Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] CR's take on the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default CR's take on the Corvette

I was surprised while flipping through this month's Consumer Reports. As someone shopping for a Z06, I can't help but be wary of the issues of the 2007 that have seem to manifested, however the minority they may be.

With that bias, I was surprised to see the 2007 received a better than average overall reliability while the 2006/8 received an average. Granted, this is all Corvettes and the Z06 is just a fraction of that, but that is how it came out.

Problem areas for all these years were Engine Cooling and Body Integrity, and a few issues with Power Equipment and Drive system. The only below average for minor engine problems was 2008, which was what really surprised me.

Regardless, the Corvette got the CR Recommended Buy stamp of approval. I'm still thinking a 2008 Z though.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by valet_devil
I was surprised while flipping through this month's Consumer Reports. As someone shopping for a Z06, I can't help but be wary of the issues of the 2007 that have seem to manifested, however the minority they may be.

With that bias, I was surprised to see the 2007 received a better than average overall reliability while the 2006/8 received an average. Granted, this is all Corvettes and the Z06 is just a fraction of that, but that is how it came out.

Problem areas for all these years were Engine Cooling and Body Integrity, and a few issues with Power Equipment and Drive system. The only below average for minor engine problems was 2008, which was what really surprised me.

Regardless, the Corvette got the CR Recommended Buy stamp of approval. I'm still thinking a 2008 Z though.
I couldn't help notice your username....any stories there..??
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

You have to take those reports with a grain of salt. Most of that info comes from owners who are sensitive to the brand of car or who complain about something that is normal. Take the cooling system stuff. Although a different subset of Corvette owners look at the number of forum members that worry themselves sick over the operating temps of the cars. Same goes in the wider world. Replace the gauge with one similar to other cars where it points to a large green area and nobody complains. What that proves is that you can give some people too much knowledge.

How do cars built to the same processes without any changes but the model year stamped into their VINs get different ratings?? Who knows, nobody does. How do cars with different name plates but identical in all other ways and built on the same assembly line (sometimes within minutes of each other) get rated differently. One brand will have numerous complaints and the other almost none. The only difference is one of the brands is a supposedly high quality car builder while the perception of the other is a bad car builder.

Bill
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tim414
I couldn't help notice your username....any stories there..??
When I opened my Corvette Forum account my junior year in high school I was procrastinating on my World History paper, building my dream Vette on chevrolet.com, and currently employed as a car valet that got eyes the size of saucers when a customer pulled up in a Corvette. Oh the temptation.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude buy the car because you want to drive the best car you will ever have the chance to own in your lifetime. No way it will ever get better than this for the price, especially with EPA knocking on our door. If you want slow family import reliability, then go buy one.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How do cars built to the same processes without any changes but the model year stamped into their VINs get different ratings?? Who knows, nobody does.

Bill
There are differences year to year. Sometimes they are improvements, sometimes oversights. My 2001 consumed oil, like many 2001s. My friend's 2000 and another's 2002 did not.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

There are differences year to year. Sometimes they are improvements, sometimes oversights. My 2001 consumed oil, like many 2001s. My friend's 2000 and another's 2002 did not.
My 01Z LS6 did at 1000 miles per qt until I got the rering upgrade at 11k. Oil consumption dropped dramatically to about 3k to 4k per qt.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07, and have no issues (knocks on wood). I do intend to have head work(valve train) done before I have any problems as well as an improvement to the stock oil system. My car was built in June 06 so I missed the troubled months it seems, and the car runs like a champ. Other than the rocker arm bearing issues the other years share the same engine problems as the 07s do. Judge each car on it's own merit, and enjoy.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

As someone shopping for a Z06, I can't help but be wary of the issues of the 2007 that have seem to manifested, however the minority they may be.
I'm sorry, I have no clue what you are trying to say.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
I'm sorry, I have no clue what you are trying to say.
I talk like that when I drink and go on the Forum.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I talk like that when I drink and go on the Forum.
Good one.

Get notified of new replies

To CR's take on the Corvette

Quick Reply: [Z06] CR's take on the Corvette