Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Elite Engineering Catch Can Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Elite Engineering Catch Can Install

After removing my ported throttle body for possible replacement with another offering form a different vendor and finding a puddle of oil in my intake manifold, I knew that it was time for a catch can.

I chose the Elite Engineering Catch can after reading several good things about it here in the forum and installed it today.
While I am sure that others will do things differently, this was my approach.

The Elite Engineering Catch Can Assembly comes packaged as such and contains all necessary hardware.

This is what it looks like out of the box.

It has a top portion which has a hole in the top for the elbow connection going to the engine's PCV system. And a side hole in the same upper portion, for a straight connection going to the intake manifold.

The straight, or exit connection, as mentioned earlier, will go to the intake manifold. A 14mm wrench is used to tighten it and this is as far in as it goes. The elbow connection will go to the engine's PCV system. I used blue Loctite on the connections, but teflon tape can be used as well. I arranged these so that the connectors would be parallel to each other and pointing towards the intake manifold.

The elbow connection is seen in this pic and this is what the top portion of the catch can looks like from it's underside.

There is a supplied bracket which attaches to the upper portion of the catch can assembly, using the supplied screws. A 1/8" hex wrench is used to tighten these screws.

The bracket attached.

This bracket and the upper portion of the catch can will attach to the passenger side cylinder head.
The two supplied screws are placed into the cylinder head for trial fit. A #6 hex wrench will be used to tighten them with the supplied lock washers to secure the bracket to the cylinder head.

To give myself a little more room to work I removed this sensor. You can see it's red clip in the pic below.

It slides off it's bracket.

And is disconnected once off the bracket.

Once it's out of the way I had an easier route to the PCV hose.

And with the hose off.

The sensor.

The hose.

There are two holes in the cylinder head where the bracket will be be secured. The upper hole has a push type fastener connected to the harness. Pull this out and use this hole as the upper attachment point for the bracket.
Now we can trial fit the screws which will be used to secure the catch can bracket.
Trial fit of the screws. They will be tightened with the supplied lock washers to secure the bracket, using a #6 hex wrench.

After the catch and bracket are secured, I ran the hoses. I ran the one to the PCV barb from the valley cover first. Some people don't use the clamps. I did. And the hose slips on easier if a little bit of WD40 is sprayed into the open end of it.

I ran this far enough to reach the upper barb (elbow port on top) of the catch can and then a little extra for good measure, before I cut it and used the other end to attach to the intake manifold to run to the side barb (straight port) of the catch can.

In order to make for the neatest install, I ended up having to remove the catch can from the bracket, and leaving the bracket attached to the cylinder head, so that I could reattach the sensor and route the hoses in such a way as to not leave any kinks, excessive curves or dips.

It's cold, so these hoses are stiff.

Hoses trimmed to the proper length and attached. I ran the hoses to the catch can, to the outside, or right of the hard plastic factory tubing which goes to the sensor.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bookmarked.

Going to be installing one soon, I just don't know which one to choose.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Great post. Perfect timing. My Elite Engineering catch can should be here tomorrow or Friday. Thanks.

I can not say enough about doing business with Jordan Priestley at JDP Motorsports. EXCELLENT vendor.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Good job Ricky.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by ssmoke
Great post. Perfect timing. My Elite Engineering catch can should be here tomorrow or Friday. Thanks.

I can not say enough about doing business with Jordan Priestley at JDP Motorsports. EXCELLENT vendor.
funny you posted this Ricky , I was having dinner wtih a group of friends last Friday and one of them who recently sold his C6 had orderded this catch can and never installed it so its new in the box in his garage, and will be sold to me at a nice discount
Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice write up.

I've read the dry sump tank insert from Aviaid will help prevent oil from getting into the intake manifold. Hoping that does the trick, otherwise I may consider one of these cans too.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Good choice of cans Ricky (think we talked about this?)

I have tried several and this one not only works the best, it also fits the best. And there is room to unscrew the bottom (to empty oil) before it bottoms out on the heater hoses running beneath.

I did not use any clamps as the hoses cannot move when they are inserted between engine and can. Thats the way I have mine too.

And congrats on getting the hoses to the correct ports ..... many mess this up or are very confused about it. (you don't seem too confused )

DH
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Good choice of cans Ricky (think we talked about this?)

I have tried several and this one not only works the best, it also fits the best. And there is room to unscrew the bottom (to empty oil) before it bottoms out on the heater hoses running beneath.

I did not use any clamps as the hoses cannot move when they are inserted between engine and can. Thats the way I have mine too.

And congrats on getting the hoses to the correct ports ..... many mess this up or are very confused about it. (you don't seem too confused )

DH
Thanks everybody.

Yes Howie, you are right on all counts above. The following pic shows the routing of the hoses a bit better

I also have a similar setup in my F150 and I know how much oil it catches. So installing one of these on the Vette was a no brainer. Don't know why I waited so long.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

it looks just like the CCA can on inside except it has a filter media as well.. The diff is also the cca has a drain **** on the bottom....
Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 AM
AussieZ06
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great, mine is about to be installed.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 AM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the helpful pics Ricky. Mine should be here this week.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,092 Likes on 576 Posts

Yep, luv my Elite catch-can... It was installed with everything else.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

These Elite Engineering catch cans are REALLY nice.

The directions from '06 Quicksilver Z06, the directions that come in the box and the directions on Elite Engineering website are all good. Surprisingly, during install I checked the throttle body and there really was no, ZERO, oil residue. (I'll take that.)

Like I typed earlier Jordan and JDP MOTORSPORTS is a great vendor.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm also completely satisfied w/ my EE can...excellent design, perfect fitment, works just as expected.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Dochopr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have used both EE and DC3 cans on my cars. Both due there job but like tbe EE. Installed mine using the adapter, it sits out and not hidden under the cover. Basic reason for this was Im using braided hoses and it was just to tight/crowded looking with the braided hose around the electrical bracket. Can really looks nice not hidden and with the braided hose, plus a little easier to get to.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

These Elite Engineering catch cans are REALLY nice.

The directions from '06 Quicksilver Z06, the directions that come in the box and the directions on Elite Engineering website are all good. Surprisingly, during install I checked the throttle body and there really was no, ZERO, oil residue. (I'll take that.)

Like I typed earlier Jordan and JDP MOTORSPORTS is a great vendor.
Nicely done.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Nater02
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an EE catch can as well. Their customer service is superb. I highly recomend

Get notified of new replies

To Elite Engineering Catch Can Install

Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
jashearer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why a catch can instead of routing hose down the back and slicing at an angle to create natural vacuum?

I know that's old school (pre EPA) but works for my duramax.

Jay
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Nicely done.
Thanks and thanks again for the write up. Like you, I originally used removable LocTite. I really did not like the way that the elbow screwed into the top of the catch can. (Before a thorough inspection, I actually thought that I may have stripped it.) Did you have a hard time screwing the elbow connector into the top of the catch can? Because of that, I switched to the teflon tape.

Also, I kind of like what Dochopr did with the adapter(s). Dochopr you used two adapters correct? One on top and one on bottom? I like the idea of moving that beautiful catch can forward a little bit to show it off and I wouldn't have to worry about my coil cover vibrating a scratch into the top of the catch can. (I hate scratches.)

'06 Quicksilver Z06 I spent a few hundred dollars this week keeping my car unnecessarily cherry. OEM splitter, air dam, color keyed door handles and a catch can. I sure hope that my heads REALLY are good. They seemed to measure out OK with john_g_46's tool. There is NO WAY, that I can spend money that I do not have on heads and a torquer 110.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks and thanks again for the write up. Like you, I originally used removable LocTite. I really did not like the way that the elbow screwed into the top of the catch can. (Before a thorough inspection, I actually thought that I may have stripped it.) Did you have a hard time screwing the elbow connector into the top of the catch can? Because of that, I switched to the teflon tape.

Also, I kind of like what Dochopr did with the adapter(s). Dochopr you used two adapters correct? One on top and one on bottom? I like the idea of moving that beautiful catch can forward a little bit to show it off and I wouldn't have to worry about my coil cover vibrating a scratch into the top of the catch can. (I hate scratches.)

'06 Quicksilver Z06 I spent a few hundred dollars this week keeping my car unnecessarily cherry. OEM splitter, air dam, color keyed door handles and a catch can. I sure hope that my heads REALLY are good. They seemed to measure out OK with john_g_46's tool. There is NO WAY, that I can spend money that I do not have on heads and a torquer 110.
You're welcome, and I hope that everything goes your way.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Elite Engineering Catch Can Install