Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Caliper Rebuild Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM
VettemanInOregon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Caliper Rebuild Help

I am rebuilding a set of 2007 Z06 front calipers as I am going have them powder coated. Can someone give the latest on where to buy the boots and seals and if you have part #’s too that would be great. Also need some of the BRAKE PAD CENTERING PINS (the one that are so hard to remove) place to purchase and part #’s if you have them.
Thanks Andy
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 AM
1000yardman
Advanced

Default rebuild kits

Had mine powder coated and rebuilt,got my rebuild kits from Gene at GM Parts House
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm sure Bill will chime in.....he's very knowlegable concerning brakes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

with Tim - I think Tech Contributor Bill Dearborn can point you toward a source for gaskets/seals.

As far as pad pin bolts, if you buy a new set of OE pads you should get a new set of bolts with them.

If you buy the pad pin bolts separately, they ain't cheap!!!

Here are some available from the Corvette Forum Store:

http://store.corvetteforum.com/p-324...and-sport.aspx

And here are some aftermarket ones from Racing Brake that have a hex head so you use a 10mm socket on them. I have a set of these and like them better than the OE ones that require an allen wrench or torx bit:

http://www.racingbrake.com/Z06_Brake...t_p/z06-53.htm

Bob
Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

This is the Zeckhausen Racing web site that has the pins and seals and other caliper hardware. http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...02_103_104_847

If you just want to replace the seals this is the best place to buy them since the GM kits come with all of the hardware and get expensive. If you buy everything that comes in the GM Kit you may get a better price by buying the kit from one of the forum vendors.

To replace the seals you will also need to order the seal lubricant. Local auto parts stores don't carry this stuff any more and the clerks have that deer in the headlights look when you ask them about the lubricant.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2967

To remove the pistons put a ~3/4 inch board between them so they can just move out of their bores far enough so you can get hold of them with your fingers or a set of pliers. Then apply compressed air to the brake line port and pop them out. If one comes all the way out you will lose the pressure required to get the rest out. Make sure your fingers are clear of the space or they will get pinched badly. Cover the caliper with a shop cloth to keep brake fluid from flying around.

DRM has stainless steel pistons that don't transmit heat quickly into the brake fluid so if you are tracking the car this is a good time to install them.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
tommyc6z06 (02-22-2021)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
VettemanInOregon
Intermediate

Bill thanks for the help.
Andy

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Caliper Rebuild Help

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Caliper Rebuild Help