Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] No fob detected

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default No fob detected

I know all about the SEARCH function, so please save those comments and help me find a solution.

Car was working good until I decided to replace the FOB batteries because they were old. I replaced the batteries with Energizer 2032's. Neither FOB was detected. I put the old PANASONIC battery (one that I just removed) back into one FOB and still NO FOB DETECTED. I went back to the drug store for two (2) more 2032's, just in case the first set was bad. This time I tried Duracell. NO FOB DETECTED. SEARCH then directed me to the Chevy dealer for a new OEM AC Delco battery. Still, NO FOB DETECTED.

Definitely frustrating. My car was recently warrantied by Chevy because the telescoping wheel quit functioning. They (Chevy) replaced the telescoping wheel motor and switch, did the Service Bulletin on the BCM, replaced the SEAT MEMORY MODULE and eventually tightened up a loose ground wire that ultimately fixed the problem. Everything was fine and I figured replacing batteries (FOB and vehicle) was a good idea. 2007 Z06 with 8K miles, Headers, CAI. I, in fact, may have never ever used FOB #2, until just now trying it and it didn't work with the new batteries.

Snapped both FOB's tight and I was very careful while removing/replacing batteries and + is definitely down. Let's see if CF GENIUS can find a solution. Thanks and !
Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssmoke
I know all about the SEARCH function, so please save those comments and help me find a solution.

Car was working good until I decided to replace the FOB batteries because they were old. I replaced the batteries with Energizer 2032's. Neither FOB was detected. I put the old PANASONIC battery (one that I just removed) back into one FOB and still NO FOB DETECTED. I went back to the drug store for two (2) more 2032's, just in case the first set was bad. This time I tried Duracell. NO FOB DETECTED. SEARCH then directed me to the Chevy dealer for a new OEM AC Delco battery. Still, NO FOB DETECTED.

Definitely frustrating. My car was recently warrantied by Chevy because the telescoping wheel quit functioning. They (Chevy) replaced the telescoping wheel motor and switch, did the Service Bulletin on the BCM, replaced the SEAT MEMORY MODULE and eventually tightened up a loose ground wire that ultimately fixed the problem. Everything was fine and I figured replacing batteries (FOB and vehicle) was a good idea. 2007 Z06 with 8K miles, Headers, CAI. I, in fact, may have never ever used FOB #2, until just now trying it and it didn't work with the new batteries.

Snapped both FOB's tight and I was very careful while removing/replacing batteries and + is definitely down. Let's see if CF GENIUS can find a solution. Thanks and !
Does your car start with the fob inserted into the slot in the glove box?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marc Lefebvre
Does your car start with the fob inserted into the slot in the glove box?
Yes it does.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Did you try pressing both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for 3 seconds?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marc Lefebvre
Did you try pressing both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for 3 seconds?
I haven't tried that. What does that do? I also did not know anything about reprogramming a FOB until I read an old post by Zogman that read

"I've only had my car a month and last week one of my FOB's stopped working and this week my other FOB stopped working. Basically no FOB detected with both. Replaced batteries in both and still nothing. Searched the forum here in the FAQ and so I'm trying to re-program both using the instructions. First of all the car starts if the FOB is in the glove box slot. I open the trunk as noted, then turn the key 5 hard times and nothing happens on my DIC (I'm assuming the DIC is the dash) I've tried this a bunch of times and using both FOBs and nothing on the DIC. What am I doing wrong folks? Seems basic but it's kicking my ***. Thanks in advance!!
Z"

Now I am looking for instructions on how to reprogram my FOB. Strangely, I do not see anything about reprogramming FOB's in my Owner's Manual.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Just found this post from May 2009.

"1. Car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. To continue with programming:
7. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
8. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
9. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
10. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side.
11. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
12. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car."

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=ssmoke;1580617945]Just found this post from May 2009.

"1. Car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. To continue with programming:
7. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
8. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
9. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
10. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side.
11. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
12. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car."

Keeping my fingers crossed. :cWow, good find. Let us know if that works. I had read on another forum about pressing the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for three seconds to reset the fob. Not sure if it works, but it is simple enough to try.
If everything else fails perhaps there is an issue with the reciever that reads the signal from the fob.
Keep us posted, and good luck. Marc L.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Just found this post from May 2009.

"1. Car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open

Keeping my fingers crossed.
WOW! I am really starting to think that these Z06's, yeah they're really fun to drive, are American POS's. Did the above and now my FOB's don't even work when they're inserted in the glove box slot. From BAD to TERRIBLE. Looks like I'll be going back to the dealer after having my car for two days after it was returned from the dealer after three long weeks. Not to mention the $115 I just spent on a battery that I apparently didn't need.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

WOW! I am really starting to think that these Z06's, yeah they're really fun to drive, are American POS's. Did the above and now my FOB's don't even work when they're inserted in the glove box slot. From BAD to TERRIBLE. Looks like I'll be going back to the dealer after having my car for two days after it was returned from the dealer after three long weeks. Not to mention the $115 I just spent on a battery that I apparently didn't need.
OK so now how am I supposed to get this POS back to the dealer when it won't start now? WOW. Anybody wanna buy a 2007 Z06 with 8K miles?
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeediculous.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Doing the reprogramming routine is probably what really screwed things up.

First, "reprograming the fob" is actually reprogramming the car. There is nothing programmable in the fobs.

Hopefully you didn't do process with BOTH of the fobs so that you still have an original.

Changing the batteries with known good ones (I always test them with a volt meter) shouldn't change anything. I've done it more than once on each of our C6s here. If you insert the battery upside down (easy to do) then it won't work. The other thing I've found is that those three little prongs on the metal circle that surrounds the battery need to make good contact with the battery's edge. I had your problem recently and after bending those prongs inward a tiny bit to increase their hold on the battery, all was fine once again.

Btw, you not being able to successfully change batteries in your fobs does not make the car a POS.

Z//
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

May sound like a dumb question but, how do you open the FOB to replace the battery? I have an 08' Z. I have tried but no success. There must be an easy way. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spra4u
May sound like a dumb question but, how do you open the FOB to replace the battery? I have an 08' Z. I have tried but no success. There must be an easy way. Thanks.
I had the same question/problem as you when I upgraded to 08+ keys, and the answer is pure force!! Make sure the metal bottom key is not in and just use brute force to rip it apart. I swear it feels like it's going to explode every time I do it.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Now I am looking for instructions on how to reprogram my FOB. Strangely, I do not see anything about reprogramming FOB's in my Owner's Manual.
Page 75 in the Owners Manual. If the FOB worked in the glove box the FOB was already matched to the car.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

as silly as this sounds, is the battery right side up??? I did that once, relized it within 30 seconds, put it the right way and baaam !!

Ooops, just read you did check, maybe doublecheck it.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 AM
04c5z06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a similar problem with my car a month or two ago; I had just purchased the car and this problem was unexpected. The key fob was no longer working for me, I could not get the car started and no guide on the forums was working for me. By opening the back with the trick I was able to charge my battery overnight. The next morning I used the completely dead key fob to start the car by putting it in the slot next to the glovebox (which wasn't working before). I took an hour ride to the dealer I bought the car from to get the spare keyfob which also did nothing for the car. I took the car to the chevy dealer down the road and after an hour and a half wait, they had to completely reset the car (I still don't have the gps because it wiped it out and they didn't realize it and I don't have the disk) and told me that both key fobs were completely dead and couldn't be used (it's rare but it happens apparently) and they had one fob that they had there and was able to make that one work for me. It cost $150
Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
you not being able to successfully change batteries in your fobs does not make the car a POS
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

For SS, the FOBs were ALREADY learned by the car if they work in the glove box.

I had this happen on my Yukon. I lost one FOB, and the other had looked like the rubber seals were melted/goo when opened and was not salvageable. Cost me 300 bucks at the Caddy/Buick/GMC dealer for two new fob's......

Since the car now, does NOT recognize the FOBs in the glovebox, might try the re-learn process one more time. If it does not work call the dealer where you bought it and have them come get the 'Z and flatbed it back to dealer for fix.

Get notified of new replies

To No fob detected

Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You said you just installed a new battery in your vehicle ($115)? Are you 100% sure your new battery was fully charged AND capable of HOLDING a full charge? Over the years and multiple C5's I have found that precharging the battery slowly overnight and then letting it sit overnight again then checking to see if its still fully charged...is a must. A weak vehicly battery can.cause major "problems" with these cars. Good luck w your problems man. Also maybe your BCM is going to ****?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

New FOB batteries should be good (I bought and tried four.) New car battery should be good, but not 100% sure. I tried to reprogram again this morning (5th time) with a POWER STATION attached. In hindsight I should not have tried to reprogram the FOB's. In the procees I may have erased whatever working FOB read I had.

Towing company just said $200 to $300 for a tow to the dealer. I wonder how much damage they will do. TERRIBLE timing for me personally.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Each one brings me a little bit of hope, but I am about to call towing.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

A member suggested that I disconnect the battery and try the FOB's in the slot with the FOB batteries removed. I did and the FOB's worked in the slot without the battery.

Another member posted a picture of his battery in the bottom 1/2 of the FOB. I had the ring with the contact prongs that the battery sits turned 90 degrees to the wrong position. (I had the prongs at 7 when they should be at 3.) UNBELIEVABLE

Thanks to Corvette Forum Collective Genius again. I love it and should now be able to sleep.

Quick Reply: [Z06] No fob detected