Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Upgrading sway bars with DRM shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Spdfrk81
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upgrading sway bars with DRM shocks?

What are the benefits of upgrading sway bars while running DRM shocks or even stock shocks for that matter? Who's got the best sway bars on the market?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

With the Z06, upgrading sways usually brings the Z from an over steering monster to a more balanced and more predictable handling car. I personally enjoy the oversteer, so depending on your preference, there are lots of good sways out there. Adjustable ones are great if you're into fine tuning. I have the Pfadt light rate sways and really enjoy them, but any good sway bar combo will compliment the DRMs nicely.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM
20psirabbit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
With the Z06, upgrading sways usually brings the Z from an over steering monster to a more balanced and more predictable handling car.
Really? I have drm shocks and it made the car a little more mellow in terms of trying to step out, but it's still twitchy. What sway bars make the car less twitchy? All the cars I've ever put sway bars on in the past have usually made them a bit more twitchy if anything. I'd be interested in something that calms the oversteer snap down a little bit.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had any issues with oversteer or understeer on the track.
These can be controlled with a proper alignment. I personally never felt the swaybars needed an upgrade... but hey its your money.. you can blow 1k on pfadt swaybars, but the only thing it guarantees to get you is a headache..
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 20psirabbit
Really? I have drm shocks and it made the car a little more mellow in terms of trying to step out, but it's still twitchy. What sway bars make the car less twitchy? All the cars I've ever put sway bars on in the past have usually made them a bit more twitchy if anything. I'd be interested in something that calms the oversteer snap down a little bit.
Not sure where you are getting "twitchy" from? I was referring to understeer and oversteer. The DRMs due help with planting the rear which in turn gets rid of the "twitchy" feeling back there.

Snap oversteer can be reduced with proper front/rear sway bar stiffness.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

There is no doubt that the Z06 with factory set-up oversteers. If you take a look at the stiffness of the factory sway bars, the rear factory bars are stiffer than the fronts. The base coupe and Z51 have the traditionally stiffer front bar.

I have heard that the reason for the Z06 set-up is because of GMs work with Ron Fellows on the suspension tune for the Z06. He preferred a car with oversteer. If you can work the car with oversteer on the track, it can be very fast - it allows for a quick exit from corners.

However, few have the driving skills of Ron Fellows, and a more neutral set-up is often an advantage. I do prefer a bit of oversteer, but have found switching to Pfadt's Johnny O'Connell bars (along with DRM shocks) helped make the handling much more neutral.

The Pfadt JOC bars are also adjustable (rear) so that I could fine tune the handling to my preference (I went with the stiffest position for the rear, to keep some oversteer).

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/da...Comparison.jpg

I don't know what "twitchy" is either - the Z06 due to its high torque/power can step the rear end around pretty easily or you may be referring to the rear end moving out some on uneven pavement during turns. These can be helped by better shocks (DRM). But to reduce oversteer and bring the car to a more neutral handling, sway bars and/or coil-overs are needed.

Jim
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by LFZ
Not sure where you are getting "twitchy" from? I was referring to understeer and oversteer. The DRMs due help with planting the rear which in turn gets rid of the "twitchy" feeling back there.

Snap oversteer can be reduced with proper front/rear sway bar stiffness.
Do you have any recommendations on what front/rear sway bars will give the "proper" stiffness to reduce snap oversteer for a DRM shock equipped car?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LOUFY
Do you have any recommendations on what front/rear sway bars will give the "proper" stiffness to reduce snap oversteer for a DRM shock equipped car?
Pfadt JOC...rear sway is adjustable so you can set it pretty loose to help reduce the driver's tendency of snap oversteer. And stickier tires.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I asked Doug Rippie Motorsports about this as well when I purchased my DRM Bilsteins and they were of the opinion that the stock sways are great for the vast majority of the population...so I did nothing. But yes, its all about how you want your car to handle.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading sway bars with DRM shocks?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Upgrading sway bars with DRM shocks?