Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Air Dam Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM
wcgetz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Air Dam Damage

Hi all,

Any help is greatly appreciated. Today I was forced off of the road and the passenger front end of my 2007 Z06 got damaged. The splitter needs replacing - very simple with 13 screws and I already removed it. The more challenging issue is the passenger side air dam. It got pushed up about 1.5 inches where the air dam attaches to the center piece. I can't tell how much damage actually exists but were it not for the bent rubber air dam I wouldn't even have noticed. Does anyone know what is up there. I'm tempted to remove the driver side air dam section just leaving the center section and you wouldn't notice anything unusual.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

At least one of the forum vendors carries those air dam pieces- most of them probably do. They tend to get beat up over time anyway. Since you need to get a new splitter you may as well order the air dam pieces at the same time. Sorry, but I've never looked closely at how they attach so I can't help you there.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

i think it's only three clips which hold each pc.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM
wcgetz
7th Gear

Thanks. The problem is that the mounting bracket for the air dam was pushed up about 1.5 inches on the passenger side by the center attachment point - I removed the plastic air dam and it is fine. I have it on a lift and am going to try to pull the bracket back down but I can't see what is up there because the valence seals it up pretty tightly. Not sure if I need to get a repair shop involved - just trying to figure out if there are any critical components up in there.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by wcgetz
Thanks. The problem is that the mounting bracket for the air dam was pushed up about 1.5 inches on the passenger side by the center attachment point - I removed the plastic air dam and it is fine. I have it on a lift and am going to try to pull the bracket back down but I can't see what is up there because the valence seals it up pretty tightly. Not sure if I need to get a repair shop involved - just trying to figure out if there are any critical components up in there.
It's easy to take the fender liner off and you will be able to see everything (wheel off makes it much easier). It comes off using a small torx socket. The brake cooling duct and wiring for the lights is on the outer portion, then there is a metal brace and the horns are mounted inborn of the brace. If the part that is pushed up is just forward of the air dam then there really isn't much there unless it is inboard enough to get to the plastic blocker that is at the outer side of the grill opening on either side. Hopefully you didn't get anything pushed up in the the lights.

Last edited by AzDave47; 01-06-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
wcgetz
7th Gear

Great feedback. I was able to open the brake ductwork and get to the bent bracket - exactly what you said next to the horn. Relatively easy to bend back using a lift. Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by wcgetz
Great feedback. I was able to open the brake ductwork and get to the bent bracket - exactly what you said next to the horn. Relatively easy to bend back using a lift. Thanks again!
I put 4" brake ducts from the side of the grill thru into that area and connected the ducting to the factory ducts with the first 3" cut off. I had to relocate the horn to the outer side of that bracket, so I've been in there before.

I'm glad that all worked out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Air Dam Damage

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Air Dam Damage