Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Cyber Z06
Your comment made me smile because you acknowledged him
and there for You are a Believer! God Bless You brother ...and remember, Even if you feel it to be Respectful
Not to include him in your Pursuit here on this forum, I promise
you it will ONLY make things easier if you involve him

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
Philippians 4:6 (NKJV)

“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
Luke 11:9-10 (NKJV)

I will answer them before they even call to me.
While they are still talking about their needs,
I will go ahead and answer their prayers!
Isaiah 65:24 (NLT)

While I appreciate your quotes of the scriptures, I'm not sure just what your point is.

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." Matthew 10:14

I'm not ready to do that just yet.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 AM
Matt Cyber Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
While I appreciate your quotes of the scriptures, I'm not sure just what your point is.

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." Matthew 10:14

I'm not ready to do that just yet.
Great Scripture-- Very fortunately though, Those words (scripture)
are directed to the Apostles (and us) on speaking and sharing the Gospel of JESUS.

The point of Scriptures I shared is to Motivate you to get God Involved in "ALL" things

Even, car troubles
Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

are directed to the Apostles (and us) on speaking and sharing the Gospel of JESUS.

The point of Scriptures I shared is to Motivate you to get God Involved in "ALL" things

Even, car troubles
Well I will bear that in mind Matt Cyber Z06.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 AM
Peter Clark
5th Gear

2006 Z06
Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves now fitted with FB guides. Changed due to being at limit of wiggle test at 20k miles.
Located in Devon England

Last edited by Peter Clark; 04-22-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Peter Clark
2006 Z06
Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves now fitted with FB guides. Changed due to being at limit of wiggle test at 20k miles.
Located in Devon England
Thanks for posting up Peter

I'll add you.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know guys, I look at this and I think "What really is the effort worth?" The effort being made by some to derail this thread. What an exercise in futility. This battle is already won. I say "won" because people are not stupid, and are taking the necessary steps to protect/defend themselves.
Effort...really it's not that much effort but I appreciate the sentiment. It took me about two minutes to make my last post because it only contains facts and the facts are not that complicated or numerous, two more minutes for this post.

You on the other hand need to be applauded for all your effort because it is far far far greater than any I have ever made. Your post count on this thread alone, never mind word count, demonstrates a mind boggling amount of effort, one which I cannot even begin to comprehend, why, is it really worth the insane amount effort???

Your comment about winning is a telling one...I prefer to spend my time on this forum learning and sharing factual information, but each to his own

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I just added Peter, and as I was doing it, I thought again about how impressive it is to see that some of the owners in other countries, are addressing this issue in the same way.

When I started this out, I expected to come across a handful of cars from a few major cities, towns and hamlets.

I never expected to see that it was being done on this wide of a scale, but it makes sense.

LS 7 engines from what I can tell, can apparently be difficult and expensive to obtain outside if the continental United States.

Thus people appear to be taking thus step to avoid being in the position if having to procure one.

Keep the reports coming guys, and good luck.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-22-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] The people who have the money to concern themselves with "valve bounce", the "engineers" and other elitists, are not going to be amongst the grass roots segment of Z06 ownership.
. . . anti-intellectualism at its best.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Another example
Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark2009
I wouldn't normally consider myself an elitist but apparently this is the unfortunate 'cost' of recognising I am not likely to be immune from the laws of physics

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I just added Peter, and as I was doing it, I thought again about how impressive it is to see that some of the owners in other countries, are addressing this issue in the same way.

When I started this out, I expected to come across a handful of cars from a few major cities, towns and hamlets.

I never expected to see that it was being done on this wide of a scale, but it makes sense.

LS 7 engines from what I can tell, can apparently be difficult and expensive to obtain outside if the continental United States.

Thus people appear to be taking thus step to avoid being in the position if having to procure one.

Keep the reports coming guys, and good luck.
Ricky

I just got an email from one of our Canadian members. He wants to do exactly what I have done. I told him to call Richard at WCCH. So look forward to another international addition to your listing

DH
Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Ricky

I just got an email from one of our Canadian members. He wants to do exactly what I have done. I told him to call Richard at WCCH. So look forward to another international addition to your listing

DH
Looking forward to hearing from him Howie.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Fellas, A fool and his money are soon parted
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Fellas, A fool and his money are soon parted
This fool would rather part with $4300(total cost for new PRC265 heads, gaskets, head bolts, plugs, coolant, oil, labor, etc) than part with $17,000+ for a new engine, installed, because of a fist sized hole in the side of the block of the old one.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
This fool would rather part with $4300(total cost for new PRC265 heads, gaskets, head bolts, plugs, coolant, oil, labor, etc) than part with $17,000+ for a new engine, installed, because of a fist sized hole in the side of the block of the old one.
Assuming you began with GM heads which had the QC machining issue this would be a wise way to proceed because it is unlikely the PRC heads would have the same machining issue.

You could also go with something like the new TFS head for the LS7, BUT be advised that if you were to use the TFS head they come with SS valves and as a result limit themselves to an absolute high of 6700 rpm for a rev limit. I got this information directly from the chief of their dyno operations who said they would have to place their limit lower IF they were as unwise as to not use a good beehive spring with an aftermarket cam.

I've said it before, it's hard to get a worse combination of parts for the LS7 than dual springs with heavy SS valves AND an aftermarket cam...and just because someone can produce a list of a few guys from all over the world who have chosen such a bad cocktail of parts (assuming one wished to continue to use the 7100 rpm limit of the LS7) doesn't been the laws of physics suddenly become null and void.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Assuming you began with GM heads which had the QC machining issue this would be a wise way to proceed because it is unlikely the PRC heads would have the same machining issue.

You could also go with something like the new TFS head for the LS7, BUT be advised that if you were to use the TFS head they come with SS valves and as a result limit themselves to an absolute high of 6700 rpm for a rev limit. I got this information directly from the chief of their dyno operations who said they would have to place their limit lower IF they were as unwise as to not use a good beehive spring with an aftermarket cam.

I've said it before, it's hard to get a worse combination of parts for the LS7 than dual springs with heavy SS valves AND an aftermarket cam...and just because someone can produce a list of a few guys from all over the world who have chosen such a bad cocktail of parts (assuming one wished to continue to use the 7100 rpm limit of the LS7) doesn't been the laws of physics suddenly become null and void.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul,

How much horsepower are you actually loosing by not spinning the car up to 7100 rpm verse's 6700 rpm? Second when you shift at 7100 rpm are you lifting or keeping your right foot planted to floor?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Svre46
Pro

I reused my stock castings. A competent machine shop will verify clearances, valve seat etc... Total cost was right under $1100 bucks with machining, SS valves, PRC springs etc. I chose this route vs. new castings. Machining plus labor was right under $1800 bucks through a forum vendor.

I will say I wish I did a little milling and porting. At the time I wanted to keep it stock but that went out the window a week after having it back. I threw a cam in her myself and had the car re-tuned.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Paul,

How much horsepower are you actually loosing by not spinning the car up to 7100 rpm verse's 6700 rpm? Second when you shift at 7100 rpm are you lifting or keeping your right foot planted to floor?
I think there is an example of a car built like his in here which has already dropped a valve.

Yeah, here it is.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1579167017

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1579173826

Same people built this car using the stock valves, built his. That's why his screen name is what it is.

Consider that above car when you think of taking advice from him on this matter.

Looks to me like it might be better for him to concern himself with his own setup, as opposed to ours.

Do yourself a favor and don't feed the trolls FSTFRC.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-22-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Even, car troubles

I always enjoyed Proverbs 16:18

Old 04-22-2014, 02:17 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Paul,

None, in fact you're gunna be making LESS hp at 7100 than you are at 6700, BUT you're loosing a boat load of hp AFTER the shift because of how much lower in the rpm band you drop.

Cheers, Paul.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?