Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WCCH Track Data !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I really do not know how many CHE valve guide/Solid SS valve setups we have done, but its been a lot, not including my own personal c6 z... we have not had one valvetrain instability issue or RPMing issue... My own personal (well my close friend bought it) c6 z runs a .661 lift cam with an aggressive Ramp rate on lobe, with the appropiate setup dual spring. It revs to 7400 rpm clean, has 20+ tracks days on it, and while making 640 rwhp! There is a lot of naysayers on here with he said/ she said data, and frankly unless you do this for a leaving and have seen things with your own two eyes, please stop trying to disprove things with pure speculation. The solid ss valve method may seem crude, but the results speak for themselves. This method flatout keeps these motors alive under abuse.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Originally Posted by Michael_D, one year ago
Thanks Paul, will do.

I can go on with discussing lobe side weight, but will save that for another day, another thread. In short, my personal opinion is to use a railroad tie for a pushrod if it improves stability, and to hell with the weight as I do not think it matters as much as conventional wisdom would have one believe.

I am in complete agreement with you on the valve weight, as is my head guy. The lightest solid SS valve is 20 grams heavier than the OE ex vlv. That slaughters revs at 7K. Any idiot with a calculator can figure that out...... But if doing that gives folks a piece of mind, then more power to them. I hope to here back today what my hollow stem options are. Most of the blanks come from Argentina, and apparently, there's some unrest in that part of the world that has hindered supply, so there is a six week min lead time on a custom piece. I may have to move to a 5/16" stem if I want to move away from OEM. And I'm inclined to stay OE at this point....
Quick, thanks for posting that link -- lots of great technical info there, and a bonus link inside to a Car Craft article on lifter pump up!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Quick, thanks for posting that link -- lots of great technical info there, and a bonus link inside to a Car Craft article on lifter pump up!
I'm sorry Mark, if I don"t get right back to you, Ryne was saying something important. Go ahead Ryne.

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
I really do not know how many CHE valve guide/Solid SS valve setups we have done, but its been a lot, not including my own personal c6 z... we have not had one valvetrain instability issue or RPMing issue... My own personal (well my close friend bought it) c6 z runs a .661 lift cam with an aggressive Ramp rate on lobe, with the appropiate setup dual spring. It revs to 7400 rpm clean, has 20+ tracks days on it, and while making 640 rwhp! There is a lot of naysayers on here with he said/ she said data, and frankly unless you do this for a leaving and have seen things with your own two eyes, please stop trying to disprove things with pure speculation. The solid ss valve method may seem crude, but the results speak for themselves. This method flatout keeps these motors alive under abuse.
Wow, those are impressive results, and that is very sound advice, and apparently true, because of the success that we are seeing now.
There are several of your own customers out there who have these setups, and each time you do one, your reputation is on the line.

I've said this before, you guys who put food on your tables, and clothes on your kids backs, have a lot to lose if these setups don't work.

As such, I certainly trust your judgement when it comes to this matter.

I am running this setup in my own car, and have the utmost confidence in it.

As you know, we have run the full gamut here. From it's a geometry problem, and the development of a "tool" to determine if one has bad geometry. All the way up to that bastion of scientific research when it comes to this matter, the vaunted "wiggle test".

Oh snap, I'm sorry Mark, go ahead, what were you saying??

Yeah, yeah, yeah, any time, Mark, any time. Go and have fun with that.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-25-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Said "geology", meant to say "geometry"
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I'm not sure which "RPMing issue" you're speaking of... if it's the slow revving issue, then nobody really takes that seriously -- it's just something the solid stainless fanboys dredge up to justify their illogical arguments. If it's the max RPM issue, well then I don't think any hands on training is needed to understand the laws of physics.

Or perhaps those laws are just pure speculation

In any case, I think everyone gets it -- solid stem stainless valves are building up a good track record in the LS7, despite being a pretty radical departure from the OEM design on several fronts. There are not really any engineering tests to determine how well they are working, but they seem to be making good power up to redline without breaking anything. In some circles, that is considered an unqualified success. Congratulations
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I'm sorry Mark, if I don"t get right back to you, Ryne was saying something important. Go ahead Ryne.
I understand, Quick... if it weren't for others saying things, you wouldn't have anything to repeat (often, it seems, incorrectly)

Yeah, yeah, any time, Mark, any time. Go and have fun with that.
Learning, instead of parroting, you mean. Yes, I enjoy learning.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny enough, my builder/tuner said something very similar. When I brought up a lot of this stuff, including the valve weights, he called the forums 'dangerous' and instead of worrying about I read on the internet, he recommended that I listen to the advice of people who do this stuff all day, every day.

Then when I spoke to WCCH not long after, they hands down recommended SS valves over both OE and Ti valves.

Two experts with two very strong recommendations for SS valves. I was previously torn on using the lighter Ti valves but it was pretty clear to me what to do after that.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Michael

I never got involved in those arguments as they were beyond my knowledge base. But they certainly did stick in my mind. And I was concerned enough to querry both my specialty shop (CMS) and WCCH. Richard said it would be impossible to tell a differnce.

I have done what I can to help bring useful data to the forum. I think the sound comparison let guys see that the beefed up heads sound great although technically a little louder.

The only way I had to indirectly prove that my motor is spinning up the same as before was to look at my final speed (which also corresponds to 4th gear redline)at a specific point of the track and compare it to many previous times at the same track.

Do you feel this is a valid methodology ?

DH

Engine acceleration rate can only be quantified with any sort of reliable information on an engine dyno. I would be amazed to see a noteworthy % rate of change with a slightly heavier valve, correct springs and the same camshaft. Swap the cam and that’s a whole different ball game, but more is at play that “just” valve motion when you make those changes. You’d see more of a change in acceleration rate with a different flywheel than just swapping valves. That has not been my argument. My argument is peak RPM. Not fuel cut off rev limited peak RPM, but what the engine can safely spin up to without putting the valve train into the territory of instability. I do not know what the peak RPM is when moving to a heavier valve in this engine, and not getting too crazy with cam profiles and aggressive springs. Until some data can be collected, it is anyone’s guess. About the only thing you can go off of are success stories from others.

Have you ever missed an up shift to second or third at WOT and pegged the fuel cut off?? If so, what RPM did the engine reach?? If it did not climb past 7300 or so, you’re probably OK with your set up. I have seen 7600 before “with my own two eyes”, and that was with the stock fuel cut off settings. That was with an aftermarket cam and springs though.

I don’t do C6 cam swaps or tune cars for a living, so I reckon I better just STFU now. I have no f’ing idea what it is I’m talking about. I have a plane to catch anyway.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

As you know, we have run the full gamut here. From it's a geology problem, and the development of a "tool" to determine if one has bad geology. All the way up to that bastion of scientific research when it comes to this matter, the vaunted "wiggle test".
Quick, surely you know the problem with pretending to be dumb, don't you?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Funny enough, my builder/tuner said something very similar. When I brought up a lot of this stuff, including the valve weights, he called the forums 'dangerous' and instead of worrying about I read on the internet, he recommended that I listen to the advice of people who do this stuff all day, every day. [...]
Interesting... that's what GM said in the latest TSB on the issue. That means there is no valve guide / valve problem at all, right?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

In any case, I think everyone gets it -- solid stem stainless valves are building up a good track record in the LS7, despite being a pretty radical departure from the OEM design on several fronts. There are not really any engineering tests to determine how well they are working, but they seem to be making good power up to redline without breaking anything.
You know, when I think of you being forced to say this above, I recall the story of the dog who swallowed a peach pit from a "green" Georgia peach.

It looked a little something like this:

http://2012photoaday.wordpress.com/2...roject365-219/

Well, the time came, when that peach seed had to be eliminated, and unfortunately for the canine, and as fate would have it, the peach pit, well, it took a sideways orientation at the last minute and at the last few inches prior to it's exit.

Tears streamed from the creature's eyes as he "worked".

I don't know why I thought of that story, when I read what you had to say above, and where you are now forced to admit:

In any case, I think everyone gets it -- solid stem stainless valves are building up a good track record in the LS7, despite being a pretty radical departure from the OEM design on several fronts. There are not really any engineering tests to determine how well they are working, but they seem to be making good power up to redline without breaking anything.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-26-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats Howie - that's gotta be satisfying !

Thanks for the post and thanks Quick for posting the links.

Btw, I'll be going the WCCH route as well, but does anyone know of a Shop
with Cunningham Motorsports' level of expertise in North Florida ?? Thanks -
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

You know, when I think of you being forced to say this [...]
I don't understand why you lie about other people. I really don't. I don't think it impresses anyone, and if it does they would certainly not be the type of people I would want to impress.

Your mileage may vary
Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting... that's what GM said in the latest TSB on the issue. That means there is no valve guide / valve problem at all, right?
Good point.

However, GM clearly has an ulterior motive behind their statement. They don't want to pay up.

While folks like my builder and WCCH don't care which valve I use. They make money on the service, not the parts they're recommending. They were willing to go with whatever valve I wanted, but when I asked them for a recommendation, it was quite clear SS was their preference.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I don't understand why you lie about other people. I really don't. I don't think it impresses anyone, and if it does they would certainly not be the type of people I would want to impress.

Your mileage may vary
When you can't dispute and refute that which is being said, then call it "lies".

Interesting approach Mark.

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Good point.

However, GM clearly has an ulterior motive behind their statement. They don't want to pay up.

While folks like my builder and WCCH don't care which valve I use. They make money on the service, not the parts they're recommending. They were willing to go with whatever valve I wanted, but when I asked them for a recommendation, it was quite clear SS was their preference.
You bring up multiple good points.

The people doing your heads, are going to get paid no matter which valve option you choose.

In fact, they would have gotten paid more had they let you go ahead with, or talked you into, Ti/Mo exhaust valves, but they didn't.

GM OTOH, like you say, has a different motive.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-26-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Engine acceleration rate can only be quantified with any sort of reliable information on an engine dyno. I would be amazed to see a noteworthy % rate of change with a slightly heavier valve, correct springs and the same camshaft. Swap the cam and that’s a whole different ball game, but more is at play that “just” valve motion when you make those changes. You’d see more of a change in acceleration rate with a different flywheel than just swapping valves. That has not been my argument. My argument is peak RPM. Not fuel cut off rev limited peak RPM, but what the engine can safely spin up to without putting the valve train into the territory of instability. I do not know what the peak RPM is when moving to a heavier valve in this engine, and not getting too crazy with cam profiles and aggressive springs. Until some data can be collected, it is anyone’s guess. About the only thing you can go off of are success stories from others.

Have you ever missed an up shift to second or third at WOT and pegged the fuel cut off?? If so, what RPM did the engine reach?? If it did not climb past 7300 or so, you’re probably OK with your set up. I have seen 7600 before “with my own two eyes”, and that was with the stock fuel cut off settings. That was with an aftermarket cam and springs though.

I don’t do C6 cam swaps or tune cars for a living, so I reckon I better just STFU now. I have no f’ing idea what it is I’m talking about. I have a plane to catch anyway.
i sense your sarcasm, but what is your better idea to solve the problem? Everytime we do a guide and solid ss valve upgrade (using the appropiate spring of course) these cars just rev and run without issue, without breakng the bank for the customers......
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2StrikeHtr
Congrats Howie - that's gotta be satisfying !

Thanks for the post and thanks Quick for posting the links.

Btw, I'll be going the WCCH route as well, but does anyone know of a Shop
with Cunningham Motorsports' level of expertise in North Florida ?? Thanks -
I dont know how close you are to Redline Motorsports, but Howard and Jay over there can easily take care of you.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont know how close you are to Redline Motorsports, but Howard and Jay over there can easily take care of you.
Thank you Ryne !

Get notified of new replies

To WCCH Track Data !!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Howie, I have to say that I am impressed not only by your results, but in how you have documented the whole thing.

All 4 of your threads, linked to below, and in regard to your new setup, have been informative, no nonsense threads which have erased some of the mistique, myths and misconceptions about this particular approach to the LS7 valve train issue.

Now, people can make up their minds with FACTS, instead of a lot of theories being bandied about.

This is undoubtedly, a safe and effective method of dealing with the LS7 valve train issue.

And I, for one, thank you for your efforts, and your attention to detail in your documentation.

Thanks Howie.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...pictorial.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...installed.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ock-heads.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...rack-data.html
Thanks Ricky, I really appreciate that

DH
Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

i sense your sarcasm, but what is your better idea to solve the problem? [1] Everytime we do a guide and solid ss valve upgrade [2] (using the appropiate spring of course) these cars just rev and run without issue, without breakng the bank for the customers......
1. What is the problem? Specifically. Are the OEM guides defective or incorrect for the application, are the OEM valves defective or incorrect for the application, or is it an assembly/machining/manufacturing/QC issue rather than the fault of any particular part or the design of any particular part?

2. Have you done a guide upgrade only? (retaining OEM exhaust valves). What is your opinion on the OEM exhaust valve? Is it safe?

3. This one is open to anyone that does heads for a living -- is there any downside regarding combustion chamber temps when exchanging the hollow sodium valve for a solid stem valve? If not, why in the world are the GM engineers specifying a sodium valve, which is designed to transfer more heat out of the combustion chamber than a non-sodium valve (solid or hollow)?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It was near the beginning of the first video. I suspected you had street tires due to the squealing in a couple of the corners. A setup Bimmer would definitely leave you in the corners if you were on street tires. At the Glen I can run them down if I am on track tires but they eat me alive if I am on street tires.

Bill
Bill

I gave him a point by on the inside. I don't remember exactly what that car had but you can see that it was race prepped with wing, suspension and tires. Plus you could see the way he pulled that it was not a stock motored BMW

Usually I catch all those guys on the long straight and I can hold 130mph thru the NASCAR turn. But the wind which has never been a factor there destroyed my confidence at end of straight and the whole Nacar turn. There were many guys (obviously this one too) who didn't seem to be bothered by the wind at all. My best time was in the next session (2nd video) and even that was 1.5 seconds off my PB

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH Track Data !!!!