Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Nav owners.....I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EViL427
I don't understand all this hate toward the OEM setup. Mine works perfectly fine and it's the only system that will integrate with the HUD.
What year is yours? I don't think mine (07) will work with the hud, lol leaste I haven't noticed. I may need to go read my OM some more though.

My oem one can't even load my home address, I have to pin point my location in order to use it to nav home. House was built in 04, it should be there.... Tybee Lighthouse here in Savannah Ga. been there for a long long time, like it's an historic site old, but my oem nav has no idea how to get to it.... it's crap. The screen is nice tho, I do like the Vette emblem on it when I fire the car up.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Tsar
Racer

Originally Posted by jvp
The HUD integration is a useless gimmick, all things considered. The issue with the OEM nav is that it's a barely adequate navigation system, and a TERRIBLE entertainment system. The GM-offered "PAL" system is still a hack that works, um.. well it barely works. It's nothing like a system designed from the ground-up to work with iPods properly. Nor does the system allow Bluetooth connectivity for sync'ing addresses/phone numbers, or for streaming music.

It's a badly designed system and worthy basically of the amusement it provides by dropping it into a chipper/shredder.

jas

lmao
Old 01-04-2012, 11:45 AM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
I don't understand all this hate toward the OEM setup. Mine works perfectly fine and it's the only system that will integrate with the HUD.
I don't really hate It just think GM could of put at least a Ipod hook up on it or had alittle more functionality. It's not like it's a Hyundai, oh wait I think they even have them. Beside the sound quality only with just a head unit makes it sound better. In my TB before the head unit i put in a cheap amp, a 10" rockford in a truck box I had from a pick up, it was not much better. After the head unit holy shjt. Quality of sound is actually pretty good. Just my .02..........As much as I like my tunes I pay more attention to the music coming from the exhaust in the Z!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
The HUD integration is a useless gimmick, all things considered. The issue with the OEM nav is that it's a barely adequate navigation system, and a TERRIBLE entertainment system. The GM-offered "PAL" system is still a hack that works, um.. well it barely works. It's nothing like a system designed from the ground-up to work with iPods properly. Nor does the system allow Bluetooth connectivity for sync'ing addresses/phone numbers, or for streaming music.

It's a badly designed system and worthy basically of the amusement it provides by dropping it into a chipper/shredder.

jas
Definitely a matter of personal opinion. As I said, it works perfectly fine for my needs. I don't use bluetooth (didn't even get offered on cars prior to 2009, so I can't complain there) and I use satellite more than my iPod. And it has never failed to get me to my destination.

To each his own.

Originally Posted by Tsar
What year is yours? I don't think mine (07) will work with the hud, lol leaste I haven't noticed. I may need to go read my OM some more though.
Mine is a 2008. You need to have the HUD in street mode. Won't work in track mode. I don't listen to the "bitch in the box" and run it silent so as not to interrupt my tunes, and having it in the HUD is safer than having to glance down at the dash.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 01-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Iflyguns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iflyguns
Gents, of the 3 radio's suggested in this discussion Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer which would you suggest for ease of installation, use of factory dash/console trim, factory look, functionality, use of factory installed wiring and components and overall features?

Thanks,
Any info?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Slim 07
4th Gear

I have an '07 Z. I put the Alpine NAV unit in it. Used it for a couple of months. Took it out, and went back to the GM OEM NAV. IMO, the OEM is -- if not superior -- the equal of any after market unit.

I drive truck for a living and have used various GPS units all over the country. They are all the same: right about 90% of the time and dead wrong about 10% of the time. And all have the same issues with unknown addresses.

IMO, the reason users are so frustrated with the OEM Nav (apart from the issues common to all GPS) is due to the disabled features while driving. Because users can't fiddle with it while driving they never spend enough time with it to figure it out completely and remain in the frustration zone that new soft wear creates in users. If half the menu items on your smart phone or computer kept going blank every time you almost had it figured out you'd be cussing that too.

IMO having GPS in the heads up display is reason enough to not put some aftermarket razzle dazzle in the dash or to hang some ugly handheld device off the dashboard. But each to his fancy.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Tsar
Racer

Originally Posted by Slim 07
I have an '07 Z. I put the Alpine NAV unit in it. Used it for a couple of months. Took it out, and went back to the GM OEM NAV. IMO, the OEM is -- if not superior -- the equal of any after market unit.

I drive truck for a living and have used various GPS units all over the country. They are all the same: right about 90% of the time and dead wrong about 10% of the time. And all have the same issues with unknown addresses.

IMO, the reason users are so frustrated with the OEM Nav (apart from the issues common to all GPS) is due to the disabled features while driving. Because users can't fiddle with it while driving they never spend enough time with it to figure it out completely and remain in the frustration zone that new soft wear creates in users. If half the menu items on your smart phone or computer kept going blank every time you almost had it figured out you'd be cussing that too.

IMO having GPS in the heads up display is reason enough to not put some aftermarket razzle dazzle in the dash or to hang some ugly handheld device off the dashboard. But each to his fancy.
Excellent points and I agree with most of them, with one exception. Every time I "fiddle" with the OEM was at a dead stop with the e-brake applied. I have lived here for approx 13 years and honestly don't need a Nav device, but the times I have tried to use it, granted it's only been a handfull of times it has failed me. My wife has a Garmin that NEVER has, and we use it on all road trips. I can also update it for life for like $70 (can't remember the exact amount). I will prolly keep the OEM tbh because I have no issues with anything else about it, though there are some nice things about the other units offered up.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Slim 07
4th Gear

Any info?
I think all aftermarket Nav units will have virtually the same installation difficulties. Non of them will plug directly or completely into your car's dashboard or wiring harness. I temporarily used the Alpine Nav unit. Installation is certainly doable, but it's not quick and easy.

I didn't particularly like the look of the Alpine unit. But that's a matter of opinion and may depend on your age. I thought it looked like something a teenager would put in his car, but it's not a bad looking unit by any means.

To the best of my knowledge, Alpine has yet to release an update for their nav and it must be nearly a decade since it was first released. I may be wrong on that.

I've always been an Alpine fan. I had great success with Alpine in my youth. But this unit didn't exactly blow my skirt up. It did however, have some features that the OEM lacks, and being able to play concert videos in the car at concert volume levels was impressive.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Tannman
Racer

Originally Posted by dean23
Look at the Kenwood dnx 9980 hd, NAV unit. hands free, bluetooth, streaming and for phone usage, voice command and the best navigation on the market ! I installed one on my 2005 avalanche and love it.
Excellent unit!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Tannman
Racer

Any info?
If I had it to do over again, I would go with the Kenwood unit.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
DocT
Instructor

Will all of these aftermarket systems integrate with the steering wheel controls?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Tsar
Racer

Originally Posted by DocT
Will all of these aftermarket systems integrate with the steering wheel controls?
I looked at the Kenwood, it will work with the steering controls, but you have to buy another item for it.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It's a badly designed system and worthy basically of the amusement it provides by dropping it into a chipper/shredder.........

jas

well ok then..........
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 PM
DocT
Instructor

Thanks Tsar! BTW, I can't quit looking at your avatar! Very Nice...!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Tsar
Racer

Originally Posted by DocT
Thanks Tsar! BTW, I can't quit looking at your avatar! Very Nice...!
I honestly couldn't tell you where I found it. Have had it for years. She / it is very nice indeed.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Unreal
No you cannot.

No you cannot.

I would NOT waste my money onm the "factory" Nav. This unit is DVD based, meaning, if you do not have a updated DVD, then uyour nav is useless.

I was trying to use mine last summer in a area where new highway/streets have been put in (in) the last couple years. My 'Z is a 2010, so I assume the DVD that came with it new was a 2008-9 DVD. My nav screen was showing me to be out in middle of a field. It was useless to me. The updated DVD are 200 dollars I think.

Pioneer makes a system/head unit which fits into the dash of C6's (all) and is a GPS based unit.....get a GPS based unit, not one based on DVD using GPS as locator.

if you get the DVD then, be prepared to have to buy a new updated DVD every year or two.

There are only two reasons I bought my second new C6 with factory nav, 1) is I like the touch screen to select music. I also have Ray Kawai's PAL system installed so I can connect my iphone 4 and use it's ipod to play music lists, 2) the nav WILL project your route in the HUD, so that IS a nice feature....

The updated Bose system in the 2012 Vettes do NOT share these issues.

Last edited by tim414; 01-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Nav owners.....I have a question.