Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Might get a new motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
akira88
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Might get a new motor

So what initially was a rocker arm replacement, is snowballing into a whole lot more.

My 2007 Z06 has about 17500 miles (28000km) on it. Bone stock, even still running the OE tires that are near dead! Car has been tracked once, but otherwise has been driven faily responsible.

On July 6th, I had the car brought into my local GM delearship for what I suspected was a rocker arm issue. There was a noticeable ticking sound that could be heard at idle all the way through the RPM. Dealer confirmed that 2 rocker arms were faultly...one had come out of alignment so much that it was pounding the valve and mushroomed the top. Warranty covered the the repair, and 2 weeks later I was back in business.

As soon as I picked the car up, the ticking noise at idle was gone. But as I made my way into the power band, I could hear it come back at around 2500 rpm. Brought it back to the service advisor, who at first told me that the noise was normal valve train noise. The following day, I bought it back and went for a road test with one of the techs. He heard the noise, but couldn't pin-point was it was until it was up on the hoist. After that, the service advisor still claimed it was normal valve train noise. I finally escalted to the service advisor who said they would start some deeper diagnostics.

Days go by, and the dealer calls me with an update. Heads are off, inspected at the machine shop, and valve train looks OK. They are now engaging GM Canada Technical Support because they can't find the issue.

Today I call for an update, and the service manager says that the entire motor is pretty much in pieces. They've found that there is some abnormal scoring inside the cylinder, the left header guide clearance is excessive, and that the motor is overall "not in spec". Another thing they noticed was that the engine oil was darker than it should have been, considering that I just had the oil changed 2 weeks prior.

So waiting for a response back from GM Canada as to whether they are going to rebuild the entire motor (machine the block, new pistons, new oil pump, lifters, rockers, valves etc), OR if I am going to get a new motor all together.

I am going to stop into the dealer after work today and get some pictures, but I'm glad that I was persistent with the initial service advisor and didn't accept "this is normal" as the resolution. Considering my powertrain warranty expires THIS WEEK, I hope that this all gets sorted out, and the car runs problem free after GM fixes this.

Gotta say that I've been living in fear with all the "dropped valve" threads going on lately, and considering the power train issues I've been having as of recent. But I still don't think I could get rid of the Z. It's just too damn nice.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to hear that!

Pretty good analysis, "Sounds normal" "Engine in Pieces"????

Good luck, 2k
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
akira88
Advanced

"Engine in pieces" - what they described was that they have taken off both heads, cams were out, pistons were out. Totally eviscerated the motor to get a good look at what was going on inside. Still no idea what the root cause was, hence either the rebuild (which would take weeks waiting on parts alone to come to Canada), or the engine swap.

The first time they had the heads off to replace the rocker arms and intake valves, I requested that they check valve wear (at my own cost). I'm sure they didn't check anything, because the response back then was that there was no abnormal wear. 4 weeks later, there is excessive wear. How quickly things change. Just goes to show that it pays to act like a dog with a bone when doing warranty work through the dealership.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by akira88
"Engine in pieces" - what they described was that they have taken off both heads, cams were out, pistons were out. Totally eviscerated the motor to get a good look at what was going on inside. Still no idea what the root cause was, hence either the rebuild (which would take weeks waiting on parts alone to come to Canada), or the engine swap.

The first time they had the heads off to replace the rocker arms and intake valves, I requested that they check valve wear (at my own cost). I'm sure they didn't check anything, because the response back then was that there was no abnormal wear. 4 weeks later, there is excessive wear. How quickly things change. Just goes to show that it pays to act like a dog with a bone when doing warranty work through the dealership.
I'd be very leary of a GM dealership and what they say they will do.
Don't be surprized if they come back and try to escape without cost. As for a new engine, most likely they will try to give you a new block that they will strap your old heads on after reconditioning. They just don't cough up a $15000 motor very easy

Last edited by JwT; 08-13-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:17 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

But I still don't think I could get rid of the Z. It's just too damn nice.
\
I know what ya mean...I've considered parting with my Z06 in the past for the ZR. I could NOT bring myself to let go of it. So I made up my mind to pick up a ZR after C7 appears....that way I'll have both.

The number 427 is awesome and not likely to ever come around again. Issues or not.

Sorry for your issue....hope it gets sorted and back on the road soon. Let us know what they say....
Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
akira88
Advanced

So just got the call from the dealer earlier this afternoon.

GM is giving me a new motor. Brand new heads and block. Was so relieved to hear the news that I forgot to confirm that is includes a new oil pump as well.

Apparently it's being brought into Canada from somewhere in MI.

I wonder what's going to happen to the old block. Wouldn't mind turning it into a Top Gear coffee table.

Either way, relieved I'm making some progress before summer is totally over.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

So just got the call from the dealer earlier this afternoon.

GM is giving me a new motor. Brand new heads and block. Was so relieved to hear the news that I forgot to confirm that is includes a new oil pump as well.

Apparently it's being brought into Canada from somewhere in MI.

I wonder what's going to happen to the old block. Wouldn't mind turning it into a Top Gear coffee table.

Either way, relieved I'm making some progress before summer is totally over.
That's great news that your getting a new engine and GM is stepping up to the plate. I take it you had an extended GMPP Warranty or other type of warranty?

Best of luck to you on everything gonig smoothly from here on out!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 08-14-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:16 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
akira88
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
That's great news that your getting a new engine and GM is stepping up to the plate. I take it you had an extended GMPP Warranty or other type of warrant?

Best of luck to you on everything gonig smoothly from here on out!
No additionally warranty. Don't know if it's the same down South, but in Canada we have a 60K km bumper to bumper warranty, and then a 5 year 100K km powertrain directly with GM. I'm sure it's similar in the US.

My powertrain warranty actually expired this week, so glad that the conversation happened before, otherwise I'm sure the tone and manner from GM would be totally different.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
That's great news that your getting a new engine and GM is stepping up to the plate. I take it you had an extended GMPP Warranty or other type of warranty?
The OP said that there was a week left on the warranty, he's probably at the tail end of his 5/100.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems and the uphill battle to get them resolved.

I too have my car in the shop. Its been 25-30 days now, but what pisses me off so $%^& much is the service guy says he will call, but he never does. I have been going down there every saturday to physically look at the car to check status.

Now the service manager is good, he caught an issue after they "fixed it" by test driving the car before I came to pick it up. The issue started out just like yours. They replaced the broken rocker arms and the service manager said it still wasn't right. Glad to be a customer of that dealer from that standpoint.

Car was due back yesterday, stealer never called. Still hasn't called.

So far they have replaced the heads with brand new ones which includes valves, springs, rockers and they also replaced the cam and harmonic balancer (probably not related).

My car has 36K miles and the valves were worn out to .009 with a spec of .0030 (don't quote me on the exact spec ). That was the real issue, the rest of the parts were all being replaced because of the damage from the worn valves.

My question to the stealer was "What is the fix". They don't have one Looks like an expensive motor to maintain as I will have to check the heads/valves again in 20k.

The stealer also considered replacing the motor, but at $18,600 it made more sense to repair the one I had.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

No additionally warranty. Don't know if it's the same down South, but in Canada we have a 60K km bumper to bumper warranty, and then a 5 year 100K km powertrain directly with GM. I'm sure it's similar in the US.

My powertrain warranty actually expired this week, so glad that the conversation happened before, otherwise I'm sure the tone and manner from GM would be totally different.
Great timing, congrats on the new LS7...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
The OP said that there was a week left on the warranty, he's probably at the tail end of his 5/100.
Yep. GM will only warrant what warranty remains on the car. When that ends it's done.

OP...congrats....you referred to the old block. GM usually has those shipped to one of their locations. Very unusual for one to 'get away'...by the sound of it, it's likely bound for recycling....big chunk of aluminum there...

Let us know when you get it back....tell them you want a NEW oil cooler as well. Do NOT allow them to reuse the old one. Could have shavings in it. Also remind them to refill tranny.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jsilvz

^^^^

WOW, jsilvz, that's what I have to say regarding the smoking babe in your Avatar!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
akira88
Advanced

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Sorry to hear about the problems and the uphill battle to get them resolved.

I too have my car in the shop. Its been 25-30 days now, but what pisses me off so $%^& much is the service guy says he will call, but he never does. I have been going down there every saturday to physically look at the car to check status.

Now the service manager is good, he caught an issue after they "fixed it" by test driving the car before I came to pick it up. The issue started out just like yours. They replaced the broken rocker arms and the service manager said it still wasn't right. Glad to be a customer of that dealer from that standpoint.

Car was due back yesterday, stealer never called. Still hasn't called.

So far they have replaced the heads with brand new ones which includes valves, springs, rockers and they also replaced the cam and harmonic balancer (probably not related).

My car has 36K miles and the valves were worn out to .009 with a spec of .0030 (don't quote me on the exact spec ). That was the real issue, the rest of the parts were all being replaced because of the damage from the worn valves.

My question to the stealer was "What is the fix". They don't have one Looks like an expensive motor to maintain as I will have to check the heads/valves again in 20k.

The stealer also considered replacing the motor, but at $18,600 it made more sense to repair the one I had.
Sweet baby jesus...I knew it was expensive, but didn't know it was close to $19 grand.

As you said (and what other's have eluded to on the forum), there is no "fix". Seems that some are luckier than others when it comes to the LS7. I just hope mine holds it together for another 4-5 years. After that, I'll unload it for a C7Z.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Sweet baby jesus...I knew it was expensive, but didn't know it was close to $19 grand.

As you said (and what other's have eluded to on the forum), there is no "fix". Seems that some are luckier than others when it comes to the LS7. I just hope mine holds it together for another 4-5 years. After that, I'll unload it for a C7Z.
Its summer now and next year is when the C7 will come out. Now is the best time for me to sell, so thats the plan. Would love to keep it, its so much fun to roll through the gears and go WOT (on streets of mexico). Plus its SEXY as hell!!! Price of admission went over budget with this valve problem

Get notified of new replies

To Might get a new motor

Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

I would not buy the c7 until at lease 3rd production year or 3rd year of the more performance models
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice going! Wish you had GMPP, as that would be one more good thing to add to its reputation... Report how that new motor feels when you get it back. Some here have said that after getting a new crate motor their cars feel much stronger. Most likely is placebo...but I digress...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Just had my LS7 replaced in my 2011 Carbon,,, what a nightmare.
US imported car that didn't meet GM Canada warranty due to
not enough KMs on it,, I had 9500kms when it let go, the requirement is
12000kms,, had to ship it Buffalo.. anyhow 6 weeks later I've got it back. I didn't see the total but the service rep mentioned it was
over $20k to replace,, new motor and oil system,
#5-6 rod bearings spun and severe damage to all connecting rods, cam,
lifters. Still no root cause to what happened.

good luck on your repair

Quick Reply: [Z06] Might get a new motor