Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Long Have People Been Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves in the LS7?

Old 12-24-2012, 07:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Richard sent me an email today. My heads arrived and will be inspected by Thursday.

First year will get 25K miles and at least 10 track days

DH
Things are moving faster for you than I thought Howie.

Good luck my friend and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Hard to understand all the drama here...From my reading Random is not saying S.S. valves are not a solution to OEM valves dumping..He seems honestly trying to suggest that since the Science/Technology of why certain cars are experiencing the problem is not known we need to keep an open mind..Seems very logical and smart..

Whether he owns a ZO6 or not is immaterial.. I have not seen where he has said S.S. valves is not a solution..Maybe I missed it and I will yield if he has..My reading of his posts suggets he is throwing caution that if it turns out either QC or Geometry or some unknown reason is found as the root cause or causes he is unwilling at this time to concur S.S. valves is the solution..How can anyone disagree with this?

On the other hand Quick argues he/others felt the necessity and needed to do something now before it bites one in the rear..Also smart..

Why for all the drama??
You've summed it up pretty well - thanks.

Quick just has his panties in a bunch because we disagree [on a few details, and how relevant his revelation is], the "non owner" and related drama is just quintessential rhetoric to detract from my perspective at the expense of degrading me as an individual. It's been his tactic for years; nothing new. If you check out his earlier threads where he was arguing against the valve issue, he took an equally condescending tone to those he disagreed with. In this thread alone, you can read through and his tone changes with any dissention (with the last few pages being particularly vitriolic). For Quick, it's not so much about the context of my posts as it it's about being right.

In short, the internet has a knack for inflating/dramatizing situations where, in reality, we're really not too far off. It's just ego / people being *******s. Again, nothing much new here - par for the course.

Enough of this for the Holidays, I think.

Last edited by Random84; 12-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
You've summed it up pretty well - thanks.

Quick just has his panties in a bunch because we disagree [on a few details, and how relevant his revelation is], the "non owner" and related drama is just quintessential rhetoric to detract from my perspective at the expense of degrading me as an individual.
Degrade you as an individual? Get real. I don't even know you. You came into this thread, despite the words to stay out of it if you had a problem with the concept of using solid stainless valves as a means of addressing the valve issue in the LS7, elected to stay in it, attempted to argue, and could not do so effectively because you don't have your facts in order.

When it became apparent, that the use of solid stainless valves, in stock LS7 heads, albeit for other reasons than addressing the valve issue, had been employed for even longer than I had originally suspected, from the information in the posting by LGM, and that they had done over 100 cars alone and those cars were still running, it dealt a severe blow, a crushing blow, to your position that the use of SS valves in the LS7 was an "unproven" practice, in terms of reliability, and sounded the death knell for that position. It became impossible to argue that these valves were untested and unproven in the LS7.

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I asked Richard (WCCH) about these and his new DelWest exhaust valves which will be available at the end of the month. Right now he said use the SS because it is WELL PROVEN

DH
And the "well proven" part in the above, was put into bold print by Howie, not I.

So now two vendors indicate that these valves have been proven in terms of durability in the LS7. The discussion, simply didn't go your way.

In short, you lost a debate you were told, indeed begged, to stay clear of, indeed avoid starting altogether, in the first place. I asked that those with a problem with the information which I uncovered and alluded to, kindly stay out and let those of us who were interested, to have a discussion. You stayed, tried to stir things up.

That's all that has happened here.

Nobody has "degraded" you. You simply can't defend the position that solid SS valves are "untested and unproven" in the LS7, which is what you had attempted to do. And now that you got thumped, you want to holler foul.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

You tried to argue that they were untested and unproven, you lost that argument, get over it. Because they are, over these last 7 years, having been in use since 2005, tested and proven to work and work well, in LS7 applications. So some of all of the talk about valve float, and other such, can now be offset, by the actual 7 year historical record and field testing already done, using SS valves in LS7 heads.

I know you don't like that fact, but, well, it is a fact. Don't feel bad though........I can recall a time not too long ago, when, like you, I didn't like to admit that either. But eventually the facts prevailed.

But most importantly, because of this thread, many people contemplating the switch to SS exhaust valves, can now see, that it is not a practice which just sprung up overnight, and has "no track record of reliability", like you have been trying to argue since you got here.

People can make up their own minds, and not be mislead that the use of solid SS valves in the LS7, is "unproven" in terms of reliability.

That is all I was trying to do.

Originally Posted by Random84
It's been his tactic for years; nothing new. If you check out his earlier threads where he was arguing against the valve issue, he took an equally condescending tone to those he disagreed with. In this thread alone, you can read through and his tone changes with any dissention (with the last few pages being particularly vitriolic). For Quick, it's not so much about the context of my posts as it it's about being right.

In short, the internet has a knack for inflating/dramatizing situations where, in reality, we're really not too far off. It's just ego / people being *******s. Again, nothing much new here - par for the course.

Enough of this for the Holidays, I think.

Originally Posted by zman62
In life there are spectators and players. Spectators always like to criticize the players actions however they never accomplish anything from the sideline.

The players have made a plan and executed it to hedge against a motor letting go. Others just complain and do nothing.
I could not say it any better zman.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Things are moving faster for you than I thought Howie.

Good luck my friend and Happy Holidays.
Back at ya

Should have more guide wear data by end of week.

DH
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
was bored today so roaming the websites and noticed the builds that LMR does, the ones that include the heads i.e. Slayer, Reaper or whatever they're called.......the customers get Titanium Intake valves and wait for it..........all the exhaust valves are...............wait, wait......................yup, StainlessSteel
Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
What a shock a company that actually builds high HP and some of the fastest LS cars uses them
LMR's website indicates that they have four Z06 packages:

1. The 560 HP Street Stalker which makes no mention of head or cam work.

2. The 630 HP Slayer which mentions a "cam package".

3. The 700 HP Reaper which mentions head work including stainless steel exhaust valves.

4. The 750+ HP Punisher which starts with a 440 CID short block and includes the heads from the 700 HP package.

Last edited by Mark2009; 12-24-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
LMR's website indicates that they have four Z06 packages:

1. The 560 HP Street Stalker which makes no mention of head or cam work.

2. The 630 HP Slayer which mentions a "cam package".

3. The 700 HP Reaper which mentions head work including stainless steel exhaust valves.

4. The 750+ HP Punisher which starts with a 440 CID short block and includes the heads from the 700 HP package.
Yup.......I did say the ones that includes headwork
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Getting closer to being a member of the SS Valve Club.

Heads should be done next Friday. If so I will go down and pick them up. I will take some pictures of my heads and of the WCCH facilities.

My core heads had some intake guides in spec but some exhaust guides over .015, beyond what Richard can measure. These heads are from an 06 with only 16K miles on them.

DH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] How Long Have People Been Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves in the LS7?