Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Which exhaust valve to get...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
One should not have confidence in believing they have solved a problem until you know why it broke..
Exactly, my first thought was "Why did it happen in this particular case?"

It can happen in modified engines, tuned engines, over exerted engines, but why in the case of none of the above?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Exactly, my first thought was "Why did it happen in this particular case?"

It can happen in modified engines, tuned engines, over exerted engines, but why in the case of none of the above?
Likely for the same reason in happened in all the other engines -- something's wrong. Some day it will be figured out. Or, perhaps it's already been figured out and some day it will be revealed.

In the meantime, it is looking more and more like sloppy machining.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Likely for the same reason in happened in all the other engines -- something's wrong. Some day it will be figured out. Or, perhaps it's already been figured out and some day it will be revealed.

In the meantime, it is looking more and more like sloppy machining.

If this is a perfect Guide
||

This is Sloppy machining
\ \ or / / or | |
Incorrect angle, or too loose.

But what we are seeing is
} { or / \ or \ /
Hourglass, top, or bottom wear
Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

A non-concentric seat, a product of sloppy machining, will give you excessive side loading on the stem from the bottom, like this: / \

I can only presume that some type of guide installation error will give you this (seen on a new set of heads): ( )

Excessive side loading on the stem from the top (rocker) as a result of some type of geometry issue can give you this: ) (

I'm sure that we've covered all this territory already. All those examples boil down to sloppy machining, or sloppy machine work if you like.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
As we are seeking any and all data, Howie, we'd love to hear. Honestly, I can't logically think that it would matter more than like 5 hp, certainly not likely to be noticeable in that case as a fart from a rabbit near the track could skew it more, but will be nice to hear your input after. I'm more thinking, I know I trap at 133.6-8 in the 1/4 consistently, if I went SS would I be 133.6, 133.5, 131? That's an unknown but less important anyhow. I only touched on it as the "penalty" is unknown. Was simply trying to illustrate that..
I usually have a bunch of stuff to do after a track day. I have to post our event download threads for the Corvette Challenge and also post up my track videos. So if you don't hear back from me by monday shoot me a reminder. I definitley want to share my experience

DH
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mark200X
A non-concentric seat, a product of sloppy machining, will give you excessive side loading on the stem from the bottom, like this: / \

I can only presume that some type of guide installation error will give you this (seen on a new set of heads): ( )

Excessive side loading on the stem from the top (rocker) as a result of some type of geometry issue can give you this: ) (
We are seeing primarily the third case, but also the top only wear. The second case just seems out of left field. Theoretcally possible but I don't think we have any like this.

I don't know if we have seen any seat machining issues, but maybe you have examples.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jedblanks
We are seeing primarily the third case, but also the top only wear. The second case just seems out of left field. Theoretcally possible but I don't think we have any like this.

I don't know if we have seen any seat machining issues, but maybe you have examples.
Charlie @ RPM measured a set of new (pre-inspection) heads; the guide clearance was more in the middle than at the top and bottom in one of the heads. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ls7-heads.html

There have been several reports of seat concentricity, or runout, exceeding spec. Offhand the spec is about .002, and as much as .005 has been reported in used heads although it is also reported that it is a difficult measurement to accurately make with a worn guide.

I haven't seen any exhaust guides at all that are worn more at the top than the bottom, but it's certainly possible I missed it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Which exhaust valve to get...