Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Michelin PS2 ZP w/ deficient tread depth

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Michelin PS2 ZP w/ deficient tread depth

Has anyone else bought new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires lately and found out the front tires (275-35-18) do not have the correct amount of tread. Yesterday I put on a new set of PS2's and when I got home I checked the tread depth. The rear tires (325-30-19) were the correct 9.5/32 inch tread depth. The posted tread depth was verified on both the Michelin site and on the Tire Rack site. But the front tires were 8 to 8.25/32 tread depth. With the wear bars at about 3/32", this means that on a correct, new tire you have about 6.5/32" usable tread. So my brand new PS2's (on the front) are missing almost 20-25% of the usable tread. When the tire shop checked with the warehouse where they got the Michelins, they were told that the warehouse had 9 more 275-35-18 tires in stock and that all 9 measured 8/32" tread depth. It sounds like Michelin has a problem on their hands with at least some if not all of their Z06 front run flat tires.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by 08zee
Has anyone else bought new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires lately and found out the front tires (275-35-18) do not have the correct amount of tread. Yesterday I put on a new set of PS2's and when I got home I checked the tread depth. The rear tires (325-30-19) were the correct 9.5/32 inch tread depth. The posted tread depth was verified on both the Michelin site and on the Tire Rack site. But the front tires were 8 to 8.25/32 tread depth. With the wear bars at about 3/32", this means that on a correct, new tire you have about 6.5/32" usable tread. So my brand new PS2's (on the front) are missing almost 20-25% of the usable tread. When the tire shop checked with the warehouse where they got the Michelins, they were told that the warehouse had 9 more 275-35-18 tires in stock and that all 9 measured 8/32" tread depth. It sounds like Michelin has a problem on their hands with at least some if not all of their Z06 front run flat tires.
The M PS2 275/35-18 non-RFT for the Viper are spec'd for 8.5/32nd.
Are you sure you have the ZP's. If so, I'd suggest contacting Tire Rack and/or Michelin to find out if there is a spec problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you contact Luke at Tire Rack? He is an excellent CF resource - keep us posted please?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 PM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AzDave47
The M PS2 275/35-18 non-RFT for the Viper are spec'd for 8.5/32nd.
Are you sure you have the ZP's. If so, I'd suggest contacting Tire Rack and/or Michelin to find out if there is a spec problem.
I definitely have the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires and even checked my tread depth gauge with a micrometer. Plus both Firestone and Discount Tire checked the tread depth. I made the original contact with Michelin. They requested I take the Z06 to an authorized Michelin store and said Discount Tire near my house would be fine. Discount Tire checked the tires and called Michelin to verify the 8/32" tread depth. After discussing it, Michelin informed Discount Tire that they would not replace the tires with ZP's, but with another model or a different make! They questioned why I now have 24 miles on the tires. That's easy - 2 trips to Firestone, 1 trip to Discount Tire and 4 mile drive on I-35W to check drivability.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like Michelin's customer service sucks.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

I definitely have the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires and even checked my tread depth gauge with a micrometer. Plus both Firestone and Discount Tire checked the tread depth. I made the original contact with Michelin. They requested I take the Z06 to an authorized Michelin store and said Discount Tire near my house would be fine. Discount Tire checked the tires and called Michelin to verify the 8/32" tread depth. After discussing it, Michelin informed Discount Tire that they would not replace the tires with ZP's, but with another model or a different make! They questioned why I now have 24 miles on the tires. That's easy - 2 trips to Firestone, 1 trip to Discount Tire and 4 mile drive on I-35W to check drivability.
M has a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee that allows you to exchange them. Are you in that 30 days? Check your guarantee. (if you don't have one, you should be able to download the guarantee from the Michelin web site.) Did M indicate they have changed the specs? If they have not, then they should replace the tires with "in spec" new tires.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AzDave47
M has a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee that allows you to exchange them. Are you in that 30 days? Check your guarantee. (if you don't have one, you should be able to download the guarantee from the Michelin web site.) Did M indicate they have changed the specs? If they have not, then they should replace the tires with "in spec" new tires.
Apparently Michelin's 30 day guarantee is that they will replace the tires, but not with the same model of tire. As I stated previously, they will replace my PS2 ZP's with a different model or even a different make. This might make sense if I was unhappy with ZP's that were made to specifications, but apparently these were not. I just wanted correctly manufactured Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires, and I wanted them all the way around my Z06. Not just on the rear.
I contacted Michelin again this a.m. and discussed the entire situation again. I am currently waiting on their response after they talk to the Firestone store from whom I bought the tires and Michelin was also going to talk to Firestone's supplier of the tires which I think was Discount Tire Direct. (BTW, I went to Firestone due to the fact they do a great job on my lifetime 4 wheel alignment and while there they said they could get Michelin tires if I preferred them over their Bridgestone Potenza run flat tire.)
In the meantime, I would caution all Corvette owners to check your Michelin tires for tread depth when you buy them. Especially the 275-35-18 size.
Also, it's important to know that the tires were installed 5/9/12, I returned to the Firestone store the same afternoon to inform them of the front tire tread depth problem, I drove 2 miles to I-35W and 4 miles on I35W to check for drivability, then 2 miles back to my house. I drove to Discount Tire on 5/10/12 as requested by Michelin's warranty dept. and they acted surprised that the tires now had 24 miles on them!

Last edited by 08zee; 05-11-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: add clarification
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I have been running the same size PS2Zps for the past 2 years. I'm not sure of the tread depth when new, but they have 18000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread left.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 383vett
I have been running the same size PS2Zps for the past 2 years. I'm not sure of the tread depth when new, but they have 18000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread left.
I'm sure Michelin made them right in the past. It just appears now that they may have a problem with the 275-35-18 size ZP's.
BTW, I'm considering going to the Bridgestone run flats since a friend now has 30,000 miles on his third set of Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT's and he's still going on them.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm sure Michelin made them right in the past. It just appears now that they may have a problem with the 275-35-18 size ZP's.
BTW, I'm considering going to the Bridgestone run flats since a friend now has 30,000 miles on his third set of Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT's and he's still going on them.
The Bridgestone RE050A RFT's is what I'm running on my Z06, and very happy with them. Started out with 10/32's and I'm now at between 8/32 & 9/32's(closer to 8/32's on most of my measurements) after 6500 miles.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Apparently Michelin's 30 day guarantee is that they will replace the tires, but not with the same model of tire. As I stated previously, they will replace my PS2 ZP's with a different model or even a different make. This might make sense if I was unhappy with ZP's that were made to specifications, but apparently these were not. I just wanted correctly manufactured Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires, and I wanted them all the way around my Z06. Not just on the rear.
I contacted Michelin again this a.m. and discussed the entire situation again. I am currently waiting on their response after they talk to the Firestone store from whom I bought the tires and Michelin was also going to talk to Firestone's supplier of the tires which I think was Discount Tire Direct. (BTW, I went to Firestone due to the fact they do a great job on my lifetime 4 wheel alignment and while there they said they could get Michelin tires if I preferred them over their Bridgestone Potenza run flat tire.)
In the meantime, I would caution all Corvette owners to check your Michelin tires for tread depth when you buy them. Especially the 275-35-18 size.
Also, it's important to know that the tires were installed 5/9/12, I returned to the Firestone store the same afternoon to inform them of the front tire tread depth problem, I drove 2 miles to I-35W and 4 miles on I35W to check for drivability, then 2 miles back to my house. I drove to Discount Tire on 5/10/12 as requested by Michelin's warranty dept. and they acted surprised that the tires now had 24 miles on them!
OMG .... you put 24 miles on them !!!! Good thing they didn't say that to me

DH
Old 05-11-2012, 06:35 PM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Michelin is still doing nothing about the problem. Now they say they will talk to someone Monday. Meanwhile the Z06 is sitting in the garage. But not for long.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't believe they are trying to apply that "only replace with different model" policy to this. That's crazy.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Sounds like Michelin's customer service sucks.
If you think Michelin's customer service sucks for street tires, call with a race tire question.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin PS2 ZP w/ deficient tread depth

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michelin PS2 ZP w/ deficient tread depth