Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My valve guides are shot. I'm in warranty and don't know what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

How many miles where on her when purchased?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Erik,
Just want to do a sanity check here. I thought I saw you dial indicator move to 15 on the scale, from what I can see the increments are listed as 0.001 inches. That would make your measured valve slop 0.015 or fifteen thousanths. That's still outta spec but an order of magnitude better.

I'm no expert but the rocker arm wear doesn't appear too bad for that much slop...Maybe other can weigh in on this and qualitatively provide some wear comparison descriptions.
THX
B
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM
"NO SHOW"
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost worth the piece of mind to send your heads off or go with an aftermarket set of heads. I am curious as to the route you take. I would have a hard time putting the boost to it through stock heads. I purchased my Z with the thoughts of buying a car and leaving it stock because of the power the Z's make, however sadly thats not going to be the case. I will be pulling the heads and either sending them in WCCH or purchasing aftermarket heads and doing a mild cam swap at the same time.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
So I am in possession of John_G famous tool to measure geometry.

I've been traveling back and forth between TN and NC before I go on extended travel outside the Country.

First I pulled the spark plugs and most of them looked dry. There were two that had some oil on the threads.

Then after removing the rockers I thought things were looking good, as the wear pattern seemed to be rectangular. But, I couldn’t stop there, I had to measure the actual clearance because I want to modify the engine. I bought am Edelbrock E-Force last year, and have been holding off on the install because of these valve issues. Good thing I did.

Since the exhaust valves seen to have the most wear, I removed the #1 exhaust spring, lifted the valve off the seat a little and measured the clearance. .150” Yes that is correct. You can visibly see the movement in the valve. You don't need a dial gauge to tell you that it's shot.

Then I move on to #5, and check the intake. Yep, don't need a dial gauge here either.

#5 exhaust is next

At this point, I really didn’t want to check any more, but thought I would check the other side, so I check cylinder #4

Yep. Its shot too at .100"

And a few pictures of the wear pattern on the valve stems. Looks like a good wipe pattern for the most part.

So with 36238 miles, what do I do?

I'm still in my warranty window of 4/48 for a CPO. But haven’t had any good experience with a dealer doing any major repair. That’s another threat in itself. Do I take the chance of some kid doing a hack job repair at the dealer, or should I just embrace the suck, and sent my heads off for repair, and have the peace of mind that it is done right?

BTW, thanks to John_G. I wouldn’t have started this unless I had the tool to measure my geometry, which measured good, by the way.
I would let the dealer repair it. They will do a good job and GM will cover the cost. Sounds like you would get two new heads. Put it back together and drive it to the dealer and have them check it. Replacing heads isn't rocket science and whether it is a kid doing the job or an old hand the job will be done well. The kid may actually do a better job since he can see better, his back doesn't ache as much when bending over a car and he doesn't have arthritis in the hands yet.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-21-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm in the process of uploading the geometry measurements, and going to send them to John_G for definitive confirmation of geometry.

I will be replacing my heads with PRC 265cc LS7s and maybe down the road I can make the measurements on mine. I will be interested to see what John comments about your measurements.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So I am in possession of John_G famous tool to measure geometry.
I'd like to perform this procedure on my 2007 Z06 and document the results as you have.

I understand the down to the point where I get to the valve springs and plugs removed. I've R&R the heads on a C5, so I'm familiar with the process, but I R&R'ed the valves/seals/springs with the head off the car.

1) What tool(s)/procedure did you use to compress the valve spring?
2) How did you keep the valve from falling:
a) when you were wiggling (you mentioned 'wrapped' valves to keep them from falling?)
b) when you re-installed the spring.

3) Is the measurement tool one you made or bought?

Thanks in advance and I hope to perform these tests soon. The more of us that do, the more proof we will have that this ISN'T HYPE.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I am making arrangements to have the wiggle test done on my 09Z that just turned 30k miles. Bone stock except for a set of 20's. Not tracked at all. Dealership said couple hours labor. If bad, warranty will pay and a new set of heads. Probably will happen some time this week.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would send them off and have the heads worked an be done with it. the dealer would put new heads on but it may happen again
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Valve Train Noise

Hey erick, did you have excessive valve train noise, or was it quiet as a stock LS7?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Hey erick, did you have excessive valve train noise, or was it quiet as a stock LS7?
I'm interested too, but I would caution that sometimes the ticking noise some people complain about especially at around 2000 rpm could be this:

08-06-01-019: Rattle/Tapping Type Noise Heard Under Hood (Diagnose and Replace Engine Oil Tank Transfer Tube Seal (O-Ring)) - (Aug 13, 2008)

Subject: Rattle/Tapping Type Noise Heard Under Hood (Diagnose and Replace Engine Oil Tank Transfer Tube Seal (O-Ring))

Models: 2006-2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 with 6.2L or 7.0L Engine (VINs R, E -- RPOs LS9, LS7)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a rattle or tapping type noise that is heard under the hood at just above idle, usually 1200 to 2200 RPM. In some cases, this noise may also be heard on the inside of the vehicle and be more pronounced on the passenger side.

Cause

This noise may be caused by the internal transfer tube in the engine oil tank hitting the inside of the tank cover. The seal (o-ring) that secures the tube in place may split and slide down the tube allowing the tube to be loose.

Correction

Diagnose the noise by raising the vehicle on a hoist and holding the throttle at about 1500 RPM to duplicate the condition.

Use a stethoscope or chassis ears and place them on the side of the engine oil tank. If the noise is detected, perform the procedure outlined below. If the noise is not detected, continue following published diagnostics in SI.

Remove the engine oil tank from the vehicle. Refer to the Oil Tank Replacement procedure in SI.

Remove the eight bolts that secure the tank top.

Separate the tank. Check the seal (o-ring) for proper position and damage. Replace the seal (o-ring) if damaged with P/N 24576940.

Reinstall the tank top and secure with the eight bolts.
Install the engine oil tank into the vehicle.
Refer to the Oil Tank Replacement procedure in SI.
I only say that because it seems valve train noise isn't a reliable indicator that there is or isn't a problem.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rock36
I'm interested too, but I would caution that sometimes the ticking noise some people complain about especially at around 2000 rpm could be this:

I only say that because it seems valve train noise isn't a reliable indicator that there is or isn't a problem.
Does anyone have an example of the oil tank ticking? I would think it would not be in the same "time" as valvetrain noise and not increase linearly with RPM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by john_g_46
Eric,

You don't have the numbers to know if your geometry is good or bad. You have consistent measurements but they may be consistently bad. I need you to send the numbers to me. I have an Excel spread sheet with good and bad measurements.

I see brown crescents and round edges on the wear marks on the rockers. Both are indicative of bad geometry. As oily as two of those plugs are, the seals of those cylinders are shot as well.

John
John, Thanks.

UPDATE: I spoke with John yesterday, and my numbers confirmed that my heads fall in the range with bad geometry. I was under the impression that if all the numbers were the same, that they were good. However John has a chart with several measurements to compare against good heads.

Originally Posted by troller399
4/48 CPO are you the original owner?
No, I purchased it Certified Pre-Owned in 2011

Originally Posted by troller399
How many miles where on her when purchased?
19500 when I purchased it in July 2011. .

Originally Posted by RFE-57
Hi Erik,
Just want to do a sanity check here. I thought I saw you dial indicator move to 15 on the scale, from what I can see the increments are listed as 0.001 inches. That would make your measured valve slop 0.015 or fifteen thousanths. That's still outta spec but an order of magnitude better.

I'm no expert but the rocker arm wear doesn't appear too bad for that much slop...Maybe other can weigh in on this and qualitatively provide some wear comparison descriptions.
THX
B
You are correct. I was tired and frustrated after seeing the results and wanted to post something. Just forgot the decimal point. I will correct it in the original post.

Originally Posted by jedblanks
I'd like to perform this procedure on my 2007 Z06 and document the results as you have.

I understand the down to the point where I get to the valve springs and plugs removed. I've R&R the heads on a C5, so I'm familiar with the process, but I R&R'ed the valves/seals/springs with the head off the car.

1) What tool(s)/procedure did you use to compress the valve spring?
2) How did you keep the valve from falling:
a) when you were wiggling (you mentioned 'wrapped' valves to keep them from falling?)
b) when you re-installed the spring.

3) Is the measurement tool one you made or bought?

Thanks in advance and I hope to perform these tests soon. The more of us that do, the more proof we will have that this ISN'T HYPE.
1) John included a spring compressor in the kit he sends you, however I have a LSM valve spring compressor that works rather well.

2a) I rotated the cylinder to TDC, which was rather easy since I removed all the spark plugs and you can see when the valves are closed, but when I added compressed air in the cylinder to assist in keeping the valves on the guides the engine rotated to BDC. So I just tired a small zip tie on the valve where the valve locks would be. This is not needed I the cylinder remains at TDC since the valves will only fall about ½”.

2b) The compressed air held the valves in place.

3) The "tool" was made by John_g_46

No valve train noise that was noticeably out of the ordinary. I will post up a video clip later.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Eric

It looks like that on at least 2 of the rockers that the wear pattern almost goes off the corner of the tip. Check the play in the rocker shaft trunion bearings. I will bet you will find they are excessive. Also on the LS7 if you rotate the cylinder to TDC that you are working on you do not need air to remove the valve springs or to check the valves in the guides. Just DO NOT turn the crank until you put the springs back on!!

I would do what z51vett suggest and call Jim Ellis and get it taken care of under warrantee unless you want to void the remainder of your current warrantee.

Mark
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 08VRZ06
[...] Also on the LS7 if you rotate the cylinder to TDC that you are working on you do not need air to remove the valve springs [...]
You will need something to hold the valve against its seat while the locks are being removed, and again while they are being reinstalled.

I had no issue w/100 PSI air, thru an adapter designed for the purpose, pushing the piston down. What did you use for an air source, Eric? A 3500 PSI bottle of nitrogen?

Last edited by Mark2009; 01-22-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

1) John included a spring compressor in the kit he sends you, however I have a LSM valve spring compressor that works rather well.

2a) I rotated the cylinder to TDC, which was rather easy since I removed all the spark plugs and you can see when the valves are closed, but when I added compressed air in the cylinder to assist in keeping the valves on the guides the engine rotated to BDC. So I just tired a small zip tie on the valve where the valve locks would be. This is not needed I the cylinder remains at TDC since the valves will only fall about ½”.

2b) The compressed air held the valves in place.

3) The "tool" was made by John_g_46
When you took the video I didn't see the hose on the spark plug so I didn't know how you were keeping it from falling. I guess you had the cylinder back at TDC by that point.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08VRZ06
Eric

It looks like that on at least 2 of the rockers that the wear pattern almost goes off the corner of the tip. Check the play in the rocker shaft trunion bearings. I will bet you will find they are excessive. Also on the LS7 if you rotate the cylinder to TDC that you are working on you do not need air to remove the valve springs or to check the valves in the guides. Just DO NOT turn the crank until you put the springs back on!!

I would do what z51vett suggest and call Jim Ellis and get it taken care of under warrantee unless you want to void the remainder of your current warrantee.

Mark
I took a couple more pictures of the witness mark after John told me that the oil will disolve the sharpie marker. My first ones were dry when I ran cranked the engine over.

I have what I consider significant lateral movement in the rocker arms. I would guess 3/32" from left to right, but do not have any radial movement.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mark200X
You will need something to hold the valve against its seat while the locks are being removed, and again while they are being reinstalled.

I had no issue w/100 PSI air, thru an adapter designed for the purpose, pushing the piston down. What did you use for an air source, Eric? A 3500 PSI bottle of nitrogen?
No, I used 110 psi of air pressure. My nitrogen tank, which hold about 3500 psi, is empty and needs filled.

Get notified of new replies

To My valve guides are shot. I'm in warranty and don't know what to do.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

I took a two minute clip of the engine upon startup, from idle to 3000 RPM.

There is no video, only audio, as I sat my phone on the hood to record the clip.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for posting the recording.

Sounds louder than mine, but really hard to tell.

I plan on having mine checked soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

No, I used 110 psi of air pressure. My nitrogen tank, which hold about 3500 psi, is empty and needs filled.
Just yankin' on yer chain a li'l bit

Next time put it in gear. And set the parking brake

Quick Reply: [Z06] My valve guides are shot. I'm in warranty and don't know what to do.