Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Carvaggio seats - pass occupant sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default Carvaggio seats - pass occupant sensor

I am trying to determine if I should purchase a new passenger seat occupant sensor for my carvaggio seat, to fix the airbag light and get the system working properly.

I don't want to take my stock seats apart.

Before spending the money for the sensor, I am wondering if any of you did this and if so, did it work, and what was involved?

Alternatively, have any of you had the occupant sensor turned off by having the air bag module reprogrammed?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
MGJ07C6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Caravaggio usually sends a plug to go into the harness on both the driver and passanger side to turn the air bag light off.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I picked mine up used, so I will have to check with them. I was under the impression those are only the airbag plugs. Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your seats come with bases? You have to take the stock seats apart to reuse the factory bases. I installed the sensor for the passenger seat ,works like the factory seat.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thanks. That is whatbinwas looking for. My seats came with everything, tracks and all. The only thing missing is the occupant sensor and I didn't want to take my stock seats apart just for that, or lay out 300 for a new one, if I wasn't pretty sure it would work.

Did you need to have the dealer reset it?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MGJ07C6
Caravaggio usually sends a plug to go into the harness on both the driver and passanger side to turn the air bag light off.
Those resistors are needed because the Caravaggio seats don't have side airbags and thus the airbag light on the dash will remain permanently on if you don't do something to 'defeat' it (aka. the warning light).

The sensor/pad that goes under the passenger cushion is to disarm the airbag if a very small/light-weight passenger is in that seat or if there's no passenger at all. If I had to guess, I'd say unless you want to do away with the passenger airbag all together, there's no way to NOT have that sensor/pad and still have a functioning (goes on and off) passenger airbag...it's not just a warning light issue.

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 01-11-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
hefti2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK the function is just opposed to what you described..
The passenger airbag is OFF until a certain load on it is detected (AKA passenger). You can also see this when checking the little light in the rearview mirror- marked off when not occupied and active when someone is sitting there..

So I would strongly recommed to use the mat there or in case of a crash the passenger will not have an engaging airbag.
For the side airbag you, of course, need the fooler-plug and after all you definitely need to reset the airbag ecu.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:27 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hefti2
AFAIK the function is just opposed to what you described..
The passenger airbag is OFF until a certain load on it is detected (AKA passenger). You can also see this when checking the little light in the rearview mirror- marked off when not occupied and active when someone is sitting there..

So I would strongly recommed to use the mat there or in case of a crash the passenger will not have an engaging airbag.
For the side airbag you, of course, need the fooler-plug and after all you definitely need to reset the airbag ecu.

Hope that helps.
Correct, if there little or no weight the airbag does not work. I guess the question is what does the car think if there is NO sensor/pad at all? Clearly without the sensor/pad there's no way the airbag with be turning on AND off. So I guess the question is whether the lack of sensor/pad leaves the airbag permanently enabled or disabled, and whether you can live with either of those consequences.

My point is, this is not simply a warning light issue at question. Personally I just transferred the sensor/pad from the stock seat, it really wasn't that big a deal.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I understand. I want to have it work properly. Before I buy the sensor, I just wanted to be sure that someone got it to work. I have the side airbag plugs.

I also like the fact that my stock seats will be completely in tact, and I can put them back in without rebuilding them.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have bought custom race seats for my Z06 and am in need of the air bag sims. Where can I buy them? Vendor sell them? Post if possible please.
Aj
Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
I have bought custom race seats for my Z06 and am in need of the air bag sims. Where can I buy them? Vendor sell them? Post if possible please.
Aj
Google vetteworks and call them. They can help
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have an Airbag light on, your srs system is shut down entirely. transfer the load sensor and have it recalibrated with a tech 2.

Get notified of new replies

To Carvaggio seats - pass occupant sensor

Quick Reply: [Z06] Carvaggio seats - pass occupant sensor