time in reasonably safe intervals with radio contact to each driver warning them of a disaster ahead, this is just an ignorant place to be. Leave it to those rocket scientists in the Deutschland to come up with such a brilliant public track rental day.

This video is like a bad polish joke.
Each to his own, someone think maybe otherwise? This is how this track/public road has operated for half a century. If you dont like it stay away :-)
Personally i have more issues with the strict rules in US, tried to rent a Corvette track day Z06 outside Las Vegas, Bondurant? And unless i participated in a three day instructor class we could not go
Having an international FIA race licence class C (anything up to Formel 3000) didnt mean anything to them....

Personally i also hate the public days on Nurburgring, too many idiots, but private track days are very fun, participate in VLN race is the best . But even in private events, drivers need to keep an eye in rearview mirror, because cars will pass you left and right, your job is just to keep raceline and dont do any stupid unexpected moves, and all is fine

And death toll is down from 40-60 a year to 4-10

Rune
Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 PM
BartManStl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be honest, I had no idea that it operated this way. Watching those video's made me cringe! That said, we do have some insane rules in the U.S. But man, those were free for all's!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 AM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

Those vids are sick!! I would love to take a beater out there and just rip it a new one

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rental Z crashed at Nurburgring