Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question about the valve drop issue some of the LS7 motors are having

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 AM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the valve drop issue some of the LS7 motors are having

hey gang,

I know there has been a slew of reports regarding Z06 owners blowing their motors due to valve dropping. I am in the process of buying a used Z06 with the intent of installing a mild 220s or 230s cam in the motor.

Is there any sort of mod that can be done on the valve train components as a safety net so this issue does not arise? I heard replacing the rocker arm trunions would alleviate the problem.

Last edited by uracowman; 10-27-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The "Search" feature on this sight is your friend best of luck, you have many, many hours on this very subject you can read up on right at your disposal on this forum.

Because these threads are becoming WAY to repetitive and redundant and I am tired of repeating myself, that is the best advice I can give you.

Oh yeah, the bad news is after reading about 100 hours on this topic you will find out there is no definitive answer to your question!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-27-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I just went with a comp cams 231 247 cam in my 06z. while doing the cam I got spooked by all the threads about the valve problems. I decided to pull the heads and change the guides to be safe. while the heads were off I had .040 shaved off to bump comp for a little more power. I also had the heads ported. while the work was being done the machine shop calls and says the guides were bad and the exhaust valves were shot and needed to be replaced due to excessive wear. this very well may have saved my motor. if you are doing a cam I would do the heads as well. you will get more power and you may prevent a failure at the same time.

Last edited by 2000FRCZ19; 10-27-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
The "Search" feature on this sight is your friend best of luck, you have many, many hours on this very subject you can read up on right at your disposal on this forum.

Because these threads are becoming WAY to repetitive and redundant and I am tired of repeating myself, that is the best advice I can give you.

Oh yeah, the bad news is after reading about 100 hours on this topic you will find out there is no definitive answer to your question!
LOL.... TRUE!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000FRCZ19
I just went with a comp cams 231 247 cam in my 06z. while doing the cam I got spooked by all the threads about the valve problems. I decided to pull the heads and change the guides to be safe. while the heads were off I had .040 shaved off to bump comp for a little more power. I also had the heads ported. while the work was being done the machine shop calls and says the guides were bad and the exhaust valves were shot and needed to be replaced due to excessive wear. this very well may have saved my motor. if you are doing a cam I would do the heads as well. you will get more power and you may prevent a failure at the same time.
curious when they ported your heads, just what did they do?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 AM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy

yea. I did a search for a good two hours yesterday and solutions vary from trunions to replacing the rockers to replacing the guides.

at minimum, I am replacing the springs and pushrods. I noticed yesterday that some members were recommending changing out the valves while other members did not agree with the idea.

Some other input from others would be much appreciated on the topic.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If it still has a warranty from GM, leave it alone until it expires. If you can get an aftermarket warranty to cover the engine, I'd do that.

If you are spending the cash for a cam and tune, I've gathered through reading that you might as well pull the heads and have the valve guides replaced with bronze, a 3 angle valve job, and the exhaust valves at a minimum upgraded. You could have the heads ported as well if you trust the shop doing the work.

The valves not seating properly has been a relevant theory that could explain what's happening.

The rocker arm upgrades will prevent a rocker arm from failing and keep needle bearings out of your oil pan, but this doesn't appear to have any relationship to the valves dropping. And you are just as likely to get a bad rocker aftermarket as you are from GM, unless you are in the Jan - Jun 07 build date range.

This is all opinion and your mileage may vary.

Last edited by jedblanks; 10-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jimman
curious when they ported your heads, just what did they do?
nothing major. cleaned up the exhaust side and soothed it out some. left the intake side alone. i should have pics tuesday.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by uracowman
yea. I did a search for a good two hours yesterday and solutions vary from trunions to replacing the rockers to replacing the guides.

at minimum, I am replacing the springs and pushrods. I noticed yesterday that some members were recommending changing out the valves while other members did not agree with the idea.

Some other input from others would be much appreciated on the topic.
i was going to go back with the stock exhaust valves, but since they were worn so bad and i needed to get replacements i decided to go with stainless as many others have done.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM
jasonn5
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default moor failure

Oops the sky is falling again. You guys need to get a life. Enjoy what you have and don't worry what might or not might happen and deal with it if it happens......Mike
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by uracowman
hey gang,

I know there has been a slew of reports regarding Z06 owners blowing their motors due to valve dropping. I am in the process of buying a used Z06 with the intent of installing a mild 220s or 230s cam in the motor.

Is there any sort of mod that can be done on the valve train components as a safety net so this issue does not arise? I heard replacing the rocker arm trunions would alleviate the problem.
Call or pm jason at Katech engineering and get his advice.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jasonn5
Oops the sky is falling again. You guys need to get a life. Enjoy what you have and don't worry what might or not might happen and deal with it if it happens......Mike
oh excuse me for being a free thinker, not sticking my head in the sand, and pretending the mighty ls7 is unbreakable. i would rather spend $2000 in head work and save a $14000 engine than run it as is till it breaks. in my case it would not have been long due to the excessive wear on the valves and guides with the higher lift cam. if you are doing a cam you might as well do it especially if you dont know the history of the car. my car had 55000 miles on it when it went in for the work. i am not upset about the issue because it turned out well for me. i dont feel all ls7s are going to drop an exhaust valve, but if it is going to be tracked or modded with an agressive cam then i think its worth doing the heads unless you have excessive funding and $14000 is nothing to your wallet. if i were not modding the car or it never sees track time then i dont think i would have pulled the heads. i would have just drivien it till it broke. who knows how long it would have lasted that way. i have had performance engines that did wear guides in the past and i found it to be acceptable for the power they made and the cam profiles that were used. i love my car and would not trade it for anything else. these are truly amazing machines for the money. i figure if i can do something to prevent a failure in a known problem area i might as well. i would rather drive the thing and enjoy it rather than ignore a potential problem and not be able to drive it because i stuck my head in the sand. i am glad i listend to the all the sky is falling people. it saved me a lot of headache and a lot more cash. if i followed your advice i would be picking up engine parts in a few months.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:40 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
and the exhaust valves at a minimum upgraded.
I know you said this was an opinion, but I would like to hear what you believe an upgraded exhaust valve is.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

oh excuse me for being a free thinker, not sticking my head in the sand, and pretending the mighty ls7 is unbreakable. i would rather spend $2000 in head work and save a $14000 engine than run it as is till it breaks. in my case it would not have been long due to the excessive wear on the valves and guides with the higher lift cam. if you are doing a cam you might as well do it especially if you dont know the history of the car. my car had 55000 miles on it when it went in for the work. i am not upset about the issue because it turned out well for me. i dont feel all ls7s are going to drop an exhaust valve, but if it is going to be tracked or modded with an agressive cam then i think its worth doing the heads unless you have excessive funding and $14000 is nothing to your wallet. if i were not modding the car or it never sees track time then i dont think i would have pulled the heads. i would have just drivien it till it broke. who knows how long it would have lasted that way. i have had performance engines that did wear guides in the past and i found it to be acceptable for the power they made and the cam profiles that were used. i love my car and would not trade it for anything else. these are truly amazing machines for the money. i figure if i can do something to prevent a failure in a known problem area i might as well. i would rather drive the thing and enjoy it rather than ignore a potential problem and not be able to drive it because i stuck my head in the sand. i am glad i listend to the all the sky is falling people. it saved me a lot of headache and a lot more cash. if i followed your advice i would be picking up engine parts in a few months.
Just curious if your engine builder recommended shaft mount rockers for your cam, to help with geometry? I have the same cam (I think) - mine is ground on a 113 LSA, with ~ 0.640" lift. The high lift associated with the guide concerns makes me wonder if shaft mounts help alleviate this at all.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM
msd127
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree somewhat even though I am not tracking the car, and didnt upgrade the cam; I did the bronze guides, ss exhaust vales, upgraded springs, and new OEM rockers with Harland sharps upgrade, just to be safe.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:01 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by msd127
I agree somewhat even though I am not tracking the car, and didnt upgrade the cam; I did the bronze guides, ss exhaust vales, upgraded springs, and new OEM rockers with Harland sharps upgrade, just to be safe.
Did you port the heads at all? Thinking about doing a similar setup
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Just curious if your engine builder recommended shaft mount rockers for your cam, to help with geometry? I have the same cam (I think) - mine is ground on a 113 LSA, with ~ 0.640" lift. The high lift associated with the guide concerns makes me wonder if shaft mounts help alleviate this at all.
some people do but my builder has run bigger cams with the stock rockers with no problems. the stock rockers seem to be fine. katech uses them on their stuff so I opted to stay stock. my stock stuff made it 55000 miles so if I get that much out of it this time I will be happy with that. yes we have the same cam its 0.650 0.661 lift but mine is on a 115 lsa.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about the valve drop issue some of the LS7 motors are having

Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
msd127
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
No I didnt
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
I bet some of you guys don't realize that LS7 Heads come Cnd'd ported from the factory, really not a lot to gain there, but milling the heads is the winning ticket to extract that little extra horsepower (lying within those very high performing/flowing stock LS7 heads).

Mill the heads to make around 11:8 to compression to hit that 600rwhp mark (with aftermarket cam of course), and do all the other basic stuff that Jason at Katech recommonds if one wants to safe- guard against the dropping valve issue.

1. Bronze Valve Guides.

2. 3 Angle Valve Job

3. Stock TI vales unless your building a real CRAZY high HP motor or a racing engine (625+rhwp) then use Inconel (sp?) valves.

4. If using stock cam STICK with new OEM springs and STOCK rockers. Of course upgrade to proper sping and pushrod if she is cammed up. !

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-27-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would change the exhaust valves to a quality one piece valve and inspect the exhaust guides for wear. A lot of guides wear and cause the 2 piece exhaust valves to break. This will cause major damage to the engine. Easy driven Z's don't seem to have any problems, Only the ones that are driven hard for the most part have issues of exhaust valve problems.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question about the valve drop issue some of the LS7 motors are having