Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 04:40 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I am so tired of reading about blown LS7's that I went to the C5 Z06 DISCUSSION. One of the first threads I came to was titled "Z06 went poof!" posted by 65vetter today.

It read "A friend of mine was driving his 2007 Z06 at 50-55 mph shifting to or out of 5th (i forget) when engine shutdown poof of smoke from tail pipes and he guided it to side of expressway.
He did not try and restart? said there was liquid on ground but did not look like oil. Maybe anti freeze? he did pop hood and saw no evident mess of liquid. it was 11:00 at night and car is at dealer waiting for Monday AM? car only has 11000 miles.

Anyone ever experience anything like this.
Thanks for any relies in advance.

frank"

I am sick of all of these blown motor threads. Not only do I not have 3K (If I do heads, I'm adding a TORQUER.) but I am also lacking a mechanic. Of course it may not be a dropped exhaust valve or even catastrophic in any way. Further, I do not know what year and what, if any mods, just tired of reading about failed Z06's.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default 100% agree

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Of course we all know that when any engine blows it is a weak stock exhaust valve at fault, there's no way oil starvation, cast pistons, constant race use and/or over-revs, etc, etc, ever had anything to do with it, GM is always at fault. That's why threads that start like this one with ABSOLUTELY no information other than "another engine blew" are so important to making the internet and this forum so useful

Thanks for the information Bill it has been so helpful and enlightening.

Cheers, Paul.
I agree 100% with your reply to this post. WTF is it with some folks that are always so quick to point fingers, whine and just basically be negative when the subject is not as clear as they think. So tired of the naysayers.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
I believe that he's saying the car in the OP dropped an OEM exhaust valve.

Given these multiple confirmations, it must be true
Speaking of "confirmations",.........

How's that "case number" working out for you?

They get you a new set of heads yet?

If I'm reading right, this is your two month anniversary with that case number.

Did you call them up yet and ask them what the delay is?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583236024

What kind of time frame did they give you for addressing your issue?

True, but the lack of details only prompts people to assume them or make them up. Given that, headlines are best withheld until facts are known. Otherwise you just have a feeding frenzy of speculation.
Perhaps I was just "speculating" that they were going to actually do something for you and your situation whereby your car still in warranty has been discovered by you personally to have at least one out of spec valve guide.

Did they give you any "detail" in the message to you with the case number?

Either way, I can see how it would "prompt you to assume" that they actually gave a care about you and your car.

Perhaps their "headlines" in the form of that case number they sent you, were "best withheld". But until "facts are known".....how's that case number working for you?

.....I have just today been assigned a case number from GM Cust. Svc. so it is possible that I may not have to address the issue out of my own pocket....
Yeah, it's "possible". But damn, and we were just talking about "speculation" too.

You giving them another two months?

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
At this point, who cares WHY it blew, just that a catastrophic failure occurred again is bad enough.
Precisely.

If it blew because of measles, mumps or rubella, at this point, with so many LS7s having already failed, and the immense damage to the engine's reputation already done at this point, due to GM's SNAFU, what does it matter in the overall scheme of things?

Originally Posted by SSMOKE
I am so tired of reading about blown LS7's that I went to the C5 Z06 DISCUSSION. One of the first threads I came to was titled "Z06 went poof!" posted by 65vetter today.

It read "A friend of mine was driving his 2007 Z06 at 50-55 mph shifting to or out of 5th (i forget) when engine shutdown poof of smoke from tail pipes and he guided it to side of expressway.
He did not try and restart? said there was liquid on ground but did not look like oil. Maybe anti freeze? he did pop hood and saw no evident mess of liquid. it was 11:00 at night and car is at dealer waiting for Monday AM? car only has 11000 miles.

Anyone ever experience anything like this.
Thanks for any relies in advance.

frank"

I am sick of all of these blown motor threads. Not only do I not have 3K (If I do heads, I'm adding a TORQUER.) but I am also lacking a mechanic. Of course it may not be a dropped exhaust valve or even catastrophic in any way. Further, I do not know what year and what, if any mods, just tired of reading about failed Z06's.
We all are Smoke. We all are.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-27-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
At this point, who cares WHY it blew, just that a catastrophic failure occurred again is bad enough.
Indeed

But the arrival of the ax-grinders was, sadly, a given.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Indeed

But the arrival of the ax-grinders was, sadly, a given.
What "ax-grinders"?

And if anyone should, or would, have an ax to grind, seems like it would be the guy with the 2 month old case number. And that would be you.

But, you seem to have a heart as big as Texas, in light of the fact that you knowingly have a defective product, which the manufacturer has in your case, paid lip service to, and yet another engine failure comes up, irrespective of reason, but yet you are in here defending the product which you yourself have a defective example of, all the while attacking other members in here calling the manufacturer out on it, and the manufacturer has thus far dragged his feet in your case and effectively told you to get lost.

They gave you a "case number" and effectively told you to "run along", but yet you are in here talking about "ax-grinders".

When they can treat you like that, treat you like ****, and have you still in here defending them....what's to stop them from continuing right along with business as usual.

But your ire is not directed towards them, it's directed towards anyone who would call them out on their methods.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-27-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
[...] If it blew because of measles, mumps or rubella, at this point, with so many LS7s having already failed, and the immense damage to the engine's reputation already done at this point, due to GM's SNAFU, what does it matter in the overall scheme of things?
If the LS7 is such a crap motor, why do you own one?

We all are Smoke. We all are.
Your and his participation in this thread indicates otherwise.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

What "ax-grinders"?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
I think some are still at number one because they say well it was tracked How many engines will it take....tracked modded stock low miles all the same problem damn ppl wake up
How does tracking verse a guy with a sunday cruiser not make a difference? Trust me it makes all the difference in the world.

What should people wake up about? That every LS7 is existence is going to blow up regardless of treatment or abuse? While you guys have collected and documented a lot of failures on this forum it pales in comparison to the overall production number in existence. These cars should be literally littered all over junk yards right now. When I see "9" as a big number it kinda makes me chuckle to be honest. Obviously you don't want to be one of those 9 but all cars fail and I can show you that kinda of failure in any brand.

I am not denying that the weak point in the LS7 is the stock exhaust valve and if you're going to fail from whatever the cause abuse, geometry ect... it will most likely be the item that makes it all go boom. With that it makes sense to take some preventative measures if you're high in miles and or you track and abuse the car more than the normal driver.

The whole "Wake Up!" is a bit much though given the numbers of failures and the lack of any word from GM other than "A select few" and "A small amount". Both of those statements have currently been proven to be true up to this point. No matter how you slice it the number of documented failures is a fraction of production builds.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

If the LS7 is such a crap motor, why do you own one?
Because it was cheaper to fix it than to get rid of it.

Next question.

If GM told you 2 months ago that they were giving you a case number, presumably so that they could address your issue, why are you still in here defending them and their product?

What? Holding onto the hope that if you march in lockstep and don't rock the boat, that they might someday come through on their "promise" in the form of that case number?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Because it was cheaper to fix it than to get rid of it.

Next question.

If GM told you 2 months ago that they were giving you a case number, presumably so that they could address your issue, why are you still in here defending them and their product?

What? Holding onto the hope that if you march in lockstep and don't rock the boat, that they might someday come through on their "promise" in the form of that case number?

Not to jump into the middle here but I am curious. Your vehicle is a 2006 right? Safe to say you own it. You made it through the entire process without the car failing. You could have sold it for 30Kish and never looked back.

How was fixing cheaper? Can you elaborate?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
How does tracking verse a guy with a sunday cruiser not make a difference? Trust me it makes all the difference in the world.

What should people wake up about? That every LS7 is existence is going to blow up regardless of treatment or abuse? While you guys have collected and documented a lot of failures on this forum it pales in comparison to the overall production number in existence. These cars should be literally littered all over junk yards right now. When I see "9" as a big number it kinda makes me chuckle to be honest. Obviously you don't want to be one of those 9 but all cars fail and I can show you that kinda of failure in any brand.

I am not denying that the weak point in the LS7 is the stock exhaust valve and if you're going to fail from whatever the cause abuse, geometry ect... it will most likely be the item that makes it all go boom. With that it makes sense to take some preventative measures if you're high in miles and or you track and abuse the car more than the normal driver.

The whole "Wake Up!" is a bit much though given the numbers of failures and the lack of any word from GM other than "A select few" and "A small amount". Both of those statements have currently been proven to be true up to this point. No matter how you slice it the number of documented failures is a fraction of production builds.
Really it makes a differnce? it should but thats not the case. and it's the same problem tracked modded stock..I've seen more worn an blown motors from cars that are stock than modded. I told you guys 3 years ago this would get much worse I guess I was wrong I got anothe set of toasted heads yesterday 13k miles 09 bone stock. the 9 that makes you chuckle is comming from what 1 member has seen I've seen 8 myself and about 20 sets of toasted heads, an a blown motor almost daily in here. this is not a small issue to say the least

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 04-27-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Really it makes a differnce? it should but thats not the case. and it's the same problem tracked modded stock..I've seen more worn an blown motors from cars that are stock than modded. I told you guys 3 years ago this would get much worse I guess I was wrong I got anothe set of toasted heads yesterday 13k miles 09 bone stock. the 9 that makes you chuckle is comming from what 1 member has seen I've seen 8 myself and about 20 sets of toasted heads, an a blown motor almost daily in here. this is not a small issue to say the least
Not to jump into the middle here but I am curious. Your vehicle is a 2006 right? Safe to say you own it. You made it through the entire process without the car failing. You could have sold it for 30Kish and never looked back.

How was fixing cheaper? Can you elaborate?
Well yeah, I would have looked back...and hard.

What would I replace it with?

Yes, I could have "cashed out" or liquidated it. But eventually it was either going to have to be replaced, or I would want it replaced. And at that point, whatever "savings" I would temporarily realize from having done so, would be negated.

I had thought about buying a ZR1 early on, when the car would have fetched about 40-42 grand.

That would have left at least a 60K gap had I gone the ZR1 route new, and about a 50K gap had I bought a ZR1 used at that time.

It only cost me about $2500 to "fix" my LS7.

The bill for my WCCH heads was $1909.74.

But I elected to mod it even further.

But just "fixing it" would have run me about $2500.00, but I didn't stop there. I added a cam and a few other things.

Much cheaper than had I gotten rid of it and bought that ZR1.

Also, because my car is an '06, much of the depreciation hit has been taken.

Can you imagine what the depreciation hit would have been had I traded it in on a new ZR1? Especially now with the C7 coming out.

I checked it out. By the time I got done with the sales tax, it was going to take my Z06 and about 60-65K (at least) to get into a new ZR1.

I didn't see that much difference between the two cars.

But the way I did it, I get to enjoy my car, already paid for, a little over 20K miles on it currently, and for a long time, and can still get some coin for it should I ever decide to part with it.

In other words, it's mine. I can enjoy it without worry, or I can **** on it if I want to.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-30-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Well yeah, I would have looked back...and hard.

What would I replace it with?

Say no more. I can understand this. I was speaking only in getting rid of it and not replacing. It would be easy to get rid of it. You would be VERY hard pressed to get something that matches its performance.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Really it makes a differnce? it should but thats not the case. and it's the same problem tracked modded stock..I've seen more worn an blown motors from cars that are stock than modded. I told you guys 3 years ago this would get much worse I guess I was wrong I got anothe set of toasted heads yesterday 13k miles 09 bone stock

Worn and failure are two different realities.

Worn + Track use or heavy footed abuse = failure. The reason why most of the cars out there aren't failing is they don't get the same abuse as someone who tracks a car. They simply dust it off and drive it to meet up or out to the country for some twisty roads with the wife. Sure they hop on it a bit but NOTHING compare to what a day at the track does.

This is what makes all the difference.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Say no more. I can understand this. I was speaking only in getting rid of it and not replacing. It would be easy to get rid of it. You would be VERY hard pressed to get something that matches its performance.
Exactly.

The way I see it, the LS7 is a diamond in the rough.

You just need to polish it up some, and you have a great, normally aspirated, and if you make the right modifications to it, DURABLE, engine which should serve you well for a long time.

It simply made no sense to me throw the whole thing out, when something relatively simple and inexpensive, could and would fix that which is regarded as a weak point for it.

$2500.00 is less than what some of these aftermarket warranties costs, and is less than what I pay for my Steelers tickets. And every Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night or Thursday night I go to the stadium to watch them, those bastards might lose.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

And you think those questions are irrelevant?

Like it or not each case is unique. You can't just lump them all together. It failing on the track does point in a direction of abuse however. Maybe it was the guys first time out though. Maybe the car had 60K miles on it. So many questions ZERO information so far in this thread to made any conclusions.
cars that fail at the track don't really concern me , neither do other ones reported like this where we know no details about the car to much missing info to really draw a legitimate conclusion
Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Worn + Track use or heavy footed abuse = failure. The reason why most of the cars out there aren't failing is they don't get the same abuse as someone who tracks a car. They simply dust it off and drive it to meet up or out to the country for some twisty roads with the wife. Sure they hop on it a bit but NOTHING compare to what a day at the track does.

Are you still living in the 60s, when engines and cars kept failing when pushed hard? Nevermind, what about LS3 engines? Why do they not fail? Because they're not driven hard at all?

Get notified of new replies

To Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday

Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

worn to .0140 plus is a motor thats ready to fail. these engines have issues ..it sucks but it's a fact
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Exactly.

The way I see it, the LS7 is a diamond in the rough.

You just need to polish it up some, and you have a great, normally aspirated, and if you make the right modifications to it, DURABLE, engine which should serve you well for a long time.

It simply made no sense to me throw the whole thing out, when something relatively simple and inexpensive, could and would fix that which is regarded as a weak point for it.

$2500.00 is less than what some of these aftermarket warranties costs, and is less than what I pay for my Steelers tickets. And every Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night or Thursday night I go to the stadium to watch them, those bastards might lose.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

worn to .0140 plus is a motor thats ready to fail. these engines have issues ..it sucks but it's a fact

So why aren't they dropping left and right? I drive my car quite hard. It should have failed by now. I track it as well. I should have failed by now. Not a tick... not a problem. So why am I ok?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday